Thread: Leo and his Eosinophilic Granuloma

Leo and his Eosinophilic Granuloma

Leo still has the legions on his tongue...going to take him back to the vet. what does it take to get rid of the darn things? $800. surgery, plus meds and several vet visits. I'm so tired of this.

I'm so sorry to hear this. As you may remember,my Pearl also has this but she would only break out on her lips. With her it seems to be a food allergy and since she's been eating Innova Evo dry she hasn't had any more breakouts. Now of course she's dealing with liquid diarrhea though.

I wish I knew what to tell you but I don't know much about this disease. Some cats need to be put on prednisolone or have the depo shotsto help control it. I hope that you'll be able to find the right solution for Leo. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care.

Oh I'm so sorry. It's tough when our furkids are sick w/anything at all but something that keeps recurring is frustrating not to mention financially crippling. There will be several candles lit this morning for our furkids, that's for sure, and Leo's name is on the list. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

ahh, thank you both so much! I will insist that they treat it aggressively and I will , finally, get him on the new food. K.A.K.--I will ask about that innova evo food.

K.A.K.-let us know about Pearl ok?

I'm sorry Leo and you are having to deal with this. It seems you've dealt with it for a while with him, so I assume all other options besides surgery have been eliminated??? It seems there are many things to be attempted with this disease as it could be allergy connected, bacterial connected, etc. Some of the causes suggested in what I've read are: food alllergies, insect allergies (fleas & mosquitoes), inhalant allergies (airborne elements), and all of this type of ailment can be brought on bacterially, which could also involve what type of dish they're using (plastic being the bad one).

Has your vet ruled out all treatments and changes for the above? As I said, you indicate this is recurring, so you probably have gone through all this, but surgery is such a tough thing! Again, I'm sorry, let us know what you find out and what needs to be done. Prayers for you and Leo.

Maggie

Leo did have surgery a few months ago...but thanks for the ideas.

I hope you and Leo find something that works - Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

thank you!

just got home from the vets...Leo has it on his face now too, and a spot on his upper eyelid BUT I saw a new vet today, same clinic, but new vet since the last one moved out of state. I feel much better about the plan for Leo now. I liked the last vet alot, but after today I feel like there's hope,with this plan even though she said Leo- EO! (my nick name for Leo) will always have this condition, hopefully it can go into remission though.
    the plan is...he is on hills science diet R/D diet, dry and canned, canned is only for morning and night time, a small amount and then a small scoop( they gave me a measured scoop) of the dry 3 times a day. more pred. pills, one a day, I think I will give him half a pill in the a.m. and half in the p.m.

I forgot all about asking about the innova evo food! but I will see how this food goes, then I can ask about it, Leo has to go back for a follow up on May 14.

I forgot to say, Leo also got an antibiotic shot. He is on the r/d because he weighs--26 pounds! the vet said lets get him down to 20 pounds and go from there. He is an extremely big cat, besides being overweight, he is built BIG. a couple years ago I got him down from 28 pounds to 23 pounds in 1 years time, but he has gained it back. lately I have really been watching his food, giving him very small amounts but no luck getting him to lose weight, so hopefully now it will work! Snickers is also overweight, but is a normal sized cat, not built so big as my Leo the lion cub-sized cat.

Leo goes back for his follow-up vet appt. a week from today(Thursday)
    he is on pred. pills that I crush up and put into his canned food, but he doesn't like the canned food I bought from the vet, so I bought some fancy feast canned food, and he smelled the medicine, sniffed it and looked up at me. I have had a hard time getting him to eat the food with the med. in it but I got a fancy feast flavor with alot of gravy in it and he finally ate it. I have to return the rest of the canned food to the vet, I opened one can and he would not eat it, even without any med. in it, but, all the other cats loved it!

Leo was not feeling good today, he looked up at me, with tired sad eyes, it is so depressing to see him like that. If he didn't already have the appt. next week, I would have called the vet today. he is 7 years old this month, and I can't believe he's not still just 2. I read something recently about a 7 year old male cat getting sick, that scared me. I have 2 cats that age, 7. I might have to get the liquid medicine to syringe into his mouth if it doesn't get easier to give him the medicine, it costs more, but I might have to get it.
    This is so tiring, and worrysome, I worry about this condition he has, I can't believe how hard it is to get him over it. in January I thought the surgery would take care of it, and after his surgery, I was diligent about all his post-surgery care and giving him medicines. It just goes on and on. He even has a spot on his whisker area!

I can't reply to all the sick cat posts on here, right now, but I wish everyone's cats the best, offering prayers and wishes for getting better quickly. I know how you are feeling, and especially for the very sick ones, thoughts and prayers your your little sweeties!

Oh they're cunning little buggers, aren't they? I bought pill pockets for one of my cats and she can smell the pill inside and won't eat it. Maybe they'll work for Leo, though. Have you tried them?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Yes, I've also been using the Chicken flavored pill pockets and my cats love them. Starr is on both pred and prozac and I hid them in them. It's so much easier to pill him now. Good luck.

thanks. I got the liquid form today, from the compound prescription lab, it was $36., expensive but not as much as I thought it would be, it lasts for 2 months, and now I can syringe it into his mouth, and he will get going on his medicine. keep your fingers crossed for him, I should see how he is doing in a week or 2.

I got the liquid yesterday, and last night Leo finally got his medicine!
    luckily he ate it with the canned food, so I didn't have to syringe it into his mouth, it's easy to do but the poor little guy hates it when I do that!

he had an appt. for may 14 as a follow up, but I changed it untill the 21st, since I am just now able to get him to take the medicine, I want him to be on it for 2 weeks before taking him back.