Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raven and the rabbit

Raven and the rabbit

Last summer a young cottontail took up residence in my yard, behind and under my shed. I walked into the kitchen one day and looked out the window to see Raven just a few feet from the rabbit, frozen. I kept waiting for her to give chase or pounce, but she never moved. She stayed that way for a good 20 minutes or so, until one of the others went out and scared it off.

It's become a favorite pastime since then. I wonder if Raven has some pointing lab in the mix as she seems to have some pointing behaviors and instincts. She never chases the bunny, just approaches a certain amount and then freezes. I've started calling the rabbit Bugs (as in Bugs Bunny) as it has become a regular resident here, and has at least doubled in size since he first took up residence. I caught a video clip from out my office window last summer of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQf4moh4PpM

Today, I got up to get some tea and Raven was standing frozen on the deck. Sure enough Bugs was out there, and a lot bigger!

And then a random pic thrown in for fun from later this evening, after Raven and Tommy had spent a good hour wrestling and playing, until they finally crashed:

ETA: Found a photo of the rabbit from earlier in the summer:
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Hee hee! Good girl, Raven! Thanks for not chasing the bunny!

My friend had two Pointers, both rescues that hadn't had any training, but the slightest odd noise from somewhere, and they'd both go into textbook perfect one paw raised, tail out straight, rigid POINT!
    I've Been Frosted

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    How sweet. Totally different events would have occurred at our house. And, your little bunny friend sure grew up to be a handsome one!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Oh wow, that's adorable. There would be a MUCH different outcome at my house.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

That's so cute! Not sure what wouldn't happen with my two.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

good baby not chasing the bunny!
    Our two hunters would definitely chase. Trey likes to chase the squirrls. one time one went into shock and trey caught him. The lab mouth he has, he was very gentle and just licked it till it "woke" back up. Haven't really seen any since then, I was freaking out and thought it was dead : (! fortunately he bounced back and squirted off! haha! fun pictures, thanks for showing!

Happy Raven! How sweet of you to keep an eye on the bunny! I love the picture of Raven and Tommy crashing and I love the ones of the bunny through the fence posts. HUG HUG HUG for Raven, Tommy and Tasha!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Well that's amazing, Raven standing there so still for that long. There's no way my 2 would. There'd be much barking and nose poking (well attempted... not sure they're fast enough to actually nose poke a rabbit... ).

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Heya Par!

It's amazing to me too especially since otherwise Raven is so full of bounce and run. If she's not sleeping she's never really holding all that still . So my amazement when I first saw her frozen like that was even greater because I never would have guessed she'd have the patience or attention span to sustain it for so long. She's so very meticulous and careful when she sees her bunny buddy out there.

Tommy is oblivious to Bugs, Tasha will chase him if she sees him, but she is usually looking up when she goes out, she's more a squirrel kinda girl .

Thanks for the comments!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

That must be amazing to be able to watch and see the rabbit grow.Raven is such a good pup,When we first moved into our home 5 years ago we had a family of chipmunks in our back yard,Thanks to Maggy we no longer see any chipmunks or squirrels.

They dont hurt any of the wildlife but they do chase them off.

Do you feed this bunny?

Awwwww, what a good girl you are, Raven. This doesn't surprise me. I love this story, Jess. It's so sweet. The bunny has really grown and he's quite beautiful. The pic of Tommy and Raven is priceless. I think you have the most comfy place for the doggies to sleep that I've ever seen.

Kisses all around from me please!! {{{{{JESS}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Awwww, Raven always brings a smile to my face. I can't believe she stands so still while she is watching the bunny. We certainly wouldn't have that kind of behavior here. Bugs has grown into a healthy looking bunny and thats so cool that you get to watch him. Love the picture of Tommy and Raven all crashed out on their beds. Please give some hugs and kisses to all three furkids!

By the size of it, the BIG Bunny looks like it'd give Raven a run for her money! Mz Logan stalks and freezes too, but the outcome would be different here, too!!!!!! I love you Raven and Tommy.

I've been Boooo'd!

aww raven how cute!!
    dang that is a HUGE bunny!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Can't believe I didn't catch this thread. Pointers are fascinating dogs and she looks like one in that video!