Thread: question about an old kitty

question about an old kitty

Hello,
    I am usually on the dog section but I have a question about my boyfriends cat.
    She is close to 20 now, and has been feeling a little icky recently.
    They toke her to the vet a little while ago for a blister that formed on her ear. we wanted cauterize the tip of the ear but they said they they couldnt because it might be cancerous cells and it wouldn't fix anything, so they said they want to test for cancer, and test all of her organs to see how strong they are etc. She was an outdoor kitty for most of her life, had never been to the vet but when she was 16 to get a check up before they moved from California to here. Only had a couple shots in her life, doesn't love to snuggle, not a very big people person but.. she lived a hard life before they got her. Testing her whole body to see if she was old and close to the end really didn't make sense to them since they have been preparing for it for a while now, and know she is old and her body is tired.
    anyways, background done...
    She threw up a couple times this morning, and her movements are uncontrollable. Very watery, and when they are ready. All my boyfriend is explaining is "it is almost like dark water coming out and it just drips out, like she doesnt know she has to go so she cant make it to her litter box." What can they do or give her to settle her tummy so she doesn't get to stressed out or put too much pressure on her body since she is such a old lady? I feel so bad, I am not a big cat person, i dont have any but an animal is an animal and I feel for the poor old girl. I am scared that she is getting really sick and that the stress of them trying to keep her in one area will make her worse. hopefully somebody has some advice thanks for reading!

The best thing would be to get her to a vet and have a complete check up. I seen cats live for 26 years. I am sure that there is still allot of love in her.
    GILL & Crew;

Absolutely, take her to the vet asap.

I so so agree for a Vet visit is due now.. Poor wittle old lady.. My Miss Priss lived to be 21 1/2 almost 22 yrs old.. Just keep your baby comfy & have plenty of newspapers for her to go on & baby wipes for her bottom cleaning.. See with one of my CH babies we have to do potty detail with baby wipes.. Let us know how the Vet visit turns out.. Get well soon wittle girl..
    Quote Originally Posted by GILL View Post
    The best thing would be to get her to a vet and have a complete check up. I seen cats live for 26 years. I am sure that there is still allot of love in her.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

GILL is correct. Your kitty needs a complete check up. Bloodwork and x-rays. If there is anything wrong, you'll know right away and will be able see her and decide what is in her best interest.

Good luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Yes, it's vet time. She could become dehydrated very quickly and at her age, that could be deadly. I have a 20 1/2 year old who is on fluids and she's still got lots of life and love left in her, so a vet visit will help your kitty and tell you what you need to know. Prayers are going up that all will be well for the old gal.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I finally went over to see for myself.
    It wasn't THAT bad...
    I made a cold bed for her, just some blankets over ice packs to cool her down. she was waaaaaaay too hot. cant force her to drink but a little childrens pedialight in a bowl and she drank some of that. 2 1/2hours after the cold bed, and shut in a room where it was dim light and nobody trying to touch and check on her she had a solid stool and was fine.

I talked to them about the vet, they don't see it in her interest so I called a vet I know to see if this was a reasonable conclusion. At her age and NEVER been to the vet before... well 1 time, being an outside cat living in the trees off of birds and small rodents/just scavenging for more than half her life, doing a full blood panel x-ray didn't seem like it would do much for her after the cost. Finding out she has a fatal disease, or cancer, or anything like that will just cause emotional pain. She shows no physical signs of pain or distress, and if she did have cancer, going through any therapy to treat an illness could be just as fatal. I made a promise with them that if she does start to show signs of pain or acts different she must go in to see what is wrong. They agree. So for now "Cutie" is fine, she just needed a little cooling down in the end! Thank you everybody, if I have any more questions I hope that I am welcome back!

Non-flavored Pedialite I use all time. Another thing is to give her canned food and add water to it. This will keep her from getting dehydrated.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

A vet can discover a lot of things that are easily fixed, not just a fatal disease or cancer. Sometimes cats get stomach bugs, or allergies, or any number of things. Often they're things that can be remedied without spending a lot of money - a shot, a short course of pills, or a different food can often make all the difference in the world.

Love, Columbine