Thread: Help

Help

Two of my cats have never gotten along with each other. Buddy is the oldest cat and has been in my home the longest. Mamma has never liked Buddy since I adopted her. I believe she wants to be the Alpha cat. Buddy and Mamma cannot even pass each other without her giving him a swat. Sometimes he gets fed up and chases her and then she growls and hisses terribly. I really do not like the fact that they don't get along. Mamma has been with me now for a couple of years and I thought by now they would work out their differences. Any suggestions on how to get them to love each other? Or, in the alternative, to not fight like they do.

Read what I posted on the thread "One cat beating up the other". Hope this helps.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Actually, as you have no outright fights, I wouldn't worry too much. I have a few who just can't stand the sight of each other and hiss every single time they pass.

I scan craigslist often, and frequently see folks asking how to introduce a new cat. I have a standard reply I send along, and I will share that with you. Your 2 have lived together for years so some of it won't apply to you, but I think some of it WILL apply. Hope you will find it a bit helpful!

Hi!

Do NOT worry you can still work on things.

1. Be realistic. You can NOT make the cats best buddies. You CAN insist they live together with no fights. Set your sights properly and you won't be disappointed.

2. The cats will work out a hierarchy themselves. One WILL be dominant and it may not be the one you think or want to be dominant. Let them work it out. Keep a squirt bottle of water handy and interfere in any fights which get out of hand. Tussles, hissing, snarling are all normal as they scope each other out.

3. Start by keeping them separated -- different bedrooms with the door closed. This means you need water and litter box in each place. Do NOT let them be together unsupervised until you are comfortable they tolerate each other.

4. Let one out to be with you; return it to it's room and let other one out. Each needs time to get used to the other's scent. Let them sniff each other at the door bottom. After a day or so, swap their beds to they get each other's scent "in the face" so to speak.

5. I have 11 cats. I have introduced kittens and adults to cats living here. The fastest was 4 days. The longest was 3 weeks. So be patient and do NOT force them on each other. Let them progress at their own pace.

6. When you feed them, feed cat 1 first. When you pet them, pet cat 1 first. When you talk to them ALWAYS say cat's name to they get used to hearing the other cat's name.

7. Remember, cat 2 has to also learn the new home, sights, scents, routines, and adapt to YOU.

It CAN be done. There are MANY multiple cat homes. Just let things work slowly, and you will be happily listening to purrs in stereo in no time!

The behaviour you described, sounds exactly the way Miss BooBoo Kitty behaved to our other cats, and their response to her!!! At least they are not beating up each other...and that does happen when cats do not get along!!!

I have a 13 year old cat and a (almost) 10 month old kitten. I brought the kitten home back in July. They still do not "like" each other. If the kitten even looks at the old guy he growls and throws a little fit. It doesn't help that the kitten is a little instigator and annoys the old man. But like others said, as long as there is no blood being shed do not worry. I know its stressful when they get upset, but as long as they are both receiving your love and attention they will be okay. When my old man gets "hissy" I just tell him to knock it off and get over it. And each kitty gets one-on-one time with me each morning.

Good luck!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice all. I guess I should be happy if they tolerate each other. I do give them all the same amount of love and affection. I think sometimes they get tired of me coming around petting and kissing them while they try to sleep. There is just something irresistible about a sleeping cat to me.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    There is just something irresistible about a sleeping cat to me.
    I hear ya!