Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Hit By Car Needs New Home Now - State College

Cat Hit By Car Needs New Home Now - State College

I know we are all pretty much packed full with kitties but if anyone has room for this special girl or knows someone who might be able to take her in...please forward.

I found this ad this morning on statecollege.com and frankly I think it's not fair that your cat gets hit by a car and you now want to give her away but it's not my place to say. I'm just cross posting in hopes that this girl can get a great home.

I did e-mail the person that placed this ad and well first here is the ad.

Please help! Beautiful & very loving 7 year old house cat who was hit by a car needs a home. Has some loss of her bladder control now so she most likely needs to be outside (farm?). She is very friendly & socialized. Call 360-6860

Here is the e-mail I sent to them:

How long ago was this cat hit by a car? Has she been fixed? FIV/FELV combo tested? May I ask why she needs to have a new home if she just has some loss of her bladder?

Thanks,
    Melissa

This is the reply I got:

She was hit 2 months ago. I need to find an outside home because she doesnt control her pee. FIV/FELV no idea what that is.

So I sent them this e-mail:

Has she been to the vets since she was hit by a car? Does she go to the vets for annual shots and check ups? Is she spayed?

Would you be willing to have her FIV/FELV combo tested if someone was willing to adopt her?

Do you have a picture of her? I personally cannot take her in but I know of a pet website where someone might be willing to take her in since she is special needs.

Thank you,
    Melissa

I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything else.

I just got this e-mail from her/him.

yes been to vets. I do all her shots. she is spayed. still has front claws. will send a pic later. what is fiv/felv?

I sent one back with information on FIV/FELV and her name is Sassy. I've attached 2 pictures of her. If anyone is willing to take her in I'd help with driving her to you.

Ok here is another one I just got back from them:

she has always been an indoor cat. Once in a while she sneaks out and that's how she got hit. No fiv test that I can remember. not really into spending anymore on her. vet bill over $700 when she got hit. She's a good and healthy cat who loves attention. Breaks my heart, she's my roomie, but I can't have the pee all over.

I just sent this person this one:

I understand that you can't have pee all over the place, I'm not trying to judge you, I'm just trying to help. Have you tried to contact Paws? Here is another website that I would suggest posting a story about her on because she might be able to find a good home there.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/

I went ahead and posted a thing up for Sassy on this pet talk website hopefully maybe someone there will be willing to take her in. Since you say that she's always been an indoor cat I would suggest revising your statecollege.com ad because putting her on a farm might just lead to another car accident or her running away from there. Some people purchase diapers for cats that have bladder problems like hers. Does she try to use the litter box at all or does she just pee because she can't help it?

Here is a link to the petdiapers website if you find someone to take her in and they want to use diapers...she might not like them but maybe you could find someone who has wood floors or something so the pee could be cleaned up easier than on carpets.

http://www.petdiapers.com/

Melissa

Ok just got this one back from Billy:

Thank you SO much. I doubt she'd run away. She usually stays close to home when she gets out. I've had 3 different homes in last few years and when she sneaks out she always stays close to house. Unfortunately my new home is close to a road. I think she chased something out to the road. she always went out back. (i'm in the country so out back is all woods.) PAWS was no help, they are overloaded with "normal" cats. She tries to use the litter, mostly for #2. once in a while I'll see pee right next to it.
    Billy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sassy1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	41059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sassy.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	41060  
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 12-08-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    What a beautiful cat - and what a shame her owner chooses to desert her now that she needs his love and extra care. I suppose that's too much trouble for him now that he might have to actually take some time with her. Obviously it's just another possession to him, and now that it's broken, he doesn't want it anymore.

I certainly hope that someone can take her and give her a loving home. I would if I could, but with 2 dogs and 2 cats, that's the limit here. At least I can give her my prayers that she will find a new loving home and someone to care for her as long as she needs it.

Please keep us posted if you hear any more about her.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Grrrrr! What a heartbreaker!! If I didn't have so many I'd take her. Poor baby girl. Thank you for trying to help her, Melissa! It's hard to talk nice to someone like that when you want to strangle them. At least they are trying to rehome her and not just put her out. I hope Sassy finds a loving home. Keep us posted!

Mary

I just want to make sure that Sassy DOES "pee all over the place". Pee outside the litter box might be called "all over the place" bu some folks.

I wish the owner would try the diaper idea.

Prayers that she gets a great furrever home where she won't be an "inconvenience"!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

What a jerk. He doesn't want to spend any more on her. How thoughtful of him. Wonder if he'd feel that way if it were him in that position and his insurance decided the same thing. "Gee... he's just a pain in the butt now, and will cost too much to maintain, we're just going to stop paying for his medical costs now."

That's what should happen to him.

Hope he doesn't have any other pets. Or kids.

If I had room or the ability to care for a cat with incontinence issues, I'd go get her, and smack him upside the head (and groin) on my way out.

Tell him to visit Pet Talk so he can see what people think of his heartlessness. He needs a wake up call.

WooHoo, Jen! You tell 'em!

AMEN!!

I'm going to be e-mailing him back or her back and asking if she only pees outside the litter because why couldn't he just put some puppy pee pads down so that way the pee doesn't get onto the floor. That might help.

I'll let you all know if I hear anything else.

Thanks, Anikaca - I hope it is just around the box, and that the pee pads will do the job. (Hopefully you can tell the owner that MANY cat owners use them! )

I do hope they come to their senses - maybe it's just the shock of the injury and the expense, and they aren't thinking clearly.

Thanks for helping this kitty!

What a beautiful baby. I wish I had the room, but wth 13 (1 a tri-pod, 1 a CH) and 1 on the way (14 total) we are over filled. I hope this person reconciders or a good harted person can find space in thier home.
    GILL & Crew;

I just got this e-mail from them after I sent them the message last night about where exactly does Sassy pee.

Unfortunately she pees everywhere, many times where and when she is just laying. Like I said, no control. I just kinda leaks out. I only realized this after I lifted the blanket I had covering the couch for her. ugg. not good. Thanks for you help and DO keep in touch.
    Much appreciated. I really don't want to put her down. The vet said she won't get worse, basically it is what it is and that's what it will be is what he said. By the way, Metzgers is where I took her. I will be posting to that website asap.
    Thanks again,
    Billy

Would they not try the diapers on her?

anyway, I hope she finds a great home.

I'll ask but I was hoping since I sent them the e-mail and link to the diapers that they would try them.

I hope she does too....it's so sad that you will put $700 into a cat and then want to get rid of her because she was hit by a car....hate to think what will happen if this person has kids...would they do the same....

I just sent this e-mail to Billy:

Billy,

I know you said you weren't interested in paying out more money but would it be possible for you to try these diapers for her and maybe that would prevent her from peeing all over the place. Here is a link. I'm just thinking that maybe if we could help her to use these diapers then maybe you could still keep her.

http://handicappedpets.com/www/pet-h...lly-bands.html

I hope this helps.
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Would they not try the diapers on her?

anyway, I hope she finds a great home.

While I agree that the cat's owner didn't think things through well when he thought she would do well in a barn home after being an indoor cat all her life, I don't think he should be criticized for not wanting to try caring for a diaper cat. I have disabled cats, I have sick cats, I foster hospice cats, so I'm well used to cats that need a great deal of care but I couldn't have a cat with diapers because I am away from home for 12 hours a day. Surely diapers have to be changed more often than this in order to prevent ammonia scalding and skin problems? My own Nougat has suddenly gone into acute renal failure and at the moment is peeing only inches away from where she is lying, even though she can move around well when she wants to. I spent a restless night under a comforter covered with both plastic and rubber sheets with polyfleece throws on top where she could pee (and poop as it turned out), and I knew what I would wake up to deal with. What I didn't expect was that she would pee on the edge of the comforter near my face so I woke to turn my head straight into pee soaked fabric. This kind of thing is not easy to live with. I'm not going to try diapers on her tonight because she urinates so often that I don't want a sodden diaper sitting next to her skin for several hours.

Or do they make diapers that are capable of wicking away a large amount of pee so it doesn't sit at the skin level?

Hi Lizzie,

I'm not trying to criticize this person, I'm just trying to help them find a home for their cat. I just don't think a home a barn would be a great home for her if she is used to being an indoor cat.

That's my personal thought anyway. If she found a barn where people took care of her and would keep her warm during the winter and she loved it that's one thing but I just worry that she won't adapt or like living outside although I do understand why they might want to pick a farm so she can pee where ever and it doesn't matter...

You brought up a very good point about diapers having to be changed often..I knew that but I guess I didn't really think about that too much.

I just know that if it was one of my kids that accidently escaped I would do what I had to as long as she/he was in no pain then I would probably have a room just set aside for that cat and make sure it was pee proof some how.

When my one cat RC who passed away back in 2000 couldn't make it to the litter box before peeing and pooping everywhere I would keep a tablecloth on the floor and I'd usualy end up tossing one out every so often but it worked and kept the pee off of my parents carpet.

I just was hoping maybe someone would have an extra room or someplace they would be able to care for her. I'd love to but with 8 cats in a one bedroom place I just can't.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    While I agree that the cat's owner didn't think things through well when he thought she would do well in a barn home after being an indoor cat all her life, I don't think he should be criticized for not wanting to try caring for a diaper cat. I have disabled cats, I have sick cats, I foster hospice cats, so I'm well used to cats that need a great deal of care but I couldn't have a cat with diapers because I am away from home for 12 hours a day. Surely diapers have to be changed more often than this in order to prevent ammonia scalding and skin problems? My own Nougat has suddenly gone into acute renal failure and at the moment is peeing only inches away from where she is lying, even though she can move around well when she wants to. I spent a restless night under a comforter covered with both plastic and rubber sheets with polyfleece throws on top where she could pee (and poop as it turned out), and I knew what I would wake up to deal with. What I didn't expect was that she would pee on the edge of the comforter near my face so I woke to turn my head straight into pee soaked fabric. This kind of thing is not easy to live with. I'm not going to try diapers on her tonight because she urinates so often that I don't want a sodden diaper sitting next to her skin for several hours.

Or do they make diapers that are capable of wicking away a large amount of pee so it doesn't sit at the skin level?