Thread: A question about calcium tablets

A question about calcium tablets

Dear PT, can anyone help me with calcium supplements? After I broke my ankle my doctor told me to go get a bone scan. Yesterday I got a call from the nurse that the bone scan showed moderate osteopenia. I am to take 1.2 grams of calcium per day and 400 IU of vitamin D. She didn't say if I should use Tums or Rolaids, Citracal, Os-Cal, Caltrate or specifically what type of calcium I should buy. I found a multivitamin with iron that contains 400 IU of vitamin D, which is 100% of the U.S. recommended daily allowance. If I improve my diet do I still need to take calcium? I really don't want this to progress to osteoporosis.

I am also to start weight-bearing exercise. I can't wait till the weather gets better so I can walk outside. For now I guess I'll be walking at the mall.

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Iīm not sure.. but I do know that prolongued use of tums, rolaids, etc... might develop in hypercalcemia... and turn into stones.. (bladder or something)

also if a multivitamin has already 100% of USRDA... not sure but i donīt think you should stop eating "x" thing because it also has vitamin D... just like with orange juice if you drink a glass an it supposedly has, I donīt know, letīs say 60 % vitamin C but you also took a tablet of Vit C with 100% USDRA... then the extra just gets out of your system via urine, etc... but not sure how vit. D works...
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

You should still take the calcium tablets even if you improve your diet. In our Western diet it is extremely difficult to get sufficient levels of calcium just from food. Most people still need a supplement. If you are already taking a multivitamin with D in it, you can just take a plain calcium tablet (with no D).

Husky_mom is correct, you really should not be taking that much Tums or Rolaids for an extended period of time. So you are better off with the pills. The good thing is that it really doesn't matter what brand you are taking. You just want to take 2 pills a day of Calcium 600mg. Personally I buy the really big containers (250 pills), so it will last me awhile.

Good luck with this. This is definitely one condition that prevention is the better option than treatment.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The accepted standard supplement is 600 mg calcium and 400U vitamin 3 times per day with meals, tho I take 4 doses each day. You can get these over the counter in the vitamin dept anywhere in a combination tablet. I don't believe Tums or Rolaids is going to be as beneficial.
    Even if you improve your diet, it probably won't be good enough, and you should still add a supplement if your doctor has recommended it.
    Osteoporosis is no picnic - it's silent and painless - until it rears it's ugly head. I have severe osteoporosis and have had several bone fracture in the past few years. My orthopaedic surgeon said if my bones get any more porous, that he won't be able to see them on an x-ray! Unfortunately I can't take any of the prescription bone building drugs, and they're still working to find something that I can take that will work.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Definitely take the calcium. I take 1200mg per day, in two divided doses. The body will only absorb so much at one time, so make sure you take the doses several hours apart.

I take plain calcium tabs with Vit D. I also take another 800mg of Vitamin D per day on the recommendation of my doctor.

5 years ago I had Osteopenia in my spine. Now it is reversed thanks to the extra calcium and doing weight-bearing exercises 5 days/week.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Definitely take the calcium. I take 1200mg per day, in two divided doses. The body will only absorb so much at one time, so make sure you take the doses several hours apart.
    Me too. That's what my dr. reccomended for the pregnancy.

I have been on Didro-Cal for the last ten years because of several fractures and bone density loss. The daily dosage is 1500mg so maybe over the counter stuff won't give you enough. Could your doctor recommend something? Even a pharmacist would be able to give you a pretty good answer to this.

I too am taking 1200 mg of calcium daily, per my doctor and ok'd by my nutritionist. I also take extra vitamin D as I was found severely deficient at my check up last year.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm on Calcium with Vitamin D for Osteopenia (pre-osteoporosis in my right thigh). I'm due for another bone density test soon.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Dear PT, can anyone help me with calcium supplements? After I broke my ankle my doctor told me to go get a bone scan. Yesterday I got a call from the nurse that the bone scan showed moderate osteopenia. I am to take 1.2 grams of calcium per day and 400 IU of vitamin D. She didn't say if I should use Tums or Rolaids, Citracal, Os-Cal, Caltrate or specifically what type of calcium I should buy. I found a multivitamin with iron that contains 400 IU of vitamin D, which is 100% of the U.S. recommended daily allowance. If I improve my diet do I still need to take calcium? I really don't want this to progress to osteoporosis.

I am also to start weight-bearing exercise. I can't wait till the weather gets better so I can walk outside. For now I guess I'll be walking at the mall.

Thanks,
    Elyse

Well, I goofed. I am to take 1.2 grams of calcium and 800 IU of vitamin D (not 400 IU). I have mint-flavored Tums on hand, 400mg each, so I'm just going to use those up first. They have a terrible after-taste but I hate to rush out and purchase another calcium when I have this on hand. I'll ask the pharmacist about the vitamin D. Thank you, everyone for helping me sort this out!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I have the same condition. I've taken almost every calcium tablet made, but it makes me so sick to my tummy, I stopped. My bad. Even Viactin, yummy caramel didn't help (though now they sell dissolving strips). Even the once a month stuff. My last physical revealed I had NO vitamin D in my system. So I tried again, and found that Oscal works great. No problems. I take 2 a day plus extra Vitamin D 400U's 3-4 x a day. I noticed a difference within a week. I felt much better, although I wasn't aware I didn't feel great until then.

I've been Boooo'd!