Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do I Do Now?

What a scare!!!! Thank God they are both okay!

We leave both our girls in the house when we are gone. Living in town, I am just too afraid they will find a way to get out of the fence or someone would let them out. Cincy is still crated cause she chews on the door frames, but Sadie has the house (except the bedrooms). They really don't seem to mind. Cincy goes in her crate pretty willingly and Sadie just sleeps on the couch

Is it possible they got out underneath somehow?

I'm glad you caught them. Things could have been much worse!

My sister has seven Siberian huskies. She had to put electric wire around the top of her six foot fence. Judging from her experiences, if a husky wants out, it is going to get over the fence. The electric wire stops hers, though. And it doesn't do any damage to them, it's just a little shock. My sister and I both touched the wire to make sure before she used it with the dogs. It is quite an unpleasant sensation, that's for sure, but its not agonizing or anything. Better a little shock once or twice than hit by a car.

You said it was raining? Prehps the storm scared them. Belle and Blue are very storm scared. We just had the tropical depression thingy and Belle was on the porch. During the worst part of the storm, she freeked and tryed to take our door off the hinges. My husband opened the door to get on to her and she bullied her way inside and layed down. She stayed in until it stopped raining. Keep an eye on them in bad weather and see if you can stop a pattern.
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

Oh, I am so glad they were not hurt!! I would have passed out!!!

Even though I have a large yard with a 6 ft. fence with key locks on all the gates, I still go out in the yard with them. In fact, now, if someone isn't outside with them, they would rather be inside. I am such a worrier.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Anna,

My goodness, I am about to have a panic attack just reading this thread. I am sure you are beside yourself with worry! I am so glad things turned out okay and neither of them are hurt. I hope you can find a good solution to the problem.

Huney and Roxey - pleeeaaaaaaase stay in your yard, ok? You'll be much safer and happier and you won't give your mommy a heart attack! Angus, you keep your eye on those wild girls for your mommy.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Oh My Goodness!!! Sweet Little Roxey?! The one who stole my heart?! ugh, she must have taken lessons from her new friend Keegan!!
    I really don't know what to tell you to help other than make the fence bigger or use an electric fence.
    I am so glad they are both OK!! Leave to the ornery girls!!! And poor Angus being the old gentlemen he is knowing they were in harm's way and in TROUBLE WITH MOMMY!!!
    Good luck and Keep us posted!!!
    CONFIDENTIAL TO HUNEY AND ROXEY FROM KEEGAN:
    GIRLS: You can't do that again!! I mean I get loose and my mom had to get in the car and chase me around the neighborhood but I stuck in the yards. DO NO GO INTO THE ROAD, silly girls!!!Roxey, I beg of you not to do it again!!! I won't get to see you at the park with Huney and all our friends if you do it again!!! Your mommy might put you in permanent timey-out!!!
    Slurps!!
    And paw slugs!!!
    Love,
    Keegie!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Thanks everybody! I still was really upset last night when I came home. Can you just imagine coming home & both of your dogs laying in the ditch or on the road dead? The thought of it just kills me.
    Yes, it was raining, but not storming. Mark said he looked around the fence, no dig holes, so they had to have gone over (figures!). He could tell the corn had been moved around alot, so maybe there was an animal they were after? Who knows, there's been plenty out there before & they never tried to go over.
    We do have an electric fence (about 10 yrs old). We put it up because Angus crawled over the fence a few times after we moved here. But it hasn't been turned on in forever. So we're going to put up new wire, and get a kennel also. That way if we have to be gone all day they can be outside instead of having to stay in the house. I haven't let them out alone since this happened & Roxey can't stand it! I just told her "tough!" I hate having to think of taking her freedom away, but if I have to I will with no 2nd thought. Can't really think of any other answers to our problem but the electric fence (can't afford to get a really high fence & even if we could I don't think it's allowed where we live. Guess we'll just have to see if this fix works. Please everyone pray that it don't happen again. I don't know if they could be that lucky twice!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Oh No!!! Anna...I am glad to hear they didn't get hurt and wern't taken by the dog pound! That must have been very scary! I'm glad to hear everything is ok though!

Oh, Anna, that must have been so very scary. Thank God they ended up safe and sound. I can well understand you not letting them out on their own right now, I think I would be the same. I do not have any suggestions for you but from what everyone says your plan to renew the electric fence seems a good option. Prayers going out that it never ever happens again.

I agree with Logan. Better a little less freedom and not out running. Our dogs are inside whenever we're gone for that very reason. I would just die if that happened...so I TOTALLY understand your feelings. We crate some of ours and let others out to roam the house because they are trustworthy enough. Reading your story brought back that fateful day when all but Sox got out one morning before I went to school...that was awful, to say that I've changed THAT routine is an understatement. Poor Angus, he sounds like a worrywart...good for him to be worried about his sisters. I would definitely suggest crates or leave them in the house.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

How high is the fence? Maybe you could make it bigger? If it keeps them in, then it would be worth it.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Anna, what a scare, you must have been terrified when you saw them in the street, I know I would have been. I agree if they once found out they can do that, it will happen again.
    I think the outside pen would maybe be a good idea, one can get pretty tall chain link fence and make it big enough so they have some room. Our son had a Rottweiler and that's what he did, Bear was in there during the day and he put a shade thing on top and when they got home from work he would come in the house. I don't think the chain link fence would be that expensive and one could do that themselves.
    Good luck in whatever you decide and I am so glad both of them are O.K.
    Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

Anna, that is a tremendous scare! I know that it would be SO expensive, especially since your yard looks so huge from the pictures, but is it at all possible to put up a wooden privacy fence? Kersey can and will jump cyclone fences if she is tired of being in the yard, so we knew that if the house we found didn't already have a privacy fence, that we would have to put one up right away. We were lucky that the house already had one, but we were prepared in case the house we found needed one.

If the privacy fence is just too expensive, then the electric fence sounds like the best idea.

I am so sorry that you have to go through this. While we were getting our kitchen remodeled, the guy who was doing it was careless with the dogs and he left the gate open a couple of times. I was not aware of it because my sweet neighbors lured the dogs back into the yard with a handful of cookies and she shut the fence behind them. I came home one day with a note on my door that they have found the dogs either in the front yard, or sniffing around in the boulevard, and put them back in the yard. Boy did I give that contractor a piece of my mind!

Anyway, good luck. I hope they don't do it again, although I would keep them indoors until you get something resolved, because not that they know how to, I would fear that they will keep doing it.

Oh, Anna, what a fright!! I'm so glad you got there just in the nick of time before they were hauled off to jail! And so relieved to hear that no one was injured. My Cody (Husky) can scale any fence!! We have a large backyard, about 1 1/2 acres. The back half is 6 foot fence, wire, buried 1 ft. below ground. The rest is privacy fencing. She HAS escaped before and since then, I never leave her or Star alone outside if I leave; even with the gates locked. She is so bonded to me after having been adopted that she will even try to climb through windows, bust through screens, scale fences, anything to find me! Once she climbed the wood pile and got over the fence that way. Sounds like you've gotten lots of good advice. Glacier sure knows Huskys!! One problem with electric fences is that they don't prevent other dogs from coming IN! But that, combined with a kennel, sounds like a good compromise. I know how terribly frightened you were. Just the thought of them loose on the streets gives me shivers. God was definitely keeping an out for them that day. Give those sweeties a hug from all of us.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I am so sorry to hear that. That must have been a terrible situation. I hope your dogs don't do it again.

My dog is like that also. I let him out in the backyard to run around. But then I go back outside to get him and he is gone! I search and search and I cannot find anyway for him to get out. So one day I watched him threw the window and what do oyu know he somehow opened the gate even though it was shut. How strange.

Lynn101