Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I might get a job at GoodYear, but I'm not sure.

I might get a job at GoodYear, but I'm not sure.

So...yea..I don't really know for sure...but it's possible... My dad has worked there for about 30 years now. He brought home an application for me the other day (they're hiring) and I filled it out and he carried it back Sunday night. I mean I really highly doubt they'll even consider hiring me...cause I've never had any kind of experience doing any kind of work like that, but the lady who does the hiring talked to my dad and asked him some things about me..so maybe she's thinking about it? Who knows... I kinda think it would be cool if I worked there, but I dunno..it's pretty hard work involved. I've been trying to find something though...I work at Chickfila right now and my boss doesn't give me enough hours! I have a car that needs worked on right now and I don't have the money to get it done. If I had more $$$ (more hours) then I could... I'm really comfortable w/ Chickfila. It doesn't feel so so much like work-it feels more like school...I go and hang out w/ my friends till time to leave. I mean ofcourse it's work but still...I enjoy it (sometimes) and I'm not so sure I want to quit working there...but I guess I'd be pretty crazy if I were to maybe get a job at Goodyear and didn't take it, huh???? Plus I do need more money which I am not getting where I'm at now... Well I don't know ;/ I just wanted to share this w/ ya'll... Who knows...they might now even call me from Goodyear. If they don't then I guess I'll still be searching for a better paying job if things stay the same at Chickfila ;/
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I had a job just fall in my lap one time, not sure I wanted it or could do the job but I ended up keeping that job for 21 years. Sometime, life surprises you and how things work out....

Who knows, the Goodyear job might not be the one so you hang in there at Chickfila and end up the manager there one day... You just never know.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I don't know if you live near the Decatur or the Gadsden plant , but I see where they are investing, in plant upgrades, at the Gadsden plant for producing some of their high profit tires. Because of lawsuits at Goodyear concerning pay, for female employees, it looks like you can get a good paying job, if you get an offer. If you do get an offer you need to go for it. You are very limited at chickfila for future advancement.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My 2 cents worth for what it's worth - after many years in the work force.

No offense intended, but your job with Chick sounds like a typical job for school kids looking for a little money, or even for retirees looking to supplement their retirement pay. Of course there are some possibilities for advancement, but they are usually few and far between.

It sounds like a job with Goodyear would be with good pay, and the way the economy is right now, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at the potential that would be available there. The work will definitely be something that you are not used to, but remember, that the good jobs aren't ones that make you feel like you're still in school and hanging out with your friends.

Best of luck to you, regardless if the Goodyear job pans out or not. If not, then just keep looking. You'll find a good job, or it will find you, when you least expect it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Go to school. Go to school. Go to school. These jobs you are looking at are probably not life time careers.

School, especially college, isn't for everyone. Trust me. And it has nothing to do with intelligence.

A career job at Goodyear could open up a lot of doors, go for it!
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Statistically speaking, education wins out over a career at a fast food restaurant or in a position that she is speaking of.

I would much rather a young lady prepare for the future with an education than hope that doors are opened for her some how at goodyear.

It all depends on how you define education, and I'll let it be with that comment.

BTW, young lady? So education isn't for males, just women?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    It all depends on how you define education, and I'll let it be with that comment.

Aren't you overlooking business schools, or schools that offer tech
    training for a 2yr degree in many trades?.You are right that everyone
    should not go for a 4yr college degree, but there are other options available.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Isn't genny a girl? My apologies if she is not. I presumed that based on her name and some other things she said about some boys in her life!
    She was the OP, and my comments were directed to her. Like I mentioned fast food and good year...kind of making it specific?

Trust me. Plenty of men need an education. Plenty.

Hey ya'll, thanks for your input on everything! They haven't called (Goodyear) and I've been talking w/ my dad about it and even though it's a very well paying job I'm not 100% sure I wanna do it (even if they do call) which I doubt they will ;/ I just don't know if I could do the work unless they gave me an easy job that doesn't require lifting heavy HEAVY things, cause *yea, I am a girl* ;] lol and I'm only 105 pounds!!!

I really have thought about going to school....and I want to....but I don't know...it just seems and sounds hard. My mom tells me that I can do it and that I'd be glad I did it once I'm done and have a good job. She really wants me to go to college. I just don't know if I want to. I need to figure something out though. I've gotta either go to school or get a beter job for now. I can't keep working and not make anymore than I do. I'm glad I still live at home, cause if I was living on my own there's no way I'd be able to make it. I just need $$ to be able to put back and safe for the future incase I need anything or ever decide to move out (which I don't plan to until I get married) but still...it's nice to know you've got it, you know?

Oh well, we'll see
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Is it possible to go to school and work a job even if part time? That's what my son did.

A friend of mine was hired here at Goodyear a couple of years ago but she's being laid off permanently on Feb. 1. She's in management, though.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Is it possible to go to school and work a job even if part time? That's what my son did.

A friend of mine was hired here at Goodyear a couple of years ago but she's being laid off permanently on Feb. 1. She's in management, though.

I'm sorry about your friend. That's tough. my dad has been laid off several times. It's never any fun ;/

I'm sure I could probably do that. I could probably even stay at Chickfila and do that. They are pretty good at working around your schedule (sometimes)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    You sound like you have talked yourself out of working for Goodyear even if they do want to hire you.

Do you know what kind of job it is, or are you just assuming it would involve heavy lifting? At least if they call you, you should go for the interview to get more info.

And there are many schooling options other than a 2 or 4 year school. I see tech schools advertising all the time on t.v. There's a lot - especially in the medical field: medical office, massage therapy, pharmacy technician, etc.

Sure - college or advanced schooling is "hard", but you have to want to better yourself. If you want an "easy" job, then you should probably stay where you are now, and the longer you wait to go to school or get a better job, the harder it will be.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Well..ok..guess what? My mom's friend is a Pharnacist and he needs more help. He told my mom he'd hire me to work for him full-time 9-5 Mon-Fri and 9-5 every other Saturday and I'd be off every Sunday. He would pay me $8 an hour. but...he needs me to know by the end of this week. He said if I don't take it he's got to hire someone else. Would I be crazy not to take it? Would you do that? Or do you think I'd be better off to stay at Chickfila and go to school for 2 years to be an X-ray tech?