Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I even have virus protection for my pc?

Why do I even have virus protection for my pc?

Somehow I got yet another virus on this thing. I have Trend Micro virus protection right now. I've tried Norton and AVG and still got viruses. I bought this Dell computer two years ago this month and I've had nothing but problems w/it. Plus the Blue Tooth in it keeps causing all sorts of snafus. I have been on the phone w/Dell for up to 4 hours at a time (no exaggeration) and still couldn't get it to run properly. I've had it repaired so many times I've lost count. I lost it for 3 days, got it home and immediately had to send it out again so that means I've been w/out it for nearly a week. The computer guy just left after being here trying to get the Blue Tooth going. My next repair job is going to include a hatchet. I've had it! Rant over.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I feel your pain. I have McAfee, diligently and automatically updated daily.

When my son was home for Christmas break, he downloaded music from Limewire. Guess what ... I now have a virus, or something, that won't let me use wallpaper, and pops up a Windows Explorer error message, right over the top of whatever I'm trying to work on. If I close it another one pops up.

Grrrr .... So be careful of Limewire, folks!

So, it's off to the computer dude on Monday for this beastie.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Basically, you can never be fully protected from viruses. Even Linux, the OS I use, has viruses, although they no longer work on modern machines and no one has found one that does. Heh, and Linux was designed around security and reliability (obviously, they didnt do that in windows). Don't beat yourself because of it, just make sure to avoid websites/programs that look like they could have a virus in them.

RUN YOUR UPDATES!

AVG updates automatically - I have version 8.0 and I set it to scan weekly.

If you install it normally, it will run a scan every day.

Here's Malwarebytes:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Go to the green Download button on the left. Run a scan with it daily. It does not replace a regular antivirus update/scan, but can nail bad ones quickly.

Use this before you send your computer to the shop next time.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've been content so far with my virus scanner, but nothing is perfect and no program can keep up with every virus out there.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I use Avast, free, and Desktop Maestro, not free, and have been mostly virus free. I do get viruses but nothing that requires a major fix. Anytime in the past when I did have a major virus crisis I backed up anything I wanted to keep and started from scratch with a fresh OS install.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I also use Avast and have had far fewer problems with that, than any anti virus I have ever used. A deputy sherriff told me he used it and so did everyone in the department and they never had a problem.. None I have ever had came close to doing what Avast does.. That things updates all day long. I strongly urge you to dump what you have and get that.. I use limewire from time to time and it has caught every virus BEFORE it got to my machine. The best part of it is that it is completely FREE! (just my kind of price!)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Trend Micro runs updates every day automatically and it scans for viruses and malware twice a day. I don't open email that I don't know but I do go on the Internet a lot, admittedly, but usually only to sites that I visit regularly. I guess it's all part of being in the technological age but it sure can be frustrating! Reggie, just reading your info on how to contact you gave me brain freeze. I didn't understand a word of it. LOL Thanx for listening.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Trend Micro runs updates every day automatically and it scans for viruses and malware twice a day. I don't open email that I don't know but I do go on the Internet a lot, admittedly, but usually only to sites that I visit regularly. I guess it's all part of being in the technological age but it sure can be frustrating! Reggie, just reading your info on how to contact you gave me brain freeze. I didn't understand a word of it. LOL Thanx for listening.
    Heh, I do development work, so I generally let people know how to contact me. There has been reports of malicious software using flash as a entrance path into your computer, or so I have heard. Javascript is something known to be a rather large security hole. So is Java and any other client-side software like that. I am security paranoid, 2 dedicated firewalls and a Intrusion Detection/Prevention System to support them. Then there is the embedded firewalls in my network devices, and the Linux firewall.... nearly nothing gets through all that .

Get an Apple computer. We have had iMacs for 10 years now, and have never had a virus.

I know, anything is possible, and one of these days . . . . . . . I'm just saying that for 10 years life has been good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Get an Apple computer. We have had iMacs for 10 years now, and have never had a virus.

I know, anything is possible, and one of these days . . . . . . . I'm just saying that for 10 years life has been good.

That's what my son says. He plans on getting a Mac as his next computer. The one I have is only 2 years old so I'm reluctant to buy a new one right now w/taxes coming up, etc. However, when I do finally buy another one, it'll more than likely be a Mac. Question: I've heard that transferring everything to a Mac is a hassle. True or false?
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    That's what my son says. He plans on getting a Mac as his next computer. The one I have is only 2 years old so I'm reluctant to buy a new one right now w/taxes coming up, etc. However, when I do finally buy another one, it'll more than likely be a Mac. Question: I've heard that transferring everything to a Mac is a hassle. True or false?
    Sorry, I have no idea. We never had any other kind of computer. So all the transferring we've done is from one iMac to another.

Take it from me, who ruined TWO computers with a virus. Well actually it wasn't *really* my fault as I never downloaded anything/or went on any bad sites that I know of. My brother has had his Apple for 2 years now virus free. From my experience, DELLS ARE CRAP! I have one currently, and will never ever ever buy one again. Macs may be more expensive but in the long run they are better then these pieces of s***. I have a dell laptop that can't come off the desk, so there's no point in this laptop anymore.

I have had it with Norton & McAfee.. I only use WebRoot now.. It goes deep into the computer for updates & cleanups on viruses..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I never had a virus here at home (knock on wood). Of course I update my virus scanner daily. I think the basic reason is I only go to a handful of websites- like PT, my bank, my e-mail account, some very serious magazines, wikipedia etc.
    People who download from non-serious sites are in much bigger danger. Or people who believe it when something pops up telling you you win or can download cute emoticons or whatever.