Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black stray kitty

Black stray kitty

I was visiting my friend's house yesterday. Her neighbor who has ALOT of cats (more than me) has a stray black unneutered male kitty that's been hanging on her from porch. She's been feeding him and actually went around the neighborhood asking people if he belonged to them. No takers. She remembers walking her dog and seeing a black cat sitting in the window of a house but doesn't remember what house.

He's a great kitty, young (about a year or year and a half old). She's thinking about taking him to WAGS, a rescue organization in the Michigan area. I would LOVE to take him, but already have 6 cats (2 neutered males).

Having that "oh just one more won't kill me" thought in my head, I can't stop thinking about him. Kathy said that when her cats came to the door and he saw them through the glass, he hissed, growled and beared his claws. So I'm not sure if he'd be okay with other cats.

Please try to talk me out of this. With Halloween coming, I'm very worried something might happen to him. I keep saying "no more!!!!" but my heartstrings are tugging away.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

black puss

i feel guilty, but i'm not going to try to talk you out of this, quite the opposite! with apologies--

it's entirely possible that this little black guy will settle down after neutering, and with a little extra special tlc for all concerned and a careful introduction, i bet he would work in nicely with your kitties. i have 7 black neutered males, and they seem to be the lovingest and most laid back of my herd. all of them love kittens--Omar, Midnight, Tissot and Foo Foo actually let them suckle. they're real daddy cats! Omar in particular has been a godsend with feral kittens--a couple hours with him and they are so gentle. he's a miracle worker. Midnight had been a farm cat all his life, though neutered since age one, and adjusted quite well to a life indoors starting at age 11. all these black kitties have a fine sense of humor, too.

i share your concern about black cats and Halloween.

cat^..^
    A kitten is to the animal world what a rosebud is in the garden
    ~Robert Southey

Moosmom,

Hi. I don't know anything about WAGS, but if they are
    a rescue group (no kill), then I would help your neighbor
    trap him and try to get him to the rescue group. I know
    what you mean by the "just one more" thinking. I do it
    myself somtimes. First maybe you guys could just work on
    trapping & neutering him, and then ??? Best of Luck on this.

I have an all black SH kitty that I took in after some
    neighboors moved & left him behind. He is the
    most mellow one in a group of four.Blackie is actually
    the "peacemaker" in the group. Liz,
    Last edited by lizbud; 09-22-2002 at 11:22 AM.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Liz and Cat,

What's there to trap??? He's the most friendliest cat! Not the least bit feral. He was definitely someone's pet. I suggested to Kathy that she put an ad in the paper indicating he was found. But then again you don't know WHO you're going to get responding to the ads.

Kathy said she was going to put him in her garage with food and water on Halloween just so he's safe.

I just don't know..... . I'm going to give it more to time think about it. But I just can't get him off my mind or out of my heart.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Re: Black stray kitty

I hate to be another person who is NOT trying to talk you out of this, BUT.....
    I have 11 house cats, 8 of which are males (ALL are neutered). The last of these was a stray male, unneutered at the time and I was worried about fighting, and spraying, and learning to use a litter box for the seemingly first time in his life, but I felt compelled to do it. Even if I only fostered him until I could rehome him with a new family. Well, needless to say, he stayed and he has been the biggest joy of all time. I had no more problems introducing him to the resident cats then I would have with any other newcomer. I hate to add this, but he is a little black (tuxedo) cat.
    Go with your conscience, it will not steer you wrong.

[
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 09-23-2002 at 06:15 PM.

.....and the winner is........HEARTSTRINGS.....take him in, what is one more? They are sooo small, and I know he will be a good kitty!

there is so much I could say, warn you, about "just one more". but I won't. take the kitty in, and keep him safe for halloween and always! you could alwys place him in a good home later if it didn't work out,(yeah right...LOL) but at least he'd be safe for now!

Oh, Donna, you need my two cents like you need a hole in your head.

Black stray male unneutered kitty.............I know all about it.

Mine I named Magic..........and he was my little soul mate for over 13 years. I love Rascal to pieces, but I will never have another Magic.

I think you should follow your heart too, but with Casey having stresses would he be able to take it? If he would welcome a new brother, and you are able to take him in, maybe you should do it!

Casey is my one concern at this point. While he's doing okay in the bedroom, using the kitty box and eating, I'm just not sure he'd be open to another strange cat in my house, especially in new surroundings. I know Kathy will care for Boo and not let anything happen to him. So that's why I'm not in a rush to add a new kitty to my brood.

I supposed I COULD foster him. But the last time I did that, my cat population went up to 6 (and holding steady, so far).

I'll keep you posted if things change.

The first and foremost necessity is to have him neutered. Then, you can either follow your heart strings and keep him, or set him free . . . if you do not decide to keep him at least you can rest easy knowing there will be no more unwanted litters sired by him, and you will have made a difference in helping to reduce the numbers of homeless kittens.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Avajoy,

Absolutely! I would never have any pet that wasn't fixed. But for now, I've decided it's best to keep with my 6 cats and let Kathy care for him. I don't want to upset the applecart, if you know what I mean. Plus MooShoo has an upper respiratory infection so I don't want to add to it.

Moosemom, I know what a difficult decision it is to make, but personally, I'd take him in to be your 7th furkid. It is only 14% extra. Of course, I know that math figures don't cut it when dealing with one that has stolen your heart. So many times I have often thought of, "what if I had taken that cat"? If you feel so drawn to him, take him in, and get him neutered, and then he will calm down. At any rate, it usually take about 10 days for new cats to become acquainted with each other. None of mine fight with each other, they all get along just fine. I have one black kitty, named Nightshade and he has some Abyssinian breed in him, as can be seen in the shape of his head and eyes. He is strictly an indoor cat. I don't recall ever having to chase him down to bring him back inside. He often sleeps on the bed with me.

...........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 09-29-2002 at 04:21 PM.

Keeping you posted

Well, I told you I'd keep everyone posted if things change. They have.

I went over to my friend's house and talked to Kathy about Boo (that's what we named him). We're splitting the cost of having him tested for Feline Leukemia and Aids and having him neutered. He is being neutered on Thursday. I am picking him up on Friday and bringing him to my apartment to stay till a home can be found. (yeah, right!!)

I am joining HEADS (Helping Every Animal Down River Society) and have already talked to the animal coordinator about him. I told her I would foster him if they were willing to look for a home for him. It's all set. At least he will be off the street and safe.

I'm going to keep him in my middle bedroom unless my cats welcome him with open arms. We'll see,

So that's the scoop! Boo will be my roomie for a while.

Donna & cat,

Congrats on the new roomie !!!
    Last edited by lizbud; 10-05-2002 at 08:00 PM.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt