I wasn't sure where to really post this, but I thought 'General' might be ok
Here is what happened--my mom's friend called her last Wednesday (about 6 days ago now) and told her that there was a baby bird out in her back yard and it had been there and had not left for 3 days. We've raised a lot of baby animals that have been wild so I guess that's why she called my mom. My mom went to check it out and it was a baby hawk. It was so thirsty that its tongue was stuck to the upper part of its mouth. She gave it a little drip of water off of her hand and brought it home. The mother was nowhere in sight and from what her friend said it had been there for days. So she was afraid it would die if she just left it.
We've had him now for 6 days and we're calling him Hector until we can figure out what to do. We've been feeding him this baby bird feed stuff....you mix it up with warm water. It is what we fed our tiels and conure when they were babies. He has been eating on his own--we feed him ofcourse with a little dropper but he is always ready to eat. We feed him 6 times a day right now.
I don't know if his wing is broken or what. I don't know why he was all alone--I wonder if his mother was killed--or what?
We also give him mashed up catfood. I read online that was good for them. He likes it.
My mom has called a WildLife place in B'ham a couple of hours from us. But we got no answer. I'm sure she'll call them back later. He is very sweet and not afraid at all. He lets us hold him. At night he sleeps in Ivory's old cage. (Ivory is our cockatoo) We put some hay in it for him and he'll snuggle up so tight that you can't tell where his head starts
Is there anything else we should be doing right now? Has anyone ever found a hawk/raised one? Anyone that's had any experience with one we'd love to hear about it.
Thanks!
Genny