Thread: treadmill

treadmill

hey! I decided to try to teach harley to walk on the treadmill. We went for a short walk first and then came back when it started to rain. I went down to the building and started praising him everytime he walked to the treadmill. Then I would praise him when he showed intrest in it while I was on. He seemed to really like it when he saw me walking on it. Then he got praised everytime he would walk over it with me and eventually after he stayed on it for a few seconds. I finally turned it on while he was on it and of course he went crazy. Everytime he would do that I would hold him there a few seconds and then turn it off. Then I would have him sit on it with me again. Eventually I did end up just holding him there untill he began to walk on it but even then he leaned on me the whole time. If I stopped supporting him he would freak out again. I got him to walk on it for about 4 or 5 minutes. turned it off and then had him sit on it with me agian before we went up to the house. I want him to like it and not be so afaid of walking on it, but I'm afraid that I'm going to loose his trust in me by making him walk on it and I don't want that. It just makes me feel bad. Any advise on how you all go about it would be great. Thanks

I know when I encourage Shawnee by saying "good girl" in a friendly, likeable tone of voice while she is on the treadmill she seems to stay on it better. I mean, she likes the treadmill anyway, but occasionally if I stop paying attention to her for a while she'll try to walk off of it and towards me (who is sitting in a chair watching dog-related tv shows of course). My other two pooches Hector and Tatum want no part of the treadmill. They just put on the 4 wheel breaks and their nails dig into the belt and really scrape it good. JUst remember to stay confident, friendly, and encouraging as well as "calm, assertive" when trying to get a dog on a treadmill. Your post about your dog being on a treadmill has inspired me to try it again with Tatum and Hector, and for that I thank you!

lol, one persons bad luck is another inspiration I guess,

I ended up successfully getting Tatum on the treadmill last night, LOL. First time that has ever happened after several attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamparkingspace View Post
    I ended up successfully getting Tatum on the treadmill last night, LOL. First time that has ever happened after several attempts.
    awww! good job!