Thread: Swine Flu Tracking Map

Swine Flu Tracking Map

I came across this last night and it is rather alarming. You can find your country, state and area by scrolling in and I was shocked to see that although our local news keeps saying there are no confirmed cases here in this state, there are some "suspected" cases according to this map.. Check your area out here..http://news.sky.com/skynews/Interact.../Swine-Flu-Map

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I heard on the radio this morning there has been one confirmed death in the US. A 23 month old child in Texas.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That map is not up-to-date, as there are confirmed cases in New York City, suspect cases in Lowell, MA and Spencer, MA, cases in California, etc. Ten states have confirmed cases.

This map is a more up to date. The situation changes rapidly.
    I've Been Frosted

The frightening part is this seems to be spreading very quickly. According to this morning's news, emergency rooms are much busier than usual because so many people think they might have symptoms. Currently my Mom is in the hospice unit of a nursing home. My major fear is, if this gets as bad as the experts seem to think, the nursing home will restrict access to staff only and I won't be able to see her.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The Univ of Delaware is still waiting to hear if their 4 probable cases are actual cases. The students have been sent home and the univ hasn't cancelled any classes or activities yet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yes sadley that 24 month old baby was from Brownsville.. This town is on the border of TX & MX.. The family had been in MX over the weekend & came back home.. The baby died Monday night.. Its all so sad..
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I heard on the radio this morning there has been one confirmed death in the US. A 23 month old child in Texas.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Keep in mind people that this is a flu, not the plague. Thousands of people die each year from the flu and while it is very sad, its no reason to panic. Four schools were closed today in WI because of the panic and the school I clean is talking about closing for a full disinfection (pointless as it is to do a top to bottom disinfection for a virus).
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I heard a stat on the news tonight that really put it into perspective. There are anywhere from 4-8 serious strains of flu that circulate every year. In Canada, up to 8000 or more people die every year from flu related complications, 800 of which in BC (my province). There are what, 200 or so world wide of the A1H1 or whatever it's now called? I think we are all doing a great job of containing and preventing further spread. Also, just because someone gets this virus, it doesn't mean they will die.. it just means they will get the flu! I really think that the media is spreading panic.. we just have to be careful, as we would in any flu season..

The media enjoys blowing things like this out of proportion. The regular flu infects 40,000+ people a year, while this has only infected 2,000. So far, no one outside Mexico has died from it (excluding the baby in TX). Oh, and fyi, its name is H1N1 XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    The media enjoys blowing things like this out of proportion. The regular flu infects 40,000+ people a year, while this has only infected 2,000. So far, no one outside Mexico has died from it (excluding the baby in TX). Oh, and fyi, its name is H1N1 XD.
    This isn't "blowing something out of proportion". The Swine Flu is something new that is not known about, how do they know it cannot evolve into something far worse? People die from the the regular influenza because it turns to pnemonia. There is nothing wrong with saying something about it on the news. This could be more dangerous then the flu, by far. Those 40,000 people do not need to die a year and the Swine Flu may have the same effects. There is nothing wrong with trying to educate the public on a disease and contain it from spreading further if it has the same effects. If it saves 1 more person from dying that's great.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I don't think the media is really blowing anything out of proportion. It's a new strain that they're learning about as the situation progresses. Yeah, people die from the flu, but now it's just another strain that could (and has) added to the death toll.

As for the little boy in TX, I read that he was actually from Mexico, and was visiting relatives in Brownsville. He had already been showing symptoms of the flu. He just happened to die in a hospital in Houston, hence the whole "first death in the US." Sad either way.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

one of the world's top flu experts works at my hospital. When I see him wearing a surgical mask and running around in a sweaty panic, then I'll worry. Until then it's just another flu to me.