Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking for more Prayers please..(UPDATE! Post 23. My baby girl is back home.)

Asking for more Prayers please..(UPDATE! Post 23. My baby girl is back home.)

Please say a prayer for my Lindy Lou this time.

As most of you know, Lindy Lou is a polydactyl and she is having problems with one of her claws which is next to her thumb. Unfortunately she will have to get it removed. Everytime I have to clip her nails, that claw is so hard to get to that I land up hurting sweet Lindy when I try to spread her paws open to get to it. It is so far back compared to the others and really squeezed in there. Even the vet had a hard time that she hurt Lindy also. It has grown so thick and wide that it is becoming impossible to clip, plus it is starting to curl into her paw. I don't know why, but that one claw seems to grow faster than the others. Maybe it's because I can't clip it as close like the others.
    I know this isn't a full declaw, just that one claw, but I am so against declawing that I feel sick to my stomach that she has to go through this.
    The vet warned me last year that it might have to eventually happen and unfortunately, now it has.

It's her right paw that will have to be done. Notice the difference in size of the thumb on her left paw compared to the right one. Her left thumb is more flexible compared to the right one. It's more stiff, that's why I have problems trying to get to the claw beside it.

I will be bringing her in tonight and she will have the surgery tomorrow.
    I have LES right now just writing about it.

Please say a prayer for my poor sweet girl, Lindy Lou, that everything will turn out okay.
    Last edited by rg_girlca; 05-09-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: To add to the title

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Lindy will be FINE!!!!!!! Sarafina, one of the white poydactyl foster twins I hAve, had 1 dewclaw removed for the exact same reason. She had no problems whatsoever!!

Declawing (in this case) is better than the infection that can result If the nail grows into the skin. OUCH!

Jen is right, you are doing the right thing for Lindy Lou!!! HUGS to you both and prayers, too....Lindy Lou is very cute!!! Love those mits!!

Lorraine, this is really, absolutely, the right thing to be doing for Lindy Lou. God bless you and your vet for doing this. Removal of a claw like that, which serves no positive purpose for the cat anyway, is much better than having it grow into the paw pad.

A cat came into our shelter not long ago with a nail like that, growing into the paw pad. The area around the pad was all bloody and painful for the cat. He went straight to the vet, who fixed him right up.. before it got infected, which would have led to major problems.

P.S., and here's a candle for Lindy Lou and you: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...ng&cid=8351384
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I echo what everybody else has said. This limited declawing is necessary surgery in Lindy Lou's case. My Hagrid has nearly the same problem, and I have to keep a close eye on his paws and take him to the vet whenever he needs to have those in-between claws clipped. The vet hasn't suggested removing those claws, but I've thought about asking whether it would be a good idea.

Prayers for Lindy (((HUG)))
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thank you everyone for your prayers.

Phesina, thank you for lighting a candle for Lindy Lou.

Don't get me wrong, I do not feel guilty about this and I know that it is the right thing to do for her to prevent future complications. It's just the thought of her having to go through this that's hard on me.

Thank you Jen for letting me know that one of yours had gone through this, but it doesn't stop this old gal from being worried about it. She was so scared tonight that I'm wondering if she remembers back from 10 days ago when we brought her to the vet to have this checked out and the vet hurt her. Could this be possible?

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

fortunately she doesn't walk on her thumbs so I don't think it will be too hard on her. If your vet happens to have a surgical laser (some do, some don't) then it would be even easier on her, since it cauterizes as it cuts. Even for a full-on declaw, cats were a lot more comfortable with the laser surgery.

rg_girlca,

Lindy Lou will be okay. Mollie Rose had double dew claws. The vet removed them to prevent them from being caught and possibly pulled out. She's no worse for wear and is now 16 years old.

She and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Lorraine, my RB Puddy had the exact same problem except I somehow managed to clip that claw w/out causing any pain. Don't ask me how because, if you'll recall, Puddy was a handful! I would've had the claw removed in a heartbeat if my vet had suggested it. In this case, it's the right thing to do for Lindy Lou. She'll have PT prayers as her backup, so no worries there. Keep the faythe and dry those tears. She'll be fine.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prayers are coming you way.

I know with my Sebastian he is the same way. It's on his back foot and the side one is always hard to get but we usually manage to get it clipped so it's not too big of deal but I always wondered if he might ever need the whole toe taken off but it doesn't seem like that will ever happen which I'm so glad.

I'm sure your baby will be just fine, I'm against declawing too but in this case you just can't help it so please don't be hard on yourself. Your baby will be just fine.

Prays.

Melissa

The Animal Angels will be with Lindy Lou as she goes into surgery, and will bring her treats from Hawaii, to make her feel better.
    We are sure that all will go well, and Lovely Lindy Lou will be home very soon!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

It is the right thing. The pain of a claw growning into the pad, I just don't want too think of it.
    We have 3 declaws in the house, Chessie, Bailey, and Lenny and the way things go here you would never know it.
    The "CREW" is sending thier prayers and we know that she will be fine.
    GILL & Crew;

I'm sorry to hear this but you're doing the right thing. I'm sure that everything will be just fine. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

I'm joining on the prayers for little Lindy Lou!!
    She'll be fine: She has us, your pt friends, praying with all our faith for her, and she has you with all your love taking good care of her!!!

Big hugs for you both
    astrid