Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chihuahuas ??

Chihuahuas ??

Okay, so I've been bugging my mom for the longest to get me a chihuahua. But she's pretty reluctant because all the chihuahuas she see are those nasty ones that nip and bare their teeth at anyone who comes close to their owner. And on top of that my uncle has a nasty little (well, he's overweight ) chihuahua named BooBoo who snaps at pretty much everyone.

But I know she's wrong, and I'm trying to prove her wrong, but it's pretty hard when all she sees on TV are the ones that have some issues.

My question is, Can all you nice folks on PT tell me about your chihuahuas? I want the good, the bad and the ugly. Please and thanks.

I don't own a Chihuahua, but have known several. Before we bought this house, there was a Chihuahua in our old neighborhood named Chico. He had been a rescue boy, but was as sweet and calm as could be - and friendly, too!
    He was so well behaved, he walked with his owner and she just let his leash drag on the ground behind him. That way, if Animal Control happened by, she could reach down and pick it up, but he otherwise could walk with her with no leash needed, really!
    I've Been Frosted

Thats exactly what my mom needs to hear ! Everytime I bring up the subject of a chihuahua its always "Oh, why do you want a chihuahua out of all dogs? They're so nasty. They're always biting someone. You see how BooBoo is. And the dog whisperer. The majority of dogs on there are chihuahuas."

Quote Originally Posted by Kewll0ser View Post
    Thats exactly what my mom needs to hear ! Everytime I bring up the subject of a chihuahua its always "Oh, why do you want a chihuahua out of all dogs? They're so nasty. They're always biting someone. You see how BooBoo is. And the dog whisperer. The majority of dogs on there are chihuahuas."
    Lol. My mom is TOTALLY like that. I mention pomeranian in a sentence and she ssays THEY BITE PEOPLE. I mention Chihuahua in a sentence and my brother says THEY YIP TOO MUCH

Well, from good experience I have found that Yorkies are really sweet snuggle bugs and love toys and people and all that but... They bark a whole lot.

There are some chihuahua owners here that can give you some insight. I know Chopper and Ryleighs mom (WELOVESPUPPIES) can tell you about her experiences.
    And Mister, and Daisy and Delilah....am I missing anyone??

Chihuahua's do have a bad rep. But it all depends on the owner. And your mom should see that in the Dog Whisperer shows. It's not the dog but the owner that allows the dog to act that way. People think - oh their so little they can do no wrong. And spoil them to the point that they become nippers or yippers.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by RipplingWaves55 View Post
    Lol. My mom is TOTALLY like that. I mention pomeranian in a sentence and she ssays THEY BITE PEOPLE. I mention Chihuahua in a sentence and my brother says THEY YIP TOO MUCH
    Exactly ! And then I used to have a Lhasa Apso named Bandit and because he was food agressive bit alot , we had to give him up to a friend who had experience with agressive dogs and could better take care of him and make him happier and not constantly live in fear. I hear now that hes much better and could even eat with people touching him. (He was food agressive because the group we rescued him from had to take him from a BYB in which he was in a cage with many other dogs who tried to steal his food, so he had to fight to get food.)

So with the mention of any small dog she just looks at me and says "You see how Bandit was. It's the small dogs. Butto is the nicest dog ever, and shes big and mixed." And I'm like "Size has nothing to do with the dog, its the owner. You see where Bandit came from." And its a ongoing arguement from there with no prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Chihuahua's do have a bad rep. But it all depends on the owner. And your mom should see that in the Dog Whisperer shows. It's not the dog but the owner that allows the dog to act that way. People think - oh their so little they can do no wrong. And spoil them to the point that they become nippers or yippers.
    Thats what I'm trying to say. If you don't spoil the dog, then it wont end up like the ones on tv. Just because a dog is little doesn't mean its an angel.
    I know how to raise a dog; Butto is the sweetest dog I ever had and can tolerate almost anything. (her weakness is cats) So I'm pretty sure I raise a chihuahua well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewll0ser View Post
    Thats what I'm trying to say. If you don't spoil the dog, then it wont end up like the ones on tv. Just because a dog is little doesn't mean its an angel.
    I know how to raise a dog; Butto is the sweetest dog I ever had and can tolerate almost anything. (her weakness is cats) So I'm pretty sure I raise a chihuahua well.
    I hope you didn't think I was saying you couldn't raise a dog correctly. I was just giving you something to tell your mom.
    Well, if she won't let you have a small dog now, just wait until you are older and get one yourself. Then you can show her how good your dog is. And change her mind about small breed dogs.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I hope you didn't think I was saying you couldn't raise a dog correctly. I was just giving you something to tell your mom.
    Well, if she won't let you have a small dog now, just wait until you are older and get one yourself. Then you can show her how good your dog is. And change her mind about small breed dogs.
    No I didnt think you were saying that at all. Sorry if it came across that way. I was just saying that I'm sure I can raise a chihuahua to be nice and not snippy and spoiled.

Thats what I'm going to do if she doesn't change her mind. Get myself the small dog and show her, like "BAM! In your face."

Its a fight because she wants a German Shephard and I want a Chihuahua. I have nothing against German Sherpards, its just that I want a Chihuahua.

Let me see if I can help here. Thanks to our mayor for the headsup.

I currently have two Chihuahuas, Daisy and Delilah. They are preceded by my longhaired Chi, Killer. I used to be just like your Mom. I sterotyped Chis as biters, yappers, etc.

Now, I say, once you get to know a Chihuahua, you will know what it's like to love a Chihuahua. Not all Chis are sweethearts and some are nippers, yappers, etc. However, they can be trained. They're smart little doggies. Sometimes they're a little stubborn but most of the time, they're very trainable.

My girls are sweethearts. They don't nip unless they're threatened and that's rare. I think Delliah nipped someone one time and it was a vet tech that startled her. Daisy doesn't try to nip anybody. They're very much attached to humans and must have human contact. They like to sleep under the covers with you and Chis are known burrowers.
    They can be socialized with no problem. If not, they can become territorial.

Like any other breed, they need training and love. They're not perfect. No dog is perfect. If they start to nip, bite , or act mean(after proper training), get them to the vet. There may be a medical condition. I really feel there could almost always be a medical condition to cause this type of behavior. If not medical, there could be something in their past that triggers bad behavior. If you put quality time into raising the doggie, you will be a happy person.

Best of luck to you in convincing your Mom. Keep us posted!

To add: My Daisy loves being picked up so I hope you don't mind that.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I need to say one more thing.

Delilah is an "oversized" Chihuahua. She's about twice her sister's size. Maybe your Mom would go more for a bigger Chi than no Chi at all?? Just a thought.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I don't have chihuahuas, but there are 5 between two of my aunts. One aunt has 4, the other has 1.

One of them is the sweetest little dog ever. Always wagging tail and licking at anybody he can. Not the least bit barky. He doesn't fit the mold for the rest of this aunt's unsocialized dogs.

One barks at everybody in sight besides her owners. She'll nip if you try to pick her up, but once you have her, she'll melt in your hands. I pick her up everytime she barks at me in attempt to show her I'm not going to hurt her.

I haven't had much interaction with the other two in this house but they bark bark bark and run to hide just like their mother above.

The last one is protective and a barker. He likes people a lot, unless he's being held by somebody. You can't reach over to pet him while he's being held. My aunt is working on socialization.

All five were pretty easily trained though and are able to be walked offleash.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Thanks everyone ! I'll be sure to show my mom this. I'll try to convince her that its the owner that is responsible for the nipping. I know why BooBoo nips: my aunt spoils him to death. Everytime he nips someone she just grabs him, puts him on her lap and pets him. Basically encouraging an unstable mind.

I'll also tell her about the 'oversized' chihuahua. Maybe that one will encourage her.

I was so surprised to read your post about nasty Chihuahuas. I've got tons of friends or neighbours who have a couple each or even just one and they are the sweetest ,most cuddly little dogs . I've actually never seen a nasty Chihuahua, that's why your post surprised me. I've seen some that thought they were huge and macho and would bark to warn someone was at the door but as soon as you go in they beg to be petted.