Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirates?

Pirates?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090409/ap_on_re_af/piracy

In this day and age? I guess you do what ya gotta do, I wonder what makes people think of going into this type of profession.

Good movie.

I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

lol indeed. Somehow I dont think real life piracy is nearly that glamorus...

This is very scary. I hope that our people will be ok. Here we are trying to help others and get attacked. I am sure the Navy will take care of them rather quickley. GO NAVY!

These pirates have been operating for sometime now - so why don't all these ships have guns, and spotlights? I did read that some have greased their sides so that no one can climb up - why not the others?

I've spent some intimate time in the Horn of Africa, courtesy of the Army. There is only one way to end this issue. That way is not pretty. So our current administration will just want to "talk" about it.

Why don't these ships have guns? Because they make port in European and other nations that have draconian anti-gun laws. If customs officials found the weapons necessary to fight off the pirates, they would, at best, have them confiscated. At worst, they'd be doing jail time.

Like it or not, there are bad people in this world. And we all know, even if we will not admit, that the only way for evil to trimuph is for good people to do nothing. Doing nothing includes doing things that history proves WORTHLESS. For better or worse, the lawless lands of the Horn of Africa understand ONE thing. Trust me... I know that those people will only stop for ONE reason.

Its not always pretty. But sometimes, good people have to meet force with GREATER force.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    These pirates have been operating for sometime now - so why don't all these ships have guns, and spotlights? I did read that some have greased their sides so that no one can climb up - why not the others?
    I think it has to do with regulations. Guns/arms, equals a naval vessel, no guns equals a maritime vessel. IIRC most ports wont allow a naval vessel to dock without special permission. I heard about a cruise ship that is equipt with a sonic gun to ward off pirates, the greased sides is new to me.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I think it has to do with regulations. Guns/arms, equals a naval vessel, no guns equals a maritime vessel. IIRC most ports wont allow a naval vessel to dock without special permission. I heard about a cruise ship that is equipt with a sonic gun to ward off pirates, the greased sides is new to me.
    I saw something on the news about 5 - 6 months ago. Some ships were greasing or oiling the sides of their boats to prevent the pirates from climbing the sides. Of course, I can't find it now - - but will keep looking.

I think the environmentalists would pitch a fit if ships even used crisco to grease their sides.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

This isn't the one I saw on TV, but at least it does mention grease.

That coupled with the ship going at full speed and zigzagging and water cannons, barbed wire and grease and various other bits and pieces on the back of the ship all basically amount to a fairly effective deterrent for what is basically from the pirate's capabilities a fairly primitive way of boarding, i.e., throwing a grappling hook onto the back of the ship and climbing up a rope ladder.
    One source - on 1st page, 1st question.

All the while ignoring the first tenant of responding to an ambush... Return fire and attack through the ambush.

Water cannons.... Greased sides...

The pirates laugh at us. They know we won't do the right thing. They know we will "negotiate" with them.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Took a little hunting, but I find this article about pirates. From FOX News, no less

No mention of draconian gun laws; no digs at the current administration.

The Captain is free and unharmed.
    Three out of four pirates were killed, the fourth is in custody.

YEAH! Dead Pirates!

Wonderful news!!!

"A swift firefight..."

Probably more like 10 seconds, if that. SEALs are some bad dudes.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War