Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, Decker is peeing blood! UPDATE #38 - He's sick again!

Help, Decker is peeing blood! UPDATE #38 - He's sick again!

I noticed a little red tinted pee when I cleaned the boxes last night but had no clue who it was. I checked this morning and saw no signs of blood in the boxes but about an hour ago I noticed Decker run from the litter box, drop and start licking himself. I've been watching him and he has come from the litterboxes several times and started licking and I just found drops of red stained urine in two or three boxes. I did see a larger pee with some drops of red so he did urinate - not blocked. He seems okay except for licking himself and he is eating and drinking okay. Do you think I can wait until morning to take him to the vet? I don't think he is blocked, at least not yet.

We do have an emergency vet here but I haven't heard great things about them. I'd much rather wait to take him to my vet in the morning. Of course if he gets worse I'll take him anyway.

I pray my vet can take us in the morning because I have to drive down to my Dad's to take him the dr. at 2 tomorrow. Why couldn't I have noticed this earlier today.
    Last edited by jazzcat; 12-15-2008 at 05:03 PM.

From Decker with Love

Can you call your regular vet and explain what's going on to him or her, tell them you'd rather see them in the morning, and see what your regular vet thinks?

Many of them can be reached after hours for emergencies at least for a phone consult.

Quote Originally Posted by catwhispers View Post
    Can you call your regular vet and explain what's going on to him or her, tell them you'd rather see them in the morning, and see what your regular vet thinks?

Many of them can be reached after hours for emergencies at least for a phone consult.
    No, after hours my vet has a recording telling you of office hours and to call the emergency vet if it's an emergency.

Edit: I called my vet's office to get the emergency vet number and it automatically rolled over to the emergency vet. They told me where they were located and that it's $75 to bring him in and then any treatment was additional. At least I know now in case we have to go.

From Decker with Love

If it were me, I'd be at the vet's with Decker the moment they open in the morning. I wouldn't wait for them to open, and call first, I would just BE there.

They can hold him there in a cage, get a pee sample, take him when they have an opening, and you can go to get your dad. They can call you when they know something.

Can you keep him in a room alone over night? I wouldn't be able to do that with any here, so I understand if not possible.

Poor Decker If he isn't in any pain or discomfort it might be best to bring him to the vet you know and trust. Please know that prayers are being prayed that the problem is nothing serious and Decker will be as good as new in no time. Please keep us updated? Feel better scritchies are being sent for your sweetie
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Blockage is the first thing I thought but since you said he's urinating ok, maybe he just has a UTI. I hope he'll be ok! Thinking of you...

Hoping for the best and praying things won't be too serious.
    Help support ferals

Sounds like he's got cystitis, like Pouncer. It could be from crystals or just stress and irritation. I think if you've seen him pee, you can wait til morning. Its when they don't pee at all that it becomes life threatening.

Poor little guy. Many paws crossed that its nothing major for him.

Oh Lori, I am sorry to hear that Decker is not well. I agree though with the others, that since he IS peeing, that it could wait until morning.

Prayers that it isn't anything serious and will get treated quickly for his problem.

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} for the worried meowmie.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    If it were me, I'd be at the vet's with Decker the moment they open in the morning. I wouldn't wait for them to open, and call first, I would just BE there.

Not always a good idea to do that depending on the vet and how the office operates.

If the vet(s) should happen to be later coming in than office opening hours the poor kitty may be waiting in a cage for some time. Depending on what staff is available at opening time, there may not be a vet or tech there capable of handling an emergency should one arise.

At our hospital it's not uncommon for the office to open an hour or so earlier (and stay open later) than the vets are in so that people can call for appts, pick up refills and such longer than what the vets are available. Sometimes only the reception staff and maybe an assistant or two (not techs) would be on staff at the time, neither of which would be able to treat in an emergency.

I'd highly recommend calling first thing in the morning to see if it's ok to bring the cat in as a drop off, get an appt. or get worked in as an ER visit as they have time.

As long as the cat is going you would probably be ok waiting until morning if the cat is acting fine otherwise. If the cat should stop eating/drinking/playing, or be unable to go at all then a trip to the ER vet is in order.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I've never experienced this w/males, only Puddy, my calico. Having had bladder infections myself, I can tell you that they're miserable and painful. My vet has told me that if I have an emergency just to come in. Call first and let them know I'm coming but just come in. Do you have any left over pain meds and/or antibiotics that you can give Decker until he can go in tomorrow? I sure hope that he isn't blocked. Prayers going up that all will be well.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Just a quick update. Decker is doing okay but I haven't seen another pee biscuit since about 6 pm. He is dribbling red urine in the box. Some is coming out but no large amount, of course he goes often so that may be why. Other than that he seems okay and he ate all his dinner (and some of Scouts). He's staying quiet and sleeping in my lap. I sure hope waiting till morning is the right thing to do. I will call the vet as soon as they open. I'm sure they will tell me to bring him in a leave him which I'll have to do since tomorrow is my day with Dad and he has an appointment. Richard already said he would pick Decker up by 5:30 if he can come home tomorrow.

Please keep my blue boy in your prayers.

From Decker with Love

Lori, I'm so sorry to hear about Decker. Hopefully it's nothing serious. It sounds like it could be a UTI. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated about him.

Lori, I am so sorry about Decker

If this helps, the same thing happened to Susie, she started peeing and it had a dark orange tint, but the next day it had "swirls" of blood in the pee. She always urinates OUTSIDE the box, so I saw it immediately. I took her into the vet, and with baytril she was just fine. I pray that is all Decker needs.

Please keep us updated!

*HUGS* to Decker and his worried Meowmie

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I would head to the vet asap!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge