Thread: Dying British TV star marries - RIP March 22 #6; wedding video #8

Dying British TV star marries - RIP March 22 #6; wedding video #8

Dying British TV star marries as cameras roll

52 minutes ago

LONDON (AFP) - Dying reality TV star Jade Goody married her fiance on Sunday in the latest installment of her very public fight with terminal cancer which has enchanted and unnerved the British public in near equal measure.

Goody, 27, who found fame after appearing in the show "Big Brother" in 2002, wed fiance Jack Tweed in a lavish ceremony and reception at a country house hotel north of London, her publicist Max Clifford confirmed.

Their big day -- media rights for which sold for a reported one million pounds (1.1 million euros, 1.4 million dollars) -- was organised in the nine days since Tweed proposed to her in hospital when her illess was diagnosed as terminal.

It was a "happy ceremony with lots of tears, lots of smiles, lots of laughter ... (a) very beautiful, very moving service," Clifford said. He added that the bride had taken painkillers to get her through the day.

Goody has defended her decision to live out in the public eye what will likely be her last weeks, saying the money she earned would help provide for her two young sons, aged five and four.

"I've lived in front of the cameras. And maybe I'll die in front of them," the star, who has lost her hair after chemotherapy for cervical cancer, told last week's News of the World newspaper.

"I know some people don't like what I'm doing, but at this point I really don't care what other people think. Now, it's about what I want."

Goody's approach has prompted an agonised debate in Britain about the rights and wrongs of such a public death.

Some commentators admire her fortitude and determination to protect her children.

Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, the leader of Catholics in England and Wales, told Sky News: "A lot of people say: 'Well, it's better if she did everything in quiet.'

"But I think she's made a decision that she wants the last months of her life to teach people something."

Others, though, see something ghoulish in the volume of newsprint devoted to her in recent days.

"There are precedents for the place that Jade Goody occupies in modern British life -- people once used to queue at fairgrounds to watch human freaks," the Guardian said in an editorial on Tuesday.

"But her fame really is a story of our own media age".

Even British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has described Goody's plight as a "tragedy", adding: "Everyone who suffers cancer has the thoughts of me, and I think the whole country, over what they've got to go through."

Exceptionally, Justice Secretary Jack Straw also stepped in to ensure that Tweed, 21 -- freed from jail last month after attacking a teenager with a golf club -- can spend his wedding night with Goody, despite it breaching his bail terms.

Goody's rise to fame underlines the huge popularity that reality television shows have built up in Britain in the last decade.

On her first "Big Brother" appearance, the ex-dental nurse from south London came fourth and was best known for her loud mouth and lack of general knowledge, referring to East Anglia, an area of England, as "East Angular".

She later released an autobiography and her own perfume before returning as a contestant on "Celebrity Big Brother" in 2007.

This saw her spend weeks being filmed in a house with contestants including Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty, who she referred to as "Shilpa Poppadom", sparking a major race row in Britain and India.

Goody's career subsequently nose-dived. Last year, she appeared in the Indian version of "Big Brother" -- "Bigg Boss" -- but pulled out after being diagnosed with cancer.

Shetty has said she is "sad" about the news, telling ITV on Thursday: "I really want people to forget the past and I really want them to pray and send her good wishes because that's something that will give her energy."

Reality TV star Jade Goody has got married after being told by doctors she may only have months to live. The day before the ceremony, she kissed her fiance, Jack Tweed, for photogaphers.

Earlier, the star's bridesmaids arrived at her house wearing flesh-coloured bathing caps in a show of solidarity with the bride, who has been undergoing chemotherapy.
    Last edited by Catty1; 03-22-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: News update
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I know there has been a lot of controversy over her doing this, I am wondering what others here think, I read she is doing it for the future of her children, she will get paid quite a bit i believe.

Honestly i think if she wants to do that, fair enough,who are we to judge.

I know she has not been that like able person because of her racists remarks etc, but no-one deserves to die like that so young.

I feel sad for her, and i hope she beats the odds and she pulls through, and if she does and she made some money out of it, well good for her.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    If she's doing it for the money to provide for her kids when she's gone - then I say "good for her"! At least it's about the children and not herself, as it is with another well known "Mom of Many" that has been in the news lately!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I admire her for what she is doing! She is making sure her children have a future by not leaving them penniless. It would be easier to fade away and just die quietly.. Patrick Swayze and that professor who gave his last lecture (it is on you tube I think).. they called attention to themselves and the fact that they had/have cancer and THAT can only help the cause. I admire her for doing this and bringing it back in the limelight, and ensure to her children's future.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I admire her if she is calling attention to this for her kids and to make sure they are taken care of financially. I hope the guy she married is ready and willing to step in and take care of those kids after she passes. All the money in the world can't buy love...

British reality TV star Jade Goody loses cancer fight

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009...h-reality.html

British reality TV star Jade Goody loses cancer fight
    Last Updated: Sunday, March 22, 2009 | 10:17 AM ET
    The Associated Press

British reality TV star Jade Goody, a dental assistant whose whirlwind journey from poverty to celebrity to tragedy became a national soap opera, has died.

The 27-year-old had cervical cancer and died in her sleep early Sunday at her home in Essex, southeast England, her publicist Max Clifford said.

Jade Goody poses in 2006 with her autobiography in a London bookstore. (Yui Mok/Associated Press)

Goody gained fame at 21 in 2002 when she joined the reality television show Big Brother, in which contestants live together for weeks and are constantly filmed.

Loud and brash, she became a highly divisive star — initially mocked as an ignorant slob, then celebrated as a forthright everywoman by a hungry tabloid press.

It was a pattern of praise and condemnation that followed her for the rest of her life. Goody sparked debate about race, class and celebrity in Britain.

For some, Goody was a survivor who had overcome a tough childhood in a poor London district. Her father was absent and often in jail, and her mother struggled with drug addiction.

But she was also reviled in the press during her stint on Big Brother for her weight, her big mouth and her apparent lack of general knowledge — she branded the English region of East Anglia "East Angular" and asked whether it was abroad.

She didn't win the show, but she did become a celebrity, earning millions through television and magazine appearances, an autobiography, a perfume and a series of exercise videos.

It was during a followup stint on a celebrity version of Big Brother in 2007 that Goody was labelled a racist bully for her treatment of another contestant, Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty.

Goody bad-mouthed Shetty's cooking of Indian food, mocked her accent and referred to her as "Shilpa Poppadom." While complaints against the show skyrocketed, so did ratings.

'I argue like that with everybody'

Goody's treatment of Shetty sparked anger in India and Britain — even becoming the topic of debate during a House of Commons question-and-answer session with then-prime minister Tony Blair.

A major sponsor suspended its advertising deal with Celebrity Big Brother, and a chain of perfume shops pulled a Goody-endorsed fragrance, ironically named "Shh..."

After television viewers voted to evict Goody from the show, Goody — herself of mixed race — insisted she wasn't a racist.

"I argue like that with everybody. It wasn't just because of the colour of her skin that I was that aggressive," she told Britain's GMTV.

After the eviction, the Indian Tourism Office invited Goody to travel to the country. She did, visiting charity projects and later agreeing to appear on an Indian version of the show.

"The people of India have only seen a small part of me and I'd like to show them that there is more to me," Goody said. "I'm a mother of two, a businesswoman. I can't be all that bad."

While fighting cancer, Jade Goody and her fiance, Jack Tweed, kiss in front of her home in southern England on Feb. 21, a day before their wedding. (Chris Radburn/Associated Press)

It was during filming of the show in the summer of 2008 that Goody received a diagnosis of cervical cancer by telephone from a doctor in Britain. The camera captured the deeply personal moment, which was shown repeatedly on TV in Britain, though not in India.

The progress of her illness was chronicled in detail in the tabloid press and weekly magazines, to the unease of many.

"Goody isn't rich or famous because she won the lottery: she's rich and famous because we bought all those papers and magazines and ghosted books with her on the cover, because we watched her television series, because we cheered when she was good and booed when she was bad, because we sat around discussing her over lunch," wrote columnist India Knight in the Sunday Times.

"Now she's dying, she's making us all feel bad, so we want her to go away, like a broken toy that's stopped being fun."
    Sold rights to February wedding

In February, a bald and frail Goody married fiance Jack Tweed in an elaborate event at an elegant countryside hotel outside London. She reportedly sold the photos for more than $1 million US.

Goody defended being paid for interviews and photo shoots.

"People will say I'm doing this for money," she said. "And they're right, I am. But not to buy flash cars or big houses — it's for my sons' future if I'm not here.

"I don't want my kids to have the same miserable, drug-blighted, poverty-stricken childhood I did."

Before her rise to fame, Goody worked for a period as a dental nurse. She had an unhappy childhood in a poor south London neighbourhood.

Her father was a heroin addict who served jail time for robbery and died in 2005, and her mother is a former crack addict who lost the use of an arm in a motorcycle accident.

While many empathized with Goody as she had surgery and chemotherapy in the public eye — filming part of the experience for another TV series — she inspired vitriol in others. A website was even set up, devoted to predicting when she would die.

In February 2009, Goody's publicist said the cancer had spread to her liver, bowel and groin.

Goody is survived by Tweed and her sons, Bobby and Freddie, with an ex-boyfriend, television presenter Jeff Brazier. She also is survived by her mother, Jackiey Budden.

Budden told reporters Sunday: "Family and friends would like privacy at last."
    © The Canadian Press, 2009

I was very sad to hear this, may she rest in peace, and her family find comfort at this very sad time, so young a life to be taken, i feel so sorry for her new husband and children, i hope she did make a lot of money so at least they can all have a decent life, she certainly did not have it easy in life and it is very sad.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Wedding Video excerpts - if you don't get a lump in your throat....
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...id=16264285001

celebs remember her - very nice, actually.
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=17200853001
    Last edited by Catty1; 03-22-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Yes this was a sad story of Jade.. She fought the cancer hard & still kept her sprits up for her family & friends.. RIP Jade..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>