Thread: Help with SERIOUS computer problem!

Help with SERIOUS computer problem!

My husband's computer has a virus that looks like its a microsoft control panel offering privacy and virus protection. Its removed EVERYTHING from the desktop. No icons, no background, and most of all, no start menu to access any other programs. So now I can't restore the computer to a few days ago. I can't access our spyware or virus protection.

HELP!!!!

This new one I got came new with a trojan on it in a pre-intsalled game. Soon as I installed Avast, it found it and got rid of it.. What antivirus do you have?

I am not computer savvy enough to find those buggers on my own and whenever I thought I had one, I just put the recovery CD's in and wiped it clean and started over. Haven't had to do that since I started using Avast and it is FREE!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Sounds bad! Maybe he caught the conficker virus? I figure the virus doesn't allow internet access either? Otherwise you could try Trendmicro Housecall...

Kirsten

Do you have a CD with the operating system on it you could boot from? Or one from a virus protection company? It might be worth going to Best Buy or Radio Shack and buying an anti-virus program that you can start up from to try and disinfect your machine. Try Norton ... or maybe Symantec
    I've Been Frosted

Conficker does not make itself know as obviously as whatever this is. Like others have said, go out and get a bootable anti-virus program, boot that, and see what happens. But, are you sure this is a virus? It might be a Windows bug that has somehow been overlooked.
    Last edited by Hellow; 04-27-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections