Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calloway has found a new foster home!!

Calloway has found a new foster home!!

Not sure who is following my one thread in the Dog House, but some of you know that I've been going to a certain resort for the past month or so. Well, for the summer I'm going to be working there, which also entails me living there. It's about an hour ride each way to get to the resort, so I've opted to live up there for the summer and have a pet sitter for my guys at home. It's the only way that the job will work out for the best, that I can make money, and pay down some of my debt (which is substantial).

The problem in all of this is the fact that Calloway needs to have his insulin twice a day. I've thought about taking him with me, but when I talked to the owner of the resort, found that that was not an option (and wouldn't have been a good one anyway). My petsitter also will not give medication to my cats. Thankfully no one is sick, no one needs medication except for Calloway.

The shelter that I volunteer with has been looking for a replacement foster home for Calloway, but have come up empty. I'm so stressed right now, and have no idea what is going to happen. Calloway is the sweetest little cat in the world, and I love him to death, but he needs to get his medicine twice a day. There is no other way for him to stay healthy. Our shelter pays for all of his special food, his medicine and his needles, I just need someone who would be willing to foster him. Adoption would be great, but right now I'm just asking for the minimum which is fostering.

I can't not take the job. I have to take it and get my debt under control from when I was out on sabbatical. It's just overwhelming me at the moment and making all of this worse.

If anyone knows of anyone who can foster, or who would want to adopt a sweet sweet tuxie boy, PLEASE PLEASE get in contact with me. I'm attaching a flier I have of him that I've put up at the vet, put up at work, I've emailed everyone that I can think of, I'm just at the end of my rope here, and time is running out. I leave for the resort on the week of the 8th, and I will only be back at the house sporadically. The petsitter is basically looking in on them for free because she lives next door, she just won't do meds, and especially not needles.

I hope someone here will see Calloway's sweet little face and want to do something to help him. I'm out of options.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 05-22-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Oh, dear!

Jen, is there a vet tech at your vet, or someone they know, that would come to your place twice a day and give Calloway his meds and feed him, etc?

Don't know how expensive that would be...

I hope they put out an APB with other vets!

HUGS and I hope Calloway gets the perfect foster home soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've done that too, had friends care for my cats in a routine way but paid a tech to come in twice a day for special care. The cost can rack up, though, over the weeks. Can people from your rescue rotate coming to your place to take care of Calloway? I'm sorry that I leave clean across the country from you.

I can't afford to do that, have a tech come in twice every day. I doubt the shelter could either.

I really need a foster to take him in. The shelter may have someone, but they won't have room till July, and I have to leave the week of June 8th. So, even that is not going to work unless I can get someone to take him until the foster has room in July. SIGH.

You might want to see if you can get some help on www.felinediabetes.com. They're plugged into the sugarcat community.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    You might want to see if you can get some help on www.felinediabetes.com. They're plugged into the sugarcat community.
    thanks for this, but I don't see how it applies to getting him a new foster or new home.

Jenn you might ask Donna = mooshoos mom or John = GILL to maybe foster for you.. They are both near you somewhat.. I would in a Heart Beat but Texas is too far away..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I think they are both up to their eyelids in cats... I would love to have either of them foster him though.

Jenn my wife will kill me, but if you can’t find anyone else let me know.
    By the way I drive 1 1/2 - 3 hours each way to work, the 3 hour is usually on the Friday during the summer.
    GILL & Crew;

Thank you Gill, I will definitely keep you in mind. I have no takers as of yet for my sweetie that will work out.

Is his sugar under control with the insulin now?

He's at 8 units 2xs a day, and seems to be better. It's a lot, but he's a lot of cat, lol. Less peeing and hovering around the water bowl. He goes in for a check up next week, so we'll see what they have to say.

Ok... as of now Jen L. is going to take Calloway the week I leave for Sunny Rest until July when another volunteer can take him.

Crossing my fingers that this all works out!! Calloway is such a good boy, I just want the best for him.

Gill, we'll keep you on back up in case the July foster falls through (unless Jen L. falls in love with Calloway by that time, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    (unless Jen L. falls in love with Calloway by that time, lol).
    Well I am a sucker for a black tuxie!

I just wish I could get down by a few fosters (at this moment I am 4 cats over where I like to be)

Sarafina and Angelica MUST be out in order for Calloway to stay. They hate other cats and are in a separate room 97% of the time. The exact room I would like to start Calloway in, until he's comfortable.

Velvet and Locket are the other 2 that I hoped would have moved on by now. But that is looking bleaker by the day. They just aren't "flashy enough to attract attention.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If anyone can help with those babies, I could have a permanent spot for Calloway.

Maybe you could offer someone free room and board in your place, in exchange for them taking care of ALL your cats? Surely someone would jump at that chance?