Thread: Findlay teen suspended for dancing

Findlay teen suspended for dancing

Good for him for going out with his girl.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rld&id=6808162

FINDLAY, Ohio (KABC) -- It sounds like it came straight from the script of the 1980s film "Footloose."

Seventeen-year-old Tyler Frost of Findlay, Ohio, was suspended by his fundamentalist Baptist school because he went to his girlfriend's prom over the weekend.

Heritage Christian School forbids dancing, rock music, and holding hands.

Officials there had warned the senior that he'd be suspended and banned from participating in graduation ceremonies if he attended the public school dance, but he went anyway.

"Prom itself, I mean I don't see anything wrong with it and I'm not going to change my viewpoints on something just because someone else doesn't like it," he said.

Frost's stepfather agrees, saying the rules shouldn't apply outside of school.
    Frost has been suspended for the rest of the year.

His parents say the school told them he can return the week after graduation to take his final exams and receive his diploma.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Well rules are rules.. And since this was a Church School with Beleifss then so be it.. The boy broke the Golden Rule after they warned him not too..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

What's with kids nowadays. First they hold hands then they start
    dancing, it's all down hill from there.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Isnt that the truth.. I mean as long as its just holding hands & dancing = should be of no worries.. Also I have never heard of Baptist not dancing & holding hands.. But they warned him not too..
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    What's with kids nowadays. First they hold hands then they start
    dancing, it's all down hill from there.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Isnt that the truth.. I mean as long as its just holding hands & dancing = should be of no worries.. Also I have never heard of Baptist not dancing & holding hands.. But they warned him not too..

I was just kidding. Seems so mild compared to what kids CAN get
    into these days.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Reminds me of what my moron sister did while she was in school-she was told not to attend another school's event, my mom had to go the head nun and apologize for the idiot's behavior...THESE DAYS theparents go ape crap when the schools impose their rules.

If he wanted to go out and dance he should not get upset if someone changes the music.

Dance, moron, Dance!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Well, that was the rule when he enrolled in school. He knew it, and chose to break it. The school has to impose consequences for that, if they don't, pretty soon the belief system to school was founded on is going to mean nothing to those kids.

I personally think it's ridiculous, but what I personally think doesn't matter, I'm not attending the school. No matter what a school's rule, they have to enforce it.

I don't think dancing is allowed in the Baptist church. I KNOW it's not in the Assembly of God and Nazarene church, offshoots of the Babtists. When I was growing up, dancing was a BIG sin in our church. Big, big, big. Right up there with playing cards. Whopper sins. Goes without saying, when I got old enough to do so, I quit attending that church.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Q: Why don't Baptists make love standing up?

A: It might lead to dancing.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

...What? Why live life if you can't dance.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Q: Why don't Baptists make love standing up?

A: It might lead to dancing.

LOL Funny.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well, reading into some other news sites, it seems if he wanted to attend the event, he had to get a permission slip signed by the principal. The principal signed the slip, the student went, and the school board decided the slip didn't matter and they suspended him.

So even going by the proper channels, he still got burned.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

This is such an ugly side of religion. Brainwashing is more like it. Either God finds dancing a sin or not and no where is it written in the bible that
    I know of. What this church/school is doing is mind control. If the parents had any sense they would tell the church and school to stuff it where the sun don't shine. I can't believe that people still follow this type of belief in 2009. It's shocking like something out of the 1700's.

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    This is such an ugly side of religion. Brainwashing is more like it. Either God finds dancing a sin or not and no where is it written in the bible that
    I know of. What this church/school is doing is mind control. If the parents had any sense they would tell the church and school to stuff it where the sun don't shine. I can't believe that people still follow this type of belief in 2009. It's shocking like something out of the 1700's.
    There are mentions of dancing leading to bad things (When Moses was on the mountain the Isrielites built an idol and danced around it is the primary example I thought of) Other than that it is considered sinful if one is dancing to stir up lustful disires out of wedlock but if you are dancing in praise or in a manner that isnt drawing attention to something that is sinful then it is ok. I don't think it was the dancing itself the school had a problem with its the suspected nature of the dancing. Personally I don't think high schoolers should be acting the way they do at some dances but as long as it was supervised as a Christian I don't see the issue.
    I tend to be thought of as a very liberal Christian though.
    Last edited by DJFyrewolf36; 05-17-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: I had a thought

My question is if someone is dancing, how do you know what if any lustful thoughts are in their mind? They could be doing a slow waltz and be dreaming of Johnny Depp or a trillion other things. Lustful thoughts happen every 17 or so seconds in the human male. That is the way we are wired, weather you believe God created man so or we came from the apes that's a fact. Dancing is a beautiful form of art, a fun exercise, a healthy way to stay in shape and a fun way to spend a night out. Those that think they can stop lustful thoughts by stopping dancing need to take a science course and join the real world with facts. No disrespect meant here just basic 5 th grade science.

I saw that on the news and didn't understand why a religion would ban simple things such as this. You might as well say no having fun. This is why I say I believe in religion to an extent. I am Roman Catholic and I do believe that there is a good, heaven and hell but these "restrictions" are ridiculious. Rules are rules..sure but some are meant to be broken. The boy did not nessicarily(sp?) want to be enrolled in this school, his parents could have made him. While, I don't think this is going as far as pure brain-washing yet, it is well on it's way there.