Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! Ashes and her kittens. UPDATE in post #50

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! Ashes and her kittens. UPDATE in post #50

I meant to post Ashes up last week when we pulled her from a local pound, but so much has been going on. Ashes came to us very pregnant.

Ashes started going in to labor this morning around 11am. She had her first kitten at about 10:45 pm. The lil' guy was stuck, so I had to help. The second came very shortly after, the same issue. Ashes did not do a great job cleaning them and is sort of ignoring them. I have helped deliver kittens several times before, but never had this issue. They have not started to nurse and she barely cleaned them. I cleaned them with a dry towel and got them to breathe. Their breathing is a bit labored. They are very small as well. I am not sure if they are early and I really can't tell if Ashes even has milk. Like I said, I have assisted in birth before, but everytime the mama took care of her babies. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Ashes decided to get up and eat. Now she is laying down and I put the kittens by her to see if they would try to nurse, and they are not really doing anything but what seems to be resting. I am very worried about them and am not sure what to do for them or for her. I know she has about 2 more kittens, but she has not had any contractions since the second kitten. Could they have been early?

First baby

They are alive, but their breathing is very labored. They move, but barely.

Last edited by Reachoutrescue; 02-22-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Update

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

I looked up some info online:
    Occasionally kittens will be born prematurely. They will be small, thin, and have little or no hair. These kittens require intensive nursing care. Premature kittens often fail to nurse, and often need to be fed with a syringe, bottle or stomach tube. They also need to be kept warm if the queen rejects them.
    I offered the kittens some formula from a syringe. They refused at first, but then I got them to take about .4cc each. Better than nothing. I also was able to stimulate them to urinate. I have them in the cage with Ashes on a blanket with a heating pad underneath. I plan to feed them every hour or so until I can call my vet in the morning. I just hope I can save them.

Ashes is still resting comfortably. I found this online as well:
    So-called interrupted labor is sufficiently common in the cat to be considered a normal occurrence. In this case the queen ceases straining, rests happily, suckles those kittens already born and accepts food, despite still having more kittens to deliver. This resting stage may last up to 24 or even 36 hours, after which straining recommences and the remainder of the litter is born normally.
    This seems to be what is going on with her right now. I will call the vet when they open at 9am. Will keep you all posted. Any suggestions or advice well appreciated. You think after almost 5 yrs doing rescue that this would not be new to me....but I have NEVER seen this type of delivery before and just am so worried now.

www.rornfp.org

Sounds like you're doing all you can now, hope they thrive until you can see the vet.

Thank you. The first kitten has passed away, the second is still fighting to live, but I don't think he'll make it.

Ashes has not gone back into labor yet. Is it possible to go to term with the remaining kittens?

I'm going to try to get some sleep. I'll update soon.

www.rornfp.org

I experienced this w/my tortie, Pigeon. When I rescued her she was ready to deliver. Her kittens were premature, did not try to nurse and she kept trying to suffocate them. I finally had to remove them from her. She had three kittens, one born dead, another died shortly thereafter. I bottle fed the third one but it died w/in a couple of hours. Your vet may be able to give you some good advice. I did everything that my vet told me to do but the kittens just couldn't make it and Pigeon wasn't the least interested in them. She must have known that there was something wrong.

I'm sorry that this is happening and I do hope that you're able to save the surviving kittens but either way, know that you did your best w/them. It will be a round the clock issue to keep them alive until they're able to on their own with or without Ashes' help.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I had a foster, Silver. Her five kittens were born preemie on Halloween; they looked much like Ashes' kittens. She didn't know what to do with them, and we lost the whole litter.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

The little kitten is still fighting to hang on. He has been alive for about 7 hours now. I gave him another feeding at 7 am and he urinated. Ashes still has not had anymore kittens, but I can feel faint movements in her belly. I am not sure if it is kittens or just her body, but she still has quite a belly. I called my vet, but she was not in. The vet tech told me that Ashes will need to have a c-section to remove the remaining babies, as she will just wait for them to die to deliver them. I have a feeling we will lose them all, but we will do everything in our power to save them. It is so sad.

www.rornfp.org

Ashes and her babies are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep doing what you're doing, ROR. You are a hero.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Do what you can, as we know you will. Sometime no matter how hard you try, you can't save them, you just do the best you can for them.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I remember when Pouncette had two Kittens Gary and Ivon in the cellar where she ran and hid and I couldnt catch her.
    I wanted her to have her babies in the spare bedroom where it was safe and dry and warm, but Pouncette had other ideas.
    And there was the tiny head of a little Kitten that she had been born dead , I assume and that she had eaten. I guess thats an instinct of a wild Cat as they cant have something that will draw predators top the nest.
    Those Tiny Kittens will be Eternal Angels now, and will be a part of The Animal Angel Army, and loved for Eternity.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I don't have any advice but my prays are coming.

RIP small kitten.

Thank you everybody for your prayers. The lil' kitten is still fighting to live. I just fed him again at 9am...he just took a small amount.

I'm at the vet's now and waiting for Ashes to get out of surgery. They have just begun. I will update soon.

www.rornfp.org

OH my, I am just seeing this. I can imagine what that is like worrying about the kittens. I went through a similar situation with my friend and her Rottie.

I hope Ashes and any remaining kittens will be okay.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Prayers for Ashes and her babies. Even if just one makes it...

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The CREW is with you and Ashes. It sounds like yu are doing everything right.
    GILL & Crew;