Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone out there have a therapy dog in their family?

Anyone out there have a therapy dog in their family?

Just wondering if anyone out there has a pet that is also a therapy dog of any sort in their family. Let's give some praise to these hard working creatures that love above and beyond the call of duty. Brag them up folks...They have earned it!!

Dogs are simply people in little fur coats! http://www,whitedobespeak.itgo.com

Reece will start his therapy work in July. We are very excited. I know he will be perfect for it.

Almost every Sunday I take Graham to the nursing home where my mother in law recentlly passed away. He's the perfect gentlemen, he walks slowly, he is so calm, he always goes to the people who need him most, walks up to their chairs and puts his beautiful head upon their lap and lets them pet him for as long as they want, or until there is someone else who needs his pet therapy. He's perfect for the job, he knows just what to do and who to see. I used to take him ever Sunday that I went to see my mom in law but I continued going after my mom in law died because he is so theraputic, and the patients love him. Some people were afraid of him but I go through some of his obedience moves and his tricks and they are so impressed that they even ask to pet him. By what you say about Reece, Aly, he'll be the most perfect therapy dog! It seems like his personality is very similar to Grahams personality. Graham is also so sensetive, gentle, adoring, and so very smart. Reece will fit right in as a therapy dog

when i think of therapy dogs... Graham and Reece pop into my head. Graham, Just with his looks can make someone smile, and also from what i have heard from you, Leslie, and from Rachel he is the sweetest dog ever.

Leslie- How far is Troy Michigan from Fenton Michigan?? Because im going to Michigan June 28th and i stay in Fenton right on Lake Phonemah.

------------------

*.KayAnn.*&Simba*RuFf*

[This message has been edited by *BaSim* (edited June 07, 2001).]

Angel, our tibetan spaniel, is a therapy dog. Her special person was a young boy with a life-long illness that could not be cured. He used to keep a photo of Angel by his bedside so he could 'talk' to her between visits. The boy died a couple of months ago. Angel's photo was placed in his casket, too, so that he would have his very own Angel to take him to heaven.

My hat is off to all of you! Keep up the great work and the bragging...I know that Fancy (my sons therapy dog) has made all the difference in the world. WOW! Some great pups out there!

------------------
    Speaking up for the speechless... http://www.whitedobespeak.itgo.com

A big hurrah for the therapy dogs. They do a wonderful thing (and their guardians, too)! My two don't go to the hospital or nursing home, but when we go on our daily walks, there are two elderly gentlemen (at different houses) we must stop and talk to. Shiloh insists on it!! In fact, after the cold weather ended and we saw our elderly friends for the first time in months, Shiloh had me running down the street with her to see them. I thought she'd knock them over with her tail!!(not to mention dragging me on my ***!)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited June 08, 2001).]

Sudilar, I hope I NEVER meet your dogs...

...because I'd take off running with them and be charged with dog-napping

[This message has been edited by aly (edited June 08, 2001).]

KayAnn, thank you for the complements on my Graham baby I am about an hour away from Fenton! If you wanted to you could go to Graham's agility class if you are there on a Monday. It's his last class before he starts to compete in novice I don't suppose you are taking Simba? It would sure be nice to meet him! You'll have to let me know if you were at all interested and I'll give you more info.

Everyone, your dogs are so special...every one of them! All of these stories are such a pleasure to read. Sue, I also might try to steel those two beauties of yours They are delightful on top of gorgeous. And Aly, I can't wait to hear stories of Reece doing his therapy work...it really does seem like he was born to heal. Good luck.

I would like to do therapy work with Carl. But, there's some people he just doesn't like. We can't figure out why he doesn't like these people or if there is a common trait in these people that he doesn't like (i.e. men with beards, or wearing baseball caps).

I would really like to do therapy work with him, because he has a great personality for it, but I don't want anybody to be offended if he doesn't like them I just wish I could figure out WHY!

------------------
    -Rottie

Did you get Carl as a pup or an older dog? If he was over 8 weeks, he may have had a bad experience with a person that has a beard or wore a baseball cap. My Cera has an issue with older women, because she was beaten by a woman who cared for her a short while. That can be a great problem to address, but check with your vet. He may be able to recomend behavior therapy that can correct it, or atleaset control it.
    Good Luck!
    ~~Mysticdoberman
    Originally posted by Rottie:
    I would like to do therapy work with Carl. But, there's some people he just doesn't like. We can't figure out why he doesn't like these people or if there is a common trait in these people that he doesn't like (i.e. men with beards, or wearing baseball caps).

I would really like to do therapy work with him, because he has a great personality for it, but I don't want anybody to be offended if he doesn't like them I just wish I could figure out WHY!

Thanks, Aly and Leslie! Killian and Shiloh would be happy to have either of you "steal" them!! Well, ok, you'd have to steal our family, too, cause they're a bit attached!! LOL
    Sara, my Great Pyr, Avalanche (at the Bridge), used to not like certain people. I was owned by her since she was about 3 months old. It seemed that she sensed fear in those people. All admitted being afraid of her. She also did not like anyone to stare her in the eye, she felt it was a direct threat. However, if she loved you, you could do anything to her!! I miss her. sniff, sniff
    Check on the fear thing.
    Sue

------------------

Originally posted by mysticdoberman:
    Did you get Carl as a pup or an older dog? If he was over 8 weeks, he may have had a bad experience with a person that has a beard or wore a baseball cap. My Cera has an issue with older women, because she was beaten by a woman who cared for her a short while. That can be a great problem to address, but check with your vet. He may be able to recomend behavior therapy that can correct it, or atleaset control it.
    Good Luck!
    ~~Mysticdoberman
    We got Carl when he was a little over a year old. Anything could have happened in that amount of time

Like you said, the reason he probably doesn't like these people is that he has had a bad experience with someone like that before. The thing is, I don't know what it is about these certain people!

I'll check into the fear thing, Sue. That could be it.

Leslie, I'm sure I'll be telling you guys all about it! Graham sounds like a WONDERFUL therapy dog. I hope Reece follows in his footsteps.

Sophie has been a therapy dog for about two years now. Even before she received official certification, we were visiting local nursing homes and spreading love and joy to the elderly and infirmed. She passed the test, similar to the CGC, about two years ago, but I didn't send in the paperwork. We recently took the test again (leashless, no less) and passed with flying colors.

Sophie simply adores going to the homes and the residents love her. It is so wonderful to be able to make such an impact in the lives of others and Sophie at the same time!