Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2009

Two things about this Angel's pitcher that was killed early today.

Nick Adenhart's agent is Scott Boras, a scummy money hungry SOB that always holds teams ransom when a player's contract get renegotiated. He showed up at the press conference and did a great little talk, complete with alligator tears.

He's probably more broken up about the fact that he'll lose the money that this poor kid would have made had he not been involved in the accident.

Then, listening to the local ESPN affiliates they have been very outspoken about the accident. They mention everything except the fact that the kid that killed NA was a drunk, driving on a suspended license.

I wonder if there is a little problem with telling the story and mentioning alcohol, when sports has a very real relationship with it, especially beer.

Mike Ilitch - class act

The Tigers and Red Wings owner is one classy guy.

Detroit Three find hope in centerfield

BY MITCH ALBOM
    FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

When the Tigers open their season this week, fans will look to centerfield at Comerica Park and see the greenery, the flagpoles and the giant fountain. And, as usual, every time there's a Detroit home run, those fountains will erupt.

That spot, in the stadium business, is what they call prime real estate. Companies pay big money to have their logo smack dab in the middle, so that every time fans gaze out there, the brand is what they see.

For the last few years, General Motors has sponsored that fountain, and paid a substantial fee to do so. This season, with all that has happened in the auto business, GM's folks called the Tigers and said, regretfully, they could no longer afford it. Given the layoffs, the bailouts, the threat of bankruptcy, well, owning centerfield was too great a luxury.

GM had to step aside.

Which is when Mike Ilitch, the Tigers' owner, stepped in.

There were other bidders. Other offers. Who wouldn't want that real estate? A deal of three years worth between $1.5 million and $2 million was on the table.

Ilitch said no thanks.

He was going to give it away.

Or maybe "give it back" is a better way of putting it.

Chalk up an outfield assist

"It just seems strange to have the car companies in trouble," he told me this past week. "The Big Three, where would this city be without them? I mean, my father came from the old country and got a job at Ford's. It put food on our table.

"It's scary to think that any of those carmakers could go away."

So Ilitch told his people to thank the potential paying customers, but to say that the centerfield fountain this year was spoken for. It would be the feature site for General Motors, Ford and Chrysler.

For free.

No charge.

Not one penny.

"It's just a small opportunity to respond to what's happening," Ilitch said, embarrassed by the attention.

There's nothing small about it.

Every business has been affected by the collapsing economy; baseball teams are no exception. Walking away from a couple million dollars is not considered a wise financial move. Who turns away paying customers?

In this case, Ilitch did.

Because sometimes it's about the where and the who, not just the how much.

A message from the ballclub

"I thought for a few weeks before deciding," Ilitch admitted. "I didn't want to offend anybody. I didn't want to put off the foreign carmakers. And I didn't want people to think we couldn't sell the fountain. As a businessman, you do worry about those things.

"But I finally said, 'The heck with it.' I want to do something to help."

So starting with the home opener this Friday afternoon, the Chrysler, General Motors and Ford logos will be on an equal plane above the fountain. And beneath those logos will be a few new words:

"The Detroit Tigers support our automakers."

It may be as close to a social statement as centerfield has ever made.

Visitors in Detroit for this weekend's Final Four may think our small, thriving downtown looks a lot like other cities' downtowns. But there is something different beneath the surface.

Here, we construct in the face of adversity. We build on hope. Pure investors will tell you a city with rampant unemployment, enormous budget shortfalls, a troubled school system and a laughable city council is not a place to put your money. We do it anyhow.

We do it because we love our past and we believe in our future. We do it because the alternative would be to close shop altogether. We do it because last week there were stories about the gleaming new Yankee Stadium, which cost $1.5 billion and has seats as high as $2,625 a game -- and here is Ilitch giving away his fountain for free.

Detroit may be the new home of the bumpy ride, but as the Three Musketeers once discovered, it's a little smoother when you grab hands with others. Think about that the next time a home run sends that fountain shooting up to those logos. Sometimes it really is all for one and one for all.

Contact MITCH ALBOM: 313-223-4581 or [email protected]. Catch "The Mitch Albom Show" 5-7 p.m. weekdays on WJR-AM (760).

source

Goodbye Harry Kalas.

Even though your chops we made in baseball, you were great on the NFL highlight films.

You rocked dude! RIP..
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Mark Fidrych - RIP

Mark - The Bird - Fidrych, died in an accident at his home this afternoon. He was only 54 - far too young.

From the Boston Globe -

Fidrych killed in accident
    Posted by Chad Finn, Globe Staff April 13, 2009 05:42 PM

Mark Fidrych, a Northborough native whose aw-shucks charm and on-the-mound antics helped make him a national phenomenon as a Detroit Tigers rookie pitcher in 1976, was killed in an accident in his hometown this afternoon while working on a dump truck. He was 54.

Fidrych, who won 19 games as a rookie before injuries derailed his career, was found dead on his 107-acre farm this afternoon, according to the office of Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. Fidrych was found by a family friend underneath the truck at about 2:30 p.m.

Fidrych was found by his friend Joseph Amorello beneath his 10-wheel truck at about 2:30 p.m. Fidrych, who worked in trucking and construction, had a job scheduled for yesterday morning, but the site wasn’t ready, so he returned home. Later in the day, Amorello, for whom Fidrych did some work, stopped by Fidrych’s home to say hello and discuss a future job, only to encounter a horrific scene.

Neither the district attorney’s office nor the Northborough Police Department would confirm further details of the accident beyond that he was killed while working on his truck. Reached via cell phone last night, Amorello said, ‘‘It was obvious there was nothing I could do at that time.’’

Fidrych’s baseball legacy is as one of the more enjoyable shooting stars in the sport’s history. In 1976 -- less than two full years after the Tigers selected the lanky righthander in the 10th round of the 1974 amateur draft out of Worcester Academy -- Fidrych made the Tigers’ Opening Day roster out of spring training as a non-roster invitee.

His first start of his rookie season did not come until May 15, but it was memorable: He did not allow the Indians a hit for the first six innings, finishing with a complete-game, two-hit, 2-1 victory.

Fidrych was on his way, and with his affable grin and unkempt curls -- he was nicknamed ‘‘The Bird,’’ after the Sesame Street character to whom he bore a resemblance -- it wasn’t long before the 21-year-old had an enormous following.

His unofficial star-making moment came June 28 against the New York Yankees. In a nationally televised game on ABC’s ‘‘Monday Night Baseball’’ and in front of a crowd of 47,855 at Tiger Stadium, Fidrych pitched a complete-game seven-hitter, allowing just one run in the Tigers’ 5-1 victory. Strutting around the mound, talking to the baseball, and engaging the crowd, he received a prolonged ovation after the final out, eventually returning to the field to acknowledge the raucous cheers.

Fidrych’s starts became must-see events -- he appeared on the covers of ‘‘Sports Illustrated’’ (once with Big Bird) and ‘‘Rolling Stone,’’ among others. But his unexpected celebrity did not hinder him on the mound. He went 19-7 as a rookie, leading the league in earned-run average (2.34) and complete games (24). He was the starting pitcher for the American League in the All-Star Game, won the AL Rookie of the Year Award, and finished second to the Orioles’ Jim Palmer in the AL Cy Young voting.

But he tore knee cartilage during spring training the following year and was placed on the disabled list until May 24. He sustained a shoulder injury in July 1977 and ended up pitching in just 58 games during his major league career.

Fidrych attempted a comeback in 1983 with the Boston Red Sox and went to their Triple A team in Pawtucket, R.I. But he never pitched in the majors after 1980 and retired in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Mark - The Bird - Fidrych, died in an accident at his home this afternoon. He was only 54 - far too young.

From the Boston Globe -
    Really, WTF is going on? I don't remember this many people from the sporting world dying in such a short time.

Yahoo! The Pirates won their home opener! What was more touching was the tribute to our three fallen police officers before the game. I don't think there was a dry eye in the park including the Houston Astros.

Tim Wakefield, age 42, pitched a gem for Boston yesterday.

Complete game - 111 pitches, with 76 of them strikes.

Tim Wakefield, age 42, pitched a gem for Boston yesterday.

Complete game - 111 pitches, with 76 of them strikes.

Dodger Castoff......I cannot believe how stupid LA is.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Dodger Castoff......I cannot believe how stupid LA is.
    But that was 15 years ago, Richard.

But that was 15 years ago, Richard.
    When it comes to bb, I live in the glorious past!

Following right behind Wakefield's stellar 111 pitches on Wednesday - the Yankee pitchers, as a group, threw 236 yesterday in their 22 - 4 loss to the Indians.

Those poor fans - paid as much as $11 per pitch to see that debacle!!

The White Sox have won two in a row... The Cubs have won two in a row. Tonight's Cubs/Cardinals game has been rained out. It has rained all day long. If Chicago does get the Olympics, I hope there will be an enclosed stadium built. You never know with the weather anymore.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Go buccos!

Last night the Pirates defeated the Florida Marlins, a team with the best record in the majors. Ross Ohlendorf pitched a brilliant 2-hitter in blanking the Marlins 8-0. This put the Pirates over the .500 mark now. Also Nate McLouth put another home run into the Allegheny river!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    If Chicago does get the Olympics, I hope there will be an enclosed stadium built. You never know with the weather anymore.
    I'd love to go!

Dang, there has been come great BB this week!!!!

Go Team!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

Dang, there has been come great BB this week!!!!
    You can say that again.

The Red Sox have beaten the Yankees 2 days in a row!!