Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great news about Simon

I'm sorry to hear this. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Simon started eating from his dish today and drinking water on his own!!!! My hubby force fed him this morning but later on Simon went to his dish and ate some on his own then drank some water. Since then he has been drinking water.

The shot must have helped his inflamation and pain for now. I sure hope it keeps helping him for hopefully up to six weeks. If it does he will have a chance to gain some weight.

Simon is so intelligent. When he looks at me it's like he knows things. My other cat doesn't seem quite as intelligent, she is a nice cat but Simon is very smart. He makes connections with us. He makes eye cantact when I talk and look at him.

He just went to his food bowl and is eating now. I think he even knows what I type. LOL

Thank you all for everything, it's helping !!!!!

Good!

In today's cat of the day - the kitty had a thyroid problem and he lost a lot of weight. I am sure Simon got tested for thyroid (T4 as well as regular?). Read Shadow's story.

So glad to hear that Simon is chowing down again!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

This is great news!!! I hope that he'll continue to eat on his own and gain some weight back. Please continue to keep us updated about him.

Sorry I haven't posted before, I'm glad Simon is eating on his own now. My prays that he continues to do well. Also, if you are having trouble affording vet care you can try United Animal Nations, CareCredit, etc. Just do a search on the internet, most places don't have a lot of funds right now due to the poor eco. but it doesn't hurt to try.

Melissa

I am not sure what I posted on here since the last time

I am posting at another site as well. We have had to go to force feeding and watering. This is what I wrote.

Well he was improving a bit with the force feeding and watering but tonight I am wondering how much longer we need to make him suffer. he growls and fights the feeding---who wouldn't.

I would be willing to keep it going for a long time but he may be telling me to let him go.

They could insert a feeding tube so we could just pour food into it but that is not a good thing to put him through either. He still needs his meds so as not to throw up. I wish he was older so the decision would be easier to make.

He has always been my bodyguard---at least he thinks so and it will be hard to let him go.

How do I make the decision?

Oh Janelle, how very distressing for you and sweet Simon. Yes, kitties can be extremely smart. I know when I tried to give Max his sub-q fluids he'd hide too and shake, cower in the corner and drool. It was then that I decided enough is enough. He's too old to put him through that.

How old is Simon?
    How do I make the decision?
    I asked myself the same question back in 2005 when my RB Speckles was at the end of her life. People say that the eyes say it all. I was dubious about that but when I looked into Speckles' eyes, she told me she was ready to go.

All you can do is make sure his quality of life is good. Once that goes downhill then it's time to think about other options.

All we can do is pray the send you lots of healing thoughts.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts about things.

My hubby came home tonight and when we talked about it he said to put it in God's hands now. I had another cat who got sick and his eyes did say it all. The thing with Simon is his eyes are still so intelligent and he still makes contact with us. That is what makes it so hard.

He is only 8 years old. My other cat was 18 and I knew he had a good life so it was easier to let him go.

I hate this time of year for any sickness. The vets will be out of the place in case I need them and one has to decide life and death on a schedule. We do have a pet hospital so I can use them I guess. Hopefully I won't need to.

Oh, Janelle, how maddening - to not even have a clear idea of what is wrong with poor Simon! Does your vet have any ideas? Is getting a second opinion maybe an idea?

{{{{hugs}}}} to you and your husband and dear Simon. I agree it can be put in God's hands...sometimes there is an unexpected miracle, and I pray there is one for young Simon.

This was on another board---does anyone have experience with Slippery Elm?

This was originally posted in November. I have not read the whole thing but I have arrested MANY a feline and human digestive problems using Slippery Elm which is a mucilaginous herb that normalizes the digestive tract.

It stops vomiting, loose bowels and even constipation. All you do is mix in 1/8 the adult dose into your cat's food. It calms and soothes. It works much better than those nasty drugs with all their various and sundry side effects.

Its best to mix it with some water as well. If you are taking it yourself, take three capsules with a glass of water three times a day if necessary.

I googled it and they have lots of info about it.

Janelle - I don't have experience with it. BUT why not ask your vet? Just give them a call.

If it won't hurt him, it just might help.

Has he been on pepcid? It soothes sensitive tummies that might stop a kitty from eating.

{{{{hugs}}}}

The vet told us to give him one forth pill of Pepcid and he gets that. Actually, we give him Prilosec since my hubby takes it. I just wondered if vets want people to go the holistic way and if this is a question for them but my hubby reminded me the vet needs to know all the things he takes because it all interacts together.

It can't hurt to ask, Janelle. There are holistic vets, but I don't know how much they might charge.

Have a look here for some starter info:
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5098887_sl...uses-pets.html

My prays are coming for Simon and you and your husband.

Melissa

I am waiting for my hubby to come home to take Simon to the vets to be put to sleep. He started throwing up the food we force fed him as well. I told my hubby to leave him alone and let him rest.

The vet knew nothing about slippery elm so didn't want us to try it with his other meds. He spent last night in the corner in our bedroom where the heat vent comes out. He is there now.

We got him hydrated before Christmas so we would have him with us but the vet will be out this weekend so do not want him to get bad when they are gone.

I would just let him be here until he died but I am not sure what he will go through. He might have a seizure and we would not know what to do for him. I hope this is the best way.