Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations

Oscar Nominations

They have released the nominations for this year's Oscars. What movies do you think should win? I have made a list of movies I want to see still.. I have a lot of watching to do!

http://www.oscars.org/awards/81acade.../nominees.html

I heard that Meryl Streep has been nominated for the 15th time. She is
    an amazing actress.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I saw Doubt, Frost/Nixon and Milk.

My choice for Best Actor would be Frank Langella for his role as Nixon. He and Michael Sheen made that movie.

I have yet to see any of the nominated movies (too cheap to pay for a movie at the theatre ), but from what I've seen as prevews, and heard through friends, Frost/Nixon was excellent. I'd be more prone to go for MILK, 'cause I think Sean Penn is a superb actor, but I can't resist Brad Pitt either. So I dunno. It's a hard choice. All these actors are wonderful in their own right.

I've been Boooo'd!

When my son visits, we see as many movies as we can but I have friends who, unfortunately, don't go to movies much so I end up watching them when they come to cable. I used to go to movies by myself but I just don't want to do that any more. That said, I think I may have a friend talked into seeing Frost Nixon this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it. I want to see Benjamin Buttons, too, but it's showing only once in the evening, so I doubt anyone will go w/me. Doubt was really good. Meryl Streep is so good, it's a crime.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Did anyone watch last night? I am seeing "Milk" this week. What did everyone think of the results?

I saw Slumdog Millionaire and loved, loved, loved it. I plan on seeing it at least one more time!

I am eager to see Nixon/Frost as the Nixon resignation/Watergate ,etc came at an important time in my life.

Out of the ones I've seen, I'd highly recommend Milk. It was probably the best film I've seen in years. Sean Penn (who isn't always my favorite) was FANTASTIC! Slumdogs was good too if you know the back story of the director being 18! And those kids being kids off the streets in India. Good story though. B Buttons I've heard EVERYONE say was painful to watch. Like aging or rather UNAGING in real time! I think the awards went pretty much as I thought they would.
    Claudia

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by kitten645 View Post
    Out of the ones I've seen, I'd highly recommend Milk. It was probably the best film I've seen in years. Sean Penn (who isn't always my favorite) was FANTASTIC! Slumdogs was good too if you know the back story of the director being 18! And those kids being kids off the streets in India. Good story though. B Buttons I've heard EVERYONE say was painful to watch. Like aging or rather UNAGING in real time! I think the awards went pretty much as I thought they would.
    Claudia
    I really want to see Milk! So, without knowing back story, you don't think Slumdog Millionaire is great on it's own? I still wanna see it. As for Benjamin Button, I thought it was beautiful, not at all painful to watch. It isn't fast paced, but I would go see it in the theater again. It was magical.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I didn't know anything about slumdog and I really enjoyed it.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I didn't know anything about slumdog and I really enjoyed it.

That's what I had heard from a few people, I'm excited to see it. I've only seen one preview of it, and it looked beautiful.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I must say Dev Patel is pretty hot too, kind of young for me but hey I can look
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

13. Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I must say Dev Patel is pretty hot too, kind of young for me but hey I can look
    Hubba, hubba...I think he is adorable!!!

I said that to one of the young women who work for me and she said his ears are too big ...he'll grow into them...

Are you sure about the director being 18? I saw him accept an award (I think it was the director) and he is hasn't seen 18 in a llllooonnnnngggg time!*

*I looked it up...Danny Boyle the director is 52.

I am so pleased that Slumdog and AR Rahman won awards...and rightfully so! AR Rahman is phenomenal in writing music scores - the amount he's done and in various languages is astounding. I've listened to a lot of his work with Indian films and Bollywood, so it was neat to see him recognized in Hollywood!

I liked "Benjamin Button" but I found that parts really dragged. My BF liked it a lot better than I did.

I am looking forward to seeing "Milk" and "Slumdog" and I also want to see "Vicky Christina Barcelona" and "Rachel Getting Marries" with Anne Hathaway.

There were actually a ton of good movies that came out this year, far more than past years. There are also a few upcoming films that I would like to see. The one with Johnny Depp (can't remember the title) looks especially good!