Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It was only a matter of time...

It was only a matter of time...

But I didn't think they'd take my IRS refund!!!

I owed the State of CT $500 in 2007 taxes. It was an error on my part (I suck at math). Instead of paying them back, I, like a person who robs Peter to pay Paul every single month since they've cut our hours back at the store, used it. Well, it caught up with me. I was SUPPOSED to (and counted on it for other bills including my cellphone) get a federal refund of $427. I got a letter in the mail today saying they took the $427 and applied it to the balance of what I owed.

I am SOOOO screwed!!! I'm trying to look at it as, "Oh well, okay, at least that's one big bill taken care of." In the meantime, my cellphone may very well be shut off for not paying my balance and my rent check is going to bounce.

*sigh* I just don't need this right now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thats like kicking you when your down. That realy brings teh suck.

I realy hope you can make things work out.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Oh yes, they'll do that alright. I'm sorry that this happened, Donna, but as you said, at least it's a bill that's been paid.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm sorry they grapped the money like that, but as you say, it's one big bill taken care of. If you had contacted them, perhaps you could have made smaller payments over a period.

Concerning your cell phone.... isn't it a lot more expensive to use that, rather than a normal phone? It is here. There are several ways of ringing cheap, one is using Skype, and I'm not sure if that's only for international calls, but have a look at this site: http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=...&_sb_lang=pref

Hope you won't be starving! At least you have your job.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

That really stinks!

They will come after you again next year for the remaining $63 if you don't pay that before then also. My brother-in-law had been in the military. There was something that the government said he owed, even though he didn't. They took tax refund from my sister and him, even though technically they didn't have a right to her half of it. It took them months and months and months of work to get their money back. Part of the reason was because the officer that had signed off on my brother-in-law's situation had since retired. They view it as their money and will do what they can in order to be paid. I am sorry that it has put you behind on other bills.

Yeah, it sucks big time. I'm trying to look at it positively but somehow it's not working.

It wasn't the IRS that came after me, but the State of Connecticut. Our State is in such a state of disarray it's pathetic.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. The minute I opened my eyes when I got up this morning it was going to be bugging me and I was right...IT IS!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Unfortunately for those low on money, it is not just your state that does this. Each state has the right to collect overdue money from your federal return.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I am sorry that this is a bad time for you.. However I am confused.. I thought you rented right.. So was this a state tax owed?? Texas does not have state tax thank goodness.. We have Lottery which hepls.. Does CT not have lottery??

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

It was the State of Connecticut Income Tax from the year 2007. I tried to make payment arrangements but couldn't even afford those!!

CT is, I think the only state that taxes you on your car as a "luxury". Yeah, right.

I've heard that the state can be worse than the Feds. Somehow it might be wise to see if you can round up the $63 that you still owe them so that you don't get hit w/interest and penalties. A long time ago the IRS sent me a notice that I owed over $50 and if I didn't pay that I would be penalized. It was from years ago when I was still married and I had no idea what it was about! I knew better than to protest over such a small amount so I paid it but it bugged me to think that if they did that to every citizen, think of the money they'd rake in.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post

CT is, I think the only state that taxes you on your car as a "luxury". Yeah, right.
    I believe that a lot of states tax a car under "personal property tax". Hey - tax is tax, no matter what they want to call it. Fortunately DE doesn't have a yearly tax on motor vehicles, and you pay a one time tax when you buy the car and it's based on the value. We also have no state sales tax on anything.

Donna - if they haven't charged you interest on what you owe, then you're lucky, since DE and the Feds do on any taxes that are late.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

13. I have had to "serve" some federal tax levies to employees over the years. The most frightening thing!

Most garnishments take a fixed amount of money from each check. A levy works the other way.

You are left with a fixed amount of money. And depending on number of dependents, etc. It isn't much.

First time I saw one I vowed to never mess around paying my taxes!

Sorry they got your money Donna -- but at least you won't have interest building up.

ES,

Your right. That's one bill I won't miss, and am counting my blessings they didn't charge me interest. Now the IRS is another story. Won't go into it.

Geez, and I been doing my own and not knowing what I am doing, just hoping they would fix any mistakes I make..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!