Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shitzu breed

Shitzu breed

Today I had the pleasure of holding and playing with a little 6 week old shitzu pup. The new owner asked me if I wanted the last remaining puppy (a little male). I don't want the puppy for me, but my mom has always wanted a "teacup" breed and the puppy was small enough to fit in my outstreched hand, and Cassie needs a little companion. As some of you may know I am buying a house in a couple of months, and Graham & Cassie stay with my mom while we are in the process of buying. When we move, I am taking Graham and leaving Cassie. Graham does not like Cassie anyway, and I could not take both dogs out of my moms life, her heart would break. Her and Cassie are really close and a perfect match. Anyway, my mom and I both think it was be a good idea to get a small companion dog for Cassie, since she likes little dogs and she needs a friend.

So when I told my mom about that adorable little puppy I held today her eyes got all wide like a little child and she said, "how much was the puppy and are there any left?" I know my mom has always wanted a little teeny dog and this shitzu is the perfect size and a perfect size for Cassie. I told her I would get her the puppy but I had to study about the breed a bit before to make sure it's a good match. I need to know what their temperments are like. Are they friendly dogs? Are they pretty mellow or are they high-strung? Are they relatively easy to house train?

If anyone could give me any info on shitzu's I would appreciate it. I will look on the web and see if I can find any info about their temperments, but if anyone knows first hand how their temperments are I would love to hear from you.

Thanks everyone,

Leslie

Shih Tzu's are great little dogs. I've had a lot of fun with Shih Tzu puppies. If the one you are getting is only 6 weeks old, you will most likely have no problems with his temperment. I know how loving your home is and the only problem Shih Tzu's I have seen have come from rough living situations. A lot of Shih Tzu's can be yappy little things but it just comes down to the individual dog. If the puppy is showing no signs of behavioral problems, most likely none will ever arise since I'm sure your mom will bring him up in the best possible home with the most love.

Good luck with your new house. Its not too far from your mom and Cassie I hope. I was thinking of you and Graham today because there are a couple of dogs at the shelter who remind me of him (one has only three legs ).

Leslie....There was a shitzu who lived down the street from me some years back. She was a friendly little thing but I noticed that her fur had a tendency to mat. Since Cassie's coat requires no real care maybe your mom wouldn't mind one dog that requires grooming. Here's a link I found:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shihtzu.htm

Thanks. I will call tomorrow to see if the little pup is still available. You should see his sister, the one I held today! Talk about cute...oh my gosh! She had this enormous forehead and these great big eyes. And she took ahold of my thumb in her mouth and she looked like she was nursing on it. I melted. She was fully weaned but the mother dog is only 5 pounds and the father dog was 6, so the pup, being that she was only 6 weeks old, fit her whole body in my outstreched hand.

And yes, my mom and I will always live close together and will always visit each other often. She's my best friend (her and my hubby both are my best friends) and so I will help her raise the pup, I will show her how to groom, and I will help her train. I'll let you know if everything works out.

Good luck!!!

I am so excited for your mom. I can just see her going through the joys of having a new puppy. I don't know anything about the
    Shitzu breed except how cute they are.

Leslie,

My sister has a Shitzu.
    She is the size of a toy breed.
    Sometimes I get to babysit her when
    they go on vacation.
    She is so sweet, has the best temperment.
    The only drawback with the Shitzu,
    they need to be groomed. IF your mom
    doesn't mind having to take the pup to
    be groomed I think you can not go wrong
    with this breed. My sister
    keeps her dog in a puppy cut which is
    easier to take care of inbetween the
    grooming visits.

Leslie, Congrats on buying your house, and to your mom for the new puppy!!
    My heart is saddened for you that you are giving Cassie to your mom, tho. I know you will see her often, and she will be in excellant hands. I guess I didn't know that Graham didn't like Cassie, I thought he did.
    Its kinda like my situation with the cat, she came to a place where she will get excellant care, just Cassie will have an excellant home with your mom. Jodi gave me Kylie so she could see her anytime she wanted.
    I guess I can't think of anyone who has a shitzu right now. I get llaso apsos(sp?) and shitzus mixed up. I think the ones I have been around are very sweet.
    Good luck and keep us posted!!

Hi everyone Well...it happened. My mom fell in love with the puppy and so we drove back to her house with a new dog small enough to fit in an outstreched hand. My mom named him Ritz...pics to come, don't you worry about that

Graham has never liked Cassie. He has tolerated her, but he does not go beyond that. I think Cassie is hurt by his feelings about her, she is more comfortable snuggling with him then having her own side of the couch. He ignores her all day, every day. That is precicely why my mom thought she should get another dog. When I take Graham I was planning on leaving Cassie because she has been at my moms house since we adopted her and my mom loves her and I could not take both dogs out of her life. I would not do that to my sweet mother To have Graham gone will break her heart, but now she will have Cassie AND little Ritz to keep her company and hopefully Cassie and Ritz become friends.

So Graham has a temporary brother that is no bigger then his muzzle. He does not know quite what to think of this dog that weighs less then 1/2 pound. He was pretty uninterested, while Cassie was VERY interested I think she knows that this dog was something that was brought home primerely for her Lucky little puglet

I am going to take some pictures tomorrow and I'll send them in for developing as soon as possible so you all can see how adorable Ritz is

Congrats Leslie. I'm so glad your mother has a new little baby. I hope all goes well with Ritz and Cassie becoming best friends

Oh Leslie get that camera! I am on pins and needles waiting for pictures! I'm so glad that precious little Cassie will finally have a playmate. This is just great news!

How fun! Cassie is going to have such a great time - and your mom, too, showing the little one the ropes in his new home! Congratulations everyone!

Great news! I hope your mom gets more sleep than I'm getting! Fritz has me up every morning at 4:00 and again at 6:00!

Shitzus are great dogs. My neighbor has one and she's really cute.

Congratulations,
    I expect many puppy breath stories.

Welcome to little Ritz. Take tons of pictures please. I am also pleased that Cassie gets a friend to play qith, it must have been hard for her to be ignored.