Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing with some new photo gear - NEW 'tutorials'

Playing with some new photo gear - NEW 'tutorials'

Just before Christmas I got a set of 4 in 1 illuminator kits on a supersale I just couldn't pass by.

Normally these things run $106! I was checking the camera store's used department to see what kinda bargains I could get hubby for Christmas and ran across that item on sale for $30!!! Needless to say I snapped that up in a hurry (only one they had there too) and got it for myself. LOL

It's cover is a bit stained and has a couple little holes in it, the reflectors/illuminators are wrinkled and a bit worn in the creases, but basically in fine shape!

I've been waiting to get the time and right lighting to really play with them though. So Friday I finally got my chance when Pooky was laying on a blanket on the couch . The couch is right next to a North facing picture window on the right, and I used the silver side of the reflector on the left just barely out of the pix to fill in the shadows.

Pooky only stayed for a couple shots then ran off the couch. lol

Here's one of the best ones I got of him before he left.

Last edited by Catlady711; 01-08-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Beautiful kitty. His eyes match the blanket perfectly. So handsome!!
    What? Only one picture?!?! Come on, don't tease us like that!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That Photo as the Cat Woman would say turned out Purrrfectly , and we cant wait to see more photos from you!!!
    I wish I had something like that as the Found Cat Hotel is not the best lit house on the block, and thereare many times I wish had back lighting!!!
    We cant wait to see more!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I had to delete several because he would move his head blurring it horribly since it was dim lighting.

I was hand holding the camera, balancing on the edge of the couch cushion with my elbow, and using my left hand to simultaneously hold the lens and the edge of the relector but still keep it out of the shot. LOL The fact I got any useable pix is sort of amazing. lol

I'll try getting individual kitty portraits soon so you can see all my furbabies.

If you need something like a silver reflector, you can always use a large piece of stiff cardboard, and cover it with crinkled then straightened alumminum foil. Does the same thing basically.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

WOW! Everything was purfect for that picture, he even made sure the blanket matched his eyes!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

What an exquisite picture of a beautiful kitty!!!! That one is definitely a blue ribbon winner!!!!!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I have bounce reflector called a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce which is a simple piece or white plastic that snaps onto a flash gun. I used to have a bounce reflector but that silvered umbrella was a very clumsy to use. This Omni-Bounce works really well and I never get the space alien eye effect when I photograph the cats or red-eye from people. Also it's a softer flash reducing the harshness when the flash is close to the subject.

Once I got the thing I started noticing them a lot on the news when photographers are crowding around a politician or celebrity.

That's a very nicely lighted picture of Pooky and he's quite handsome.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
    I have bounce reflector called a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce which is a simple piece or white plastic that snaps onto a flash gun. .

I've eyed them in the camera store before.

I haven't gone with them yet because the flashes I use aren't compatible with using ON my camera. I do sometimes use the flash hand held off camera (wireless triggers) but it's usually outside in bright daylight as a fill and I'm afraid the omni-bounce would diffuse and cut the light too much for those conditions, plus I don't have any ceilings or walls to bounce off of.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

How do you decide to use these things? Like, what would it look like w/out the reflector thingy??

I'm so well worded on this, lol. Why exactly are they used, and how?

LOL I'm with you Jenn...How do you know you want or need one? LOL I know! Learn more about photography. That sure is a very nice picture of your kitty!

For those wondering how you would know when you need a reflector (or fill flash), I'll do a set of pix tomorrow showing you the difference in what my new 'toys' do and how they look. Would that be ok??

Hopefully I can get one of the cats to stay in one place long enough to do the shots for that. ROFL

For today however, I have 3 more pix I took playing with the reflectors again. I got some shots of Josh too, but ran out of time to process them.

So here's today's shots.

Pooky again. Only because he was the only one that would stay on the couch in that lighting. ROFL

Bear

I'll be back again tomorrow with more pix.

And I shall be waiting!

Beautiful cat photos. I really like the first one because the eyes match the blanket !!!
    I have that for my flash also and use it sometimes, but mostly just bounce off white ceiling. I may drag out the camera and flash tomorrow and try it again.
    Katz

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

How do you know when you will need a bounce reflector? You'd be surprised that you end up using it frequently.

In close situations, the lighting from a direct flash tends to be a bit harsh. Bouncing the light (or defusing it with a device like the Sto-Fen) softens that light and distributes it evenly on the subject. The pictures above look quite professional with the soft, even lighting. The snap-on diffuser like the Sto-Fen allows you to aim the flash gun directly at the subject without overwhelming the subject with light.

The use of the fill flash outside is to compensate for the uneven lighting by natural sunlight so a subject is more evenly lighted - no shadows. Many professional photographers frequently use the fill flash when shooting close subjects outside.
    Randy

What's the flash gun thing?? Is it attached to the camera?? I'm so lost on this thread, lol!

I love the pictures, they do look like studio prints.