Thread: Hammie Question from the Cat side....

Hammie Question from the Cat side....

Hello All,
    I'm normally posting on the Cat side but I told my friend I'd ask you knowledgeable PT'ers for advice on Hamsters. She got one for her 11 year old. His first. That was two weeks ago. They did all the research and got him everything the Petco peeps recommended. A week to the day, poor thing died. Poor Harrison is devestated! His first death . They have a cat and dog and are very responsible pet owners.
    Went back and got another one. Harrison was so sad he said he couldn't name it yet. Well guess I'm glead he didn't get to attached because ONE WEEK TO THE DAY ! Again! Dead.
    Can anyone advise? Is there some sort of certification that guarantees health? They want to try again but needless to say they are hesitant. Suggestions?
    THanks!
    Claudia
    Last edited by kitten645; 04-24-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling

They need to call the store, they should give him a new one for free. I'd look at the conditions of the store, etc., and if the hammies seem healthy, okay, but they do have a policy on just such instances.
    I've Been Frosted

Wow that's awful. Sounds similar to my history with hamsters though... I had probably 4 in a row die within several months of each other. They were from several different stores... I would just wake up and find them dead in their cage. I have no answers.. just thought I'd mention I had a similar situation.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

What kind of bedding are the hamsters kept on at the store? And what are they using? The wrong bedding can make hammies very sick.
    I've Been Frosted

The bedding type is very important as Karen said, bedding which is not made out of natural materials can cause a rectal prolapse.

Also wet tail might be the cause. This is a disease which is often caused by stress, and young hamster are more prone to this. The cage which the hamster is being put into should be ready when the new hamster arrives, and the hamster should be left for about 2 days before being picked up etc, as the hamster needs to settle in to avoid stress. The main symptom is diarrhoea and wet tail usually kills the hamster within 2 days after the symptoms show if not treated. Symptoms usually take about 7 days to show.

If the hamsters had no signs of either of the things, all I would say is to clean and disinfect the cage before another hamster goes in it, and talk to the pet store.

Also how old are the hamsters? The hamsters should be at least 5-6weeks old.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Thank you all for the info. They are now on hammie #3 They were very specific about the bedding being natural so I know that isn't the problem. Petco does have a 15 day policy and has replaced each one but that doesn't help a childs broken heart I've been to the store and it's quite clean and the animals are well taken care of. I'll have to ask how old the hammie is. When they got the second one, the guy DID tell them not to handle him for a week due to stress levels. Harrison was very good about following the directions but that doesn't seem to have helped.
    I didn't realize hammies were so delicate. I figured rodents would be pretty hardy but I guess the domesticated kind isn't. Fingers crossed on number three. Name suggestions? He still hasn't named it as he's not so trusting he'll stick around
    Thanks again,
    Claudia

Awww, that poor little boy. This is the woman I met last night, isn't it Claudia? (btw, it was great seeing you again )

Well, I hope this hamster sticks around. Maybe they should jump on the internet and they could possibly find a hamster specific forum that could help. Not that there aren't hammie experts here, it was just another idea.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

HI CINDY!!! *waves* Yes it is Chelle's son. So far so good on number three. Seems the week mark has been the fatal day..literally So if he lasts thru the week, we are ahead of the curve Fingers crossed!
    Claudia

If this one dies they need to stop with rodents until they get this figured out. Any rodent they bring in will just be another death sentence.

Wet tail is NOT a disease in itself. Its a symptom. Stress is a mild "disease" that causes it. Tyzzer's is another cause which is anything but mild. Wet tail is a symptom in a rodent that needs vet attention immediately and proper antibiotics to fit the cause of the runny stool, not store bought treatments. If the hamster had tyzzer's disease I would suggest bleaching and bleaching and bleaching the cage, throw out all old bedding and food from the previous hamster, dispose of current water bottle and plastic food dishes. Never get another animal from this store as it is contagious.

Even if it isn't a disease like that, they should follow strict rules of quarentine with rodents. If the mom or boy goes into the pet store that sells rodents, they should change their clothes and wait 3 hours afterward before touching their hamster or going to close to it. Rodents are not very hardy when it comes to spreadable viruses and disease.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

My Heart goes out to the Child for the death of his 2 hamsters.. I sure hope for his sake the 3rd one lives & is ok.. Yes the store needs to stand behind this child & his loss..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Oi vey! Number three is dead!

Okay now this is ridiculous. Number three died today..five days! I'm sure they are giving up now. I just don't understand. If something like this happened with a dog or cat, there would be something to answer for. Are small animals so disposable? I'm really mad and not sure what to do next. Is there some reporting agency I should contact..other than Animal Control that I know will do nothing. Suggestions?

They should sterilize everything they used for all the hamsters. Not just wash it, sterilize it completely. Discard any used bedding, and anything else that may have been contaminated.

I would also write to the corporate office for the store, with dates and receipts.

Sending the letter to the Better Business Bureau at the same time is something they should think about.

I would then wait a while before getting another rodent, and maybe opt for something sturdier, like a guinea pig.
    I've Been Frosted

MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT GET ANOTHER RODENT RIGHT NOW!

The store clearly has a disease outbreak. They should make sure the store knows. The store can quarentine and disinfect until the cows come home and they still won't get everything. Small rodent diseases can go virtually without symptoms until something happens (a move to a new home causing stress). Some diseases are extremely contagious and can pass from various types of rodents and animals with different symptoms with each animal. You can file a complaint with the better business bureau only after you've informed the store that you think they have a disease outbreak and they won't do anything. You'd best make sure its not something the kid is doing that is causing this. A toxic food treat perhaps?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton