Thread: Mini Blinds in Danger

Mini Blinds in Danger

I live in an apartment and my little boy kitty, Scutter, can't stay away from the mini blinds. He's already torn one set. I think I can fix it so I won't lose deposit money over it. What about the others though? I open the blinds during the day so he can't reach them and I have to loop the cords around the top blind and tuck the "stick" under some blinds so it doesn't dangle and provide something to grab. Is there anything I can spray on the blinds or the windowsills? I have a large sliding glass door with vertical blinds which are ok and a huge window in my dining room where I keep the blinds open all the time. I just can't feel safe in my bedroom with the blinds up all the time. I tried putting a little vinegar in the sill but it didn't help. Keeps him off the kitchen counter but not the window sills. I'll try foil, that has kept him off my dresser. Looks awful but saves furniture and jewelry.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks guys!

Dj, Brie and Scutter

Well unless your apt. has specific rules on what kind of mini blinds, I'd just get a stock pile of the $5 ones from Lowes and just replace the ones that get ruined.

I have the same problem here at home, from the sliding door verticals being fine, to cords tied up and sticks removed. I feel your pain there.

I never have figured out a way of keeping the cats out of the blinds. My RB cat Dusty rarely ever bothered then, she'd just nudge them out of the way and go behind them, all the rest either play with them or plow right through them. *sigh*

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I use shades, not blinds. Just what I grew up with, what I am used to. Haven't had a problem here -- knock on wood.

And if this jinxes it, I'll send you the bills for replacement!

Same problem. No answer here. I have the vertical blinds on my sliding door too and the cats love to play in them. My brother has blinds on his windows and Max has gone throught at least one of those. Max will also jingle the blinds so they make a noise and get my brother up in the morning.

I'm sorry I have no ideas for the protection of your blinds, but you reminded me of this wonderful old thread, and I hope you don't mind me posting a link to let you see it.

Attack of the Mini-Blinds

Killearn Kitties,
    Thanks for that link. I had so much fun reading that. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on this. My old RB Tonkinese kittie never really cared to PLAY with the blinds. She just got up in the sill behind them to look outside. My Lynx Point Siamese doesn't really care except to move them out of the way to look outside. My yellow tabby boy...he goes off into some sort of obsessive trance...spray bottle doesn't work, noisemaker doesn't work, meowmie pushing him down doesn't work, it's like he's on springs he just bounces off the floor right back up to the blinds. When he hears me coming he might jump down and dart under the bed to avoid the spray bottle but usually he just keeps chewing/clawing. That boy! His middle name is Jihad and his nickname is Gozer (as in Gozer the Gozerian...The Destructor....from Ghostbusters). There's a reason for those names.

Thanks to everybody for letting me know it's not just me. I've just been lucky that 2 out of 3 cats haven't cared so much.

Hugs!
    Dj, Brie and Scutter (a.k.a. Gozer)