View Poll Results: Grain Free/Holistic Kitty Foods?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weruva

0 0%
  • B.F. Before Grain

1 33.33%
  • Tiki Cat

0 0%
  • Others you've tried/would recommend

2 66.67%

Thread: Holistic/Grain Free kitty foods?

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Holistic/Grain Free kitty foods?

I've been recommended some different foods for Mitzi to try from a friend on another board who I trust.

A board search here is coming up with nothing so I'm making a new thread to see what you guys think and get your opinions. Has anyone heard of or tried any of these foods?

Weruva
    B.G. Before Grain
    Tiki Cat

I'm about to go pick some up for Mitzi on my lunch hour - they look good! I'm hoping my little princess approves.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

My kitties eat the B.G. chicken dry food and love it a whole lot. Haven't tried the B.G. canned varieties--my critters like Merrick, Prairie, Eagle Pack, and Pinnacle canned (but only certain flavors, of course ).

Kiri, whose kidneys failed entirely two years ago, eats the canned foods mentioned above (and even though she's pretty much toothless, she sneaks a bite of the dry food now and then). Her kidney levels have been pretty much normal.

Krazyaboutkatz posted in a thread I started about crystals in urine about a grain free food she feeds her kitties. I am looking into trying it for Morgan but right now he has to be on the s/d for 3 more weeks.

I'm sorry to hear about Morgan. My cat Storm has had crystal problems and has even been blocked two times before so he had the PU surgery. He used to be on Royal Canin Urinary S/O formula but is now on the grain free Innova Evo dry and canned food. He's been doing great and hasn't had any more problems since being on this food.

You know I have never ever seen any of those brands.. Do you get this from a Vet or Pet Store??

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    You know I have never ever seen any of those brands.. Do you get this from a Vet or Pet Store??
    Pet stores, but not the chain stores like Petco - usually the smaller neighborhood "boutique" type of pet stores that sell the higher priced good stuff. Actually the BG is cheaper than the Science Diet the vet is recommending ($17.99 for a 6 lb. bag!) and it's better for them IMHO.

Mitzi is going to be spoiled rotten! I got her a variety pak of the Tiki Cat wet food, a couple of cans of the Weruva and a 6 lb. bag of the B.G.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

I changed from Iams to Wilderness Blue and I cannot believe the change in my cat's eating habits!! They don't eat as much and are more fulfilled. MooShoo's pouch has gone down SUBSTANTIALLY!!! I'll never buy anything else.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I tried several of them 2 years back when we were trying to figure out Boby's allergies (turned out NOT to be food). But I never heard of any of those you listed.

http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/sea...-free-cat-food

Nature's Variety Instinct was the one I settled on at that time.

Wellness Core is also highly rated, and we had that for 2 weeks (we stopped because we were trying to source his allergies, remember, not that there was anything wrong with it).

They were all EXTREMELY expensive, so I prefer to stick with a high quality kibble, but not grain free.

Pet Food Direct does carry several brands, if you want to tot he mail order route and not have to travel to a specialty store.
    http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/b...p?dept_id=1159

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Pet Food Direct does carry several brands, if you want to go the mail order route and not have to travel to a specialty store.
    http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/b...p?dept_id=1159
    LOL It's more out of the way for me just to get the Science Diet basic food. I live in San Francisco and work in Burlingame and from both places all I have within walking distance (less than 2 blocks) are boutique pet stores and in comparing prices, this stuff is actually cheaper than what Petco is charging for Science Diet these days.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

I recently switched out Smudge's canned food for Dick Van Patten's Limited Ingredients Diet, which comes in venison/peas and duck/peas. I offered him a bit of the canned venison/peas, and he loved it, but when I put some dry duck/peas in his bowl, he Hoovered it up and wouldn't touch the venison until he was sure I was in bed and not about to serve up more Duck Crispies! (He still gets 1/4 can twice a day so I can mix in his antihistamine, vitamins, fiber, and extra water.) Still too soon to tell, but he seems less itchy (his bald spot is a pale, undisturbed pink, minus the crusty patches and bleeding scratches he used to have) so I'm optimistic. It's pretty easy to find (Petco had it).

Love, Columbine

I've used Rocky Mountain Taste of the Wild . . . my two devons are quite satisfied with it. Grain free, no fillers -- Roasted Venison & Smoked Salmon

For All Life Stages
    Grain-Free
    Roasted Venison & Smoked Salmon
    Optimal Amino Acids
    Digestive Support System
    Antioxidants
    Omega Fatty Acid Blend
    Berry Blend
    Taurine
    Tomatoes
    No Corn, No Soy, No By-Products
    Chelated Minerals