Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone watch Dog Whisperer?

Does anyone watch Dog Whisperer?

I watch it usually whenever it's on NatGeo. It always seems to be a little educational. I try to pick up a little dog training techniques from wherever - Cesar, Victoria Stillwell, the obedience trainers I see at dog classes here in Flint, whatever works for me, etc. When I focus too hard on trying to do one person's techniques I end up getting frustrated. Cesar got me really interested in dogs and dog training, and since watching his show I seem to be more passionate about pooches. Anyway, anyone else watch the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic channel?

If I had the cable or the satalite I watch the Its Me or the Dog Lady. Ceasar can go lay down.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I personally can not stand that show he is just a moron but thats my thoughts on him and i know others like him

We watched him back when we had NatGeo... I personally think some of his techniques work. We use several with Bunny... And it's helped her come a long way. Each dog is different, as well as each human, so there will always be fans and nay-sayers.. Seems like CM brings out the latter.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

I love that show and watch it all the time. Alot of his techinques make since when you think about it. It has helped me out alot with harley, but he still has a long way to go.
    Last edited by stace1319; 05-09-2009 at 04:01 PM.

I watch the show sometimes. He's okay in my book.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I wathced his show a few times and don't like him one single bit.

What don't some of you like about Cesar? I mean, it's hard to deny how balanced and happy his pack of 30+ dogs look.

Unfortunately we don't get the National Geographic channel. Though, a few months ago I was able to watch an episode or two while at my aunt's house. I found the show incredibly interesting and enjoyed watching how he approached different issues... I would probably be watching it all the time if able to.

I do get Animal Planet and really enjoy watching Victoria Stillwell help work through issues with the dogs. I don't watch tv much at all, but I am always up for an episode of Its Me or the Dog.

I, too, am a bit curious as to why many of you do not like Cesar Millan...

I don't like him either. While he may know how to train a dog (although I don't think much of his pack is trained, they're just scared of the authority figure), he doesn't know how to physically care for a dog.

He does some very dangerous things on the show, and people are likely to do the same. He'll run a large dog to the brink of exhaustion (newfoundland picky eater episode) and then while the dog is panting heavily trying to cool off in the kiddie pool, he brings in a large meal for the dog!!! Does he want the dog to get sick or die? And then he tells the owners to do the same. I'll bet that dog has died of bloat since the episode.

He never gets dogs vet checked before starting them on immediate strenious exercise programs.

His dogs are never on leash when walking through neighborhoods with leashed dogs in training. Who watches to see if his dogs pooped in somebody's yard a few blocks back? Who watches his dogs as they mingle around in the middle of the road? What a moron.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I watch it sometimes. I think he is a very good trainer, I've even got some tips off him and some of them seem to work for me!!!!

I personally love the dog whisperer and would have made alot more mistakes with Valentine if I had not started watching when we got him at 3 months. I do ignore some of his sage advice though,(lol) and give affection to my dog when he is excited to see me when I get home, and he sleeps in bed with us. How do you not greet excitement when it meets you at the door? That is the best part of my day. Kelley, and Valentine, yes still no Siggy or pics, too poor for camera, "I'm so poor I can't afford to pay attention". grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Seravieve View Post
    We watched him back when we had NatGeo... I personally think some of his techniques work. We use several with Bunny... And it's helped her come a long way. Each dog is different, as well as each human, so there will always be fans and nay-sayers.. Seems like CM brings out the latter.

Amen to that. I like the show very much & watch it sometimes. This
    season it's on the same time as Animal Planet's" Escape To Chimp Island"
    So don't watch as much. I also signed up for Cesar's Newsletter once
    a month. It has a lot of information & film clips.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    His dogs are never on leash when walking through neighborhoods with leashed dogs in training. Who watches to see if his dogs pooped in somebody's yard a few blocks back? Who watches his dogs as they mingle around in the middle of the road? What a moron.
    His dogs are always leashed when I've watched. The only one I've ever seen him have off leash while on the show is Daddy. But he's had him for a long time. And when you have that kind of relationship with a dog... I don't see a problem with it. Daddy is the mellowest dog I've ever seen. He just waddles along... I've never seen any dog wonder in the middle of the road either. His dogs are always right next to him and the 'trainee' dog.

With a camera crew filming for the show.. I'm sure SOMEONE would notice if a dog pooped..

CM treats/trains the dog at hand.. not all dogs with similar problems. They have a disclaimer, says seek professional help, yada yada... So its a case by case show.. There's no blanket techniques that will work for every dog.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

I disagree, I'd bet Cesar has never killed a dog from bloat. I actually think he has saved several dogs' lives by educating the public about how to be a responsible dog owner .