Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phinehas and Malachi health issues - confirmed diagnoses: herpes virus in the eye

Thanks for the good update. I tried calling you but I guess you're not home yet. I hope he'll continue to do well from now on.

Phinehas definitely seems to be better in the potty department and he's been eating and drinking. The latest thing now is he's gagging...a lot. He's been sneezing a bit, so I wasn't sure if the gagging comes from him having mucous in his throat or something else. He seems interested in playing with the laser light and he looks fine when he's active, but when he tries to curl up in his bed, he starts having these gagging fits. I just wish he would get better. I don't know if I should bring him into the vet for this or just wait it out another day or so.

Update On Phinehas

I went over to Karen's today to see her two cats and to try to take some pictures. Poor Phinehas. He looks like he's lost some weight and he seemed very congested and stuffed up. He also gagged a few times like he was trying to cough something up. Can cats get post nasal drip?

Karen made an appointment for him for tomorrow at 12:30pm which was the earliest that the vets office had. My vet was already booked up so she'll be seeing a different vet. It looks like Phinehas has a bad case of an URI which the new kitten probably brought into the house. He's been taking amoxycillin since last Thurs. but it just doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

He is eating and drinking and he will play but he's not as energetic and vocal as usual. Karen said that he also had more diarrhea today. I told her that the antibiotics may also be causing this. I gave her some probiotics that I've giving Starr so hopefully this will help him. I hope that the vet will be able to help him feel better and that he'll finally recover from this nasty bug. I'll be keeping Phinehas in my thoughts and prayers.

Just as a precaution, I took off my clothes when I got home and I changed into clean ones. I also wiped down everything that I had brought over to Karen's with clorox disinfecting wipes. I sure don't want to bring this bug home with me. Please send some positive vibes to Phinehas. Thanks.

Prayers that poor Phinehas will be better soon!

I recall having to be on antibiotics for 3 months straight a number of years ago - and I took my yogurt caps in between doses of erythromycin. It worked!

Hugs and kisses for Karen and her baby.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for everyone's continued prayers for Phinehas. I took him back to the vet today for a re-check and he still didn't have a temperature and his lungs sounded fine according to the vet even though he sounds congested to me. They took some more blood and did a blood panel and everything came back normal (just got a call back from the vet about that), but they did seem concerned about a heart murmur and recommended that he get a heart ultrasound to check it out. I'm still worried about him since he's never had any problems before and now all of a sudden he does. He's still not as active as he usually is and pretty much has just been laying in bed all day. They did give him more fluids today and also they took his blood pressure. Poor guy, I sure hope he's going to be ok. His heart ultrasound is scheduled for Wednesday with KAK's vet who specializes in cats.

Thanks for the update Karen. I'm so glad to hear that his blood work is normal. Hopefully his heart murmur isn't anything to worry about. Both my Sunny and Sky have slight ones and Dr. Boltz said that we should just keep an eye on them to make sure that they don't get worse. I'm so glad that you'll be seeing her. You'll love her. I'll keep Phinehas in my thoughts and prayers. Please try not to worry and take care. (((HUGS)))

Sending all my best wishes to Phinehas- there has been good news up to now so we hope all will be clearing up soon.

Thank you for the continued thoughts/prayers for Phinehas. He's still not himself and I'm really hoping he gets better soon and that the heart ultrasound doesn't reveal anything bad.

Poor Malachi's left eye started watering a whole lot last night and it looked a bit red, so I am wondering if he scratched it or if his gooey eyes are coming back. I swear these guys are starting to go in cycles!

Malachi's turn

Poor Malachi's left eye is really red and inflamed and watery and gooey. Poor little thing! He just looks so pathetic. I left a VM for KAK's vet about this if there was something I could do for him and wait till tomorrow when I go in with Phinehas or if I should bring him in today since I can't quite tell if his eye was scratched or if it's part of the URI my kitties are sharing. I stepped away from my desk and when I came back I had a VM back from Dr. Bolz's assistant Hannah saying I could probably get an appointment for today. I left another VM to find out when.
    Fingers crossed that poor Malachi's eye will be ok!

I swear! I can't catch a break!

Karen, I'm sorry to hear this but I'm glad that you'll be able to see my vet today. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'll keep both of them in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope they just both have a 'bug' that can be cleared up. URI's can go back and forth.

Phinehas may have had the murmur for some time - many cats have them and live fine lives.

{{{{hugs}}}} and best of luck at the vet's!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh no! That is just too much. Let's hope the vet gets it fixed.
    Sending all my best wishes to both sweet patients.

The CREW sends thier best. We hope that it is nothing to bad and your kids get over this soon.
    We are sending all our prayers.
    GILL & Crew;

Thanks everyone! Malachi goes in today at 4pm. I will also discuss with the vet about scheduling his neuter surgery. Poor little guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    Oh no! That is just too much. Let's hope the vet gets it fixed.
    Sending all my best wishes to both sweet patients.
    What Barbara said goes for me too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678