Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever sell on a flea market?

Did you ever sell on a flea market?

We thought our basement was too full of stuff and in our town hall there was a flea market.
    We packed boxes and went- haven't done that for more than 20 years.
    We sold books, fashion jewelry (like an enameled pendant out of the 70s for 2 Euro) and lots of kitty stuff (like wooden kitties and ceramic kitties) and earned 80 Euros
    The most expensive thing was a pot in which you can make your own sauerkraut which we had from Siegmar's parents. Nobody makes their own today but we sold it for 10 Euros.
    We feel quite rich today

Very impressive, Barbara! Someone else might as well get the use out of stuff you don't want.
    So how many books did you sell?

I'm just wondering if people have yard sales in Europe. They are quite common here in the US. People gather their "junk" and set up shop in their yard or garage to sell it. Many love going to yard sales, and even spend hours scouring through the papers setting up a route to take to get to as many sales as possible in a morning or whole day. I once heard that the US is one of the few countries where people rent storage units to stash more stuff. This thread reminded me of that, so I thought I'd also ask if those kinds of units are available in other parts of the world. It's basically like renting a garage to put your stuff. There are usually several rows of storage units located together. Maybe I'll have to take a picture tomorrow if I'm confusing anyone that isn't familiar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post

They are quite common here in the US.
    People gather their "junk" and set up shop in their yard or garage to sell it.

One person's *Junque*
    is another person's *Treasure*!

Around here, folks manage to sell the REAL junk - the stuff that's
    broken, doesn't work, is missing pieces ... ready for the trash! Just hang a sign
    on it saying "Broken / Doesn't Work" and it seems to increase in value!

It's great you got some money for your "junk", and it will look less cluttered at home. I really need to get rid of some things too, but as John, I have always been keeping things.

In the summertime, we can rent a little space in a various places - bring a table and put what you want to sell on it. The only problem is that you need a car to transport it there.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

In the Southeast they have the "longest yardsale in the world"!

We have yard sales, garage sales, estate sales which are the same thing as a flea market!

The Longest Yard Sale runs for a weekend and is something like 100 miles (It's more but I don't know the exact length!) long and people buy and sell all kinds of things!

Congrats on your new found weath and good luck!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

If we had a flea market here, I would love to sell stuff there! But, we don't, and I'm too lazy to organize a yard sale. So I end up just donating stuff to charity. Which is good.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    I'm just wondering if people have yard sales in Europe. They are quite common here in the US.
    Nope. I've lived in the USA during 2 years, and I must admit that I got addicted to yard sales !! We had our own "appartment sale" before we left, because we wanted to get rid of all the stuff we didn't need anymore, like furniture, our tv & radio, lamps, bicycle, etc... It was soooo much fun
    There are "rummage sales" though. That is f.e. a marketplace where everybody can rent a table, and sell whatever he wants. I participated in one last summer! I tried to sell my homemade 3D-cards; but it was no success. People were only interested in old junk
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    Nope. I've lived in the USA during 2 years, and I must admit that I got addicted to yard sales !! We had our own "appartment sale" before we left, because we wanted to get rid of all the stuff we didn't need anymore, like furniture, our tv & radio, lamps, bicycle, etc... It was soooo much fun
    There are "rummage sales" though. That is f.e. a marketplace where everybody can rent a table, and sell whatever he wants. I participated in one last summer! I tried to sell my homemade 3D-cards; but it was no success. People were only interested in old junk
    YEs, I have never had a yard sale here - there's no traffic on our street other than the people who live here. But I have helped at church yard sales - so everyone in the church brings their old stuff, and we set it out - many amazing bargains, that immigrants and students - we're on a major bus route - adored. We'd sell pots and pans for fifty cents each - you know, old, slightly dented but perfectly useable - and cups and glasses for ten cents apiece.
    I've Been Frosted

10. I participated in a neighborhood yard sale in Chicago and was surprised to learn what sells and what does not. Children's clothes are the biggest seller. Furniture the slowest seller.

I didn't make much money...and decided it is easier to donate and take the tax deduction!

Worlds longest Flea market goes from Gadsden,Alabama to West Unity ,Ohio passing through Tennessee and Kentucky covering 654 miles in length.

http://www.127sale.com/

A few years ago in our driveway, and then again. 2 broiling hot summers ago, again in the drive and the 2nd, what didn't sell, on a church parking lot that had to be 200 degrees! I didn't have "junk", I thought, but decent used stuff. I did lousy each time. So I swore I would never ever take days to box, load, unbox, set up and attempt it again. All goes to charity now. I'm so thrilled you did well, Barbara!

I've been Boooo'd!

I usually only go to one Flea market & don't sell stuff, but I love to
    shop there.http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/indiana...druffplace.htm

The neighborhood only has one market a year, but it lasts 3 days. The
    area has plenty of shade from the summer sun.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Actually we don't have yard/garage sales over here. I would love to do it because you wouldn't have to load and pack boxes and if you saw something in your cellar during the day you just grab it and sell it

Of course we could rent storage - but I cannot see paying money to store stuff that I don't need at ALL! I am not the world's most cluttered person (you can see that in my office which is fairly clean) but Siegmar surely is. I am glad he saw how long it takes to make money out of the stuff- so he is now much more ready to donate

I don't think we have the exact equivalent of the yard sales you describe, but once or twice a year in every village or town there is a dedicated day on which people can go on the street (it can be in front of their house if they live in the right street) and sell their stuff. It's probably more like the flea market described by Barbara.