Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Luna is very sick: Threw up about 30 times! (update #167: someone threw up!)

I'm so sorry that I didn't see this thread until now.
    I'm sorry to hear that Luna has been very sick and has been throwing up a lot.
    I hope your vet can help her feel better soon.
    Sending hugs your way.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Continuing prayers...nothing more I can say...

Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear that Luna's still vomiting. Did your vet say anything about fasting her to help give her tummy a rest? I sure hope that she'll start feeling better soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

How is Luna now? I hope you're starting to feel better Luna, have you eaten something you shouldn't have? I hope your bad stomach starts to get better soon, I'm thinking of you.

Thank you everyone for keeping Luna in your thoughts!

She's not doing well today. She vomited again this morning (it's always in the morning), but it was just hair that came up (she cleaned herself a lot yesterday). She kept her food down.

To prevent further vomiting, I gave her some vetranquil (antiemetic), but as it seems, that has been the substance that made her so psychotic the other night. Again, she started acting restless and aggressive after that, and is getting grumpy when things don't go her way. And she follows me everywhere I go. She's sleeping in my lap for more than a hour now, looks really drugged and bombed. No more vetranquil for her, thats for sure! Will email my vet about that later.

Also, I'm a bit worried about the increased GOT, even though my vet told me not to be. I wonder if some serious stuff is going on. After all, I know that her blood count isn't right for years, and we never knew what's the cause (my vet thinks it's from her chronic UTI's). But who knows? Maybe it's something bad that's now acting up and is getting worse?

Kirsten

Kirsten, it sounds as if she's over the worst now, so I hope you'll both have a peaceful sunday and sh starts eating with throwing up.

Did your vet say anyting about what she can eat and what not?

Keep getting better, Luna!

(((hugs)))

Edit* Oh no, this doesn't sound good. Perhaps it's a good idea to not give her any food, or just tiny amounts at a time. However, you have to make sure she drinks. I don't know what GOT means, but if the vet says you don't need to worry about that, it's probably true - but something is wrong. Hope the vet has a new idea of what to do.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, I think we posted at the same time. She's not so well today (see post above).

And no, we haven't discussed her diet yet. For the time being, she's on Hill's i/d, but I don't let her eat much. Her stomach needs to recover first.

Kirsten

I'm so sorry that you are both going through this. I have no experience with it, but I am still sending all my best wishes to you and Luna.

Kirsten, here's part of a post from Dog General that may apply here. It sounds like giving Luna's tummy a rest has helped, and maybe a bland diet instead of her regular dry food for a day will help also.

I don't know what 'cerenia' is, but there must be other ways to coat her little tummy...there is some kind of pepto stuff from vets, but I don't recall the name.

looks like my little baby has a case of gastroenteritis! or upset tummy causing vomiting and diarrhea. No food or water for 24 hours. She got a big under the skin fluid shot because she is dehydrated, and another shot for nausea. Tomorrow around 7 am she will be offered just a bland diet, baby food and boiled chicken, as well as half a pill of cerenia for 4 days to prevent vomiting!
    Luna is a little better...and I hope she heals well very soon. Also - ask your vet about the grain-free food. I suspect it would help both your girls.

{{{{hugs}}}}

ETA: I Googled for grain free foods in Germany, and found these:

http://www.healthypetboutique.com/se...go-Moon/Detail

http://www.qype.co.uk/de/categories/...ops-in-germany

http://www.raubtiersalon.de/

http://www.fressnapf.de/
    Last edited by Catty1; 03-29-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

At least now you know what's been making her sick and you can proceed from there. Poor little girl, she must've been in so much pain. We're still praying here.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Still keeping Luna in my thoughts as well, poor little girl. I agree her stomach needs to settle down a bit, but looking into alternate diets may be the way to go. I know when I used to work for a vet all they prescribed was Hill's, but it's not always the best choice of diet. Hopefully you can find something that works for Luna.
    *more prayers for her health on the way!*

Thank you everyone for your support and advice! And thanks for the links, Candace!

Yes, a change in diet may be an option, even though the options are limited as Luna has to eat her struvite crystal diet again when this is over. We all know how severe her bladder problems are!

For the time being, she seems to do well with the Hill's i/d. I was also thinking about fasting to let her stomach calm down but it seems to me she's more nauseaus when her stomach is empty (maybe this is the reason why she's only throwing up in the morning now for the last three days ).

Earlier this afternoon, she learned to open the sliding door of my kitchen cabinet behind which the food is stored... I didn't notice at first and when I found her happily stealing food, she had already eaten for a while (luckily it was the i/d she had stolen). I was more or less prepared that it would come up again, but so far, it didn't.

However, the fact that she seems to be hungry despite all her stomach probs reminds me of gastritis: I felt the same way when I had mine a couple of weeks ago; I always felt better when I ate. But I did not throw up.

Kirsten

We just went through 2 months of this with Binky. Continual throwing up while still acting hungry. He probably has IBD and the vet has prescribed Prilosec (yes, the OTC people medication). 1/4 tablet once a day, small helpings of food, usually half i/d and half regular, plus dry i/d. So far, so good. Only one episode of vomiting, but that may have been because he was so hungry he gorged his food.

Keeping fingers crossed for Luna. I know this is extremely frustrating, but hang in there and take it very slowly. And let us know how she's doing...........
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Glad to hear Luna was sneaking food! lol

Kirsten, the high protein foods get the urine to the right pH and PREVENT the struvite crystals from forming. DO ask your vet, but that is what my vet told me.

Hugs to little Luna.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Kirsten!! What a roller coaster ride this have been!!! I will keep saying prayers for you BOTH and will light some candles....I really hope an end is in sight.....HUGS Sandra