Thread: Bathing more often?

Bathing more often?

Henry is the first dog i've owned that doesn't shed (and i'm lovin it lol)

but 2 weeks after a bath he smells more than my dogs that do shed.

Is it ok to bath a non shedding dog more often than a shedding dog or will it still damage their skin/coat?

I want to keep him coat fluffier instead of shaving him down all the time but i dont want him to stink all the time

My dogs all shed, and they get bathed pretty often anyway. Every 3 to 4 weeks usually, with no ill effects.
    Last edited by Tollers-n-Dobes; 01-29-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

All my dogs shed too. Shedding or no shedding, bathing requirements are pretty much the same.

Chloe has short fur and pretty much only gets a bath once or twice a year. She just doesn't need one. Dirt just doesn't stick to her.

Beanie gets a bath once every month or as needed.

Talon gets a bath every couple of months or right before every dog show. This could mean two weeks in a row. I use a very mild shampoo for Talon when I bathe him so close together. I've had no ill effects. If the dog needs to be bathed more often than, let's say once a month I'd use a mild shampoo. Something that won't dry out the skin or make the coat brittle. If you don't want to bathe the dog so often I would try waterless shampoos. It looks like your dogs all have longer coats. I would comb him out at least once a week. Not brush. Comb! This gets all the way to the skin and removes dirt and things that could smell.

I hope this helps!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

When it's summer out here my dogs live in the water and it doesn't harm their skin at all. We often soap them up while they're wet, they seem to have a nicer coat with all the swimming. In winter I send them to the groomer's as needed. My friend has a rottweiler who swims all day also and the coat is not dry either. Doesn't seem to affect the shedding any on ours at least.