Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thursday #294 - For our Richard

Thursday #294 - For our Richard

The Bar is now open and this week it will be in Richard's honor.

Our excellent bartender has had to face the loss of his dear Mother this week. Many of us have suffered the loss of a parent this year so you will understand.

Richard, come on over here - sit on the sofa. We got Orc to light a warm fire in the fireplace for you. Put your feet up too!

Now tell us some stories about your Mom. We loved the Mr. and Mrs. Apple story - so you must have hundreds more to share with us.

Drinks? No, Richard sit back down - we will do the serving and clean up this week - not to worry. Everyone help themselves to whatever you would like - coffee is made - tea is brewing.

We just wanted to crowd around you today and offer our support in your loss. If you need to be by yourself for a while - we understand that too.

Just know you are well loved.

(a box of Kleenex is on the bar).

I've got a good pot of hot chocolate with plenty of cinnamon, another pot of chai and blueberry tea all ready. Richard, your choice. And I can leave the cinnamon out of the hot chocolate, too if you want.

My Jewish neighbor whom I didn't know very well presented me with a round loaf of Challah bread the day of my mom's funeral - she said it is traditional to eat something round after a funeral, to represent the circle of life. So a round coffee ring is also here for you - a Swedish take on a Jewish tradition?

Ill raise my next jar to RICHARDs mom, elbow high.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I'd like to sit and listen, I'll have some of Karen's cocoa with a shot of peppermint snaps.

I will toast to you Angelita, you raised your children and have done your duty, its time for you to rest now. You are missed by your son, we will sit by if he needs us, rest and don't worry about him.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    The Bar is now open and this week it will be in Richard's honor.

Our excellent bartender has had to face the loss of his dear Mother this week. Many of us have suffered the loss of a parent this year so you will understand.

Richard, come on over here - sit on the sofa. We got Orc to light a warm fire in the fireplace for you. Put your feet up too!

Now tell us some stories about your Mom. We loved the Mr. and Mrs. Apple story - so you must have hundreds more to share with us.

Drinks? No, Richard sit back down - we will do the serving and clean up this week - not to worry. Everyone help themselves to whatever you would like - coffee is made - tea is brewing.

We just wanted to crowd around you today and offer our support in your loss. If you need to be by yourself for a while - we understand that too.

Just know you are well loved.

(a box of Kleenex is on the bar).

I second this. *HUGS* to you RICHARD

Here, Richard ~

I've got a spare shoulder ... lean over here an let the tears flow.
    Maybe we can swap Mom Tails ... both of our Moms led pretty full and interesting lives.

Did you ever take your Mom to see the Fireworks on the 4th of July?
    Cinder, Smokey, and I were visiting Mom on the day Upper St Clair was going to
    shoot off a big community display. I asked Mom if she'd like to go ...
    Even though she was almost blind, she thought it would be fun to go.
    We signed out of the Village and all piled into da Bus ... Me, Mom, and the two
    unsuspecting Dawgs. We parked among Thousands at the South Hills Village Mall
    and aimed the bus towards the hillside south of the Center.

Darkness came, the Mall killed most of the parking lot lights, and the Show started.
    Mom had a blast - "Ooohin and Awwwwin" with each aerial ...
    while the back-seat crowd closed their eyes and huddled together with the
    occasional *whiiine or whimper* if a really 'loud one' went off.

OK Richard - your turn.

Oh, the Extra Glass? ~~~ That one's for Your Mom ... I'll bet she joins us.

BIG {{{Hugs}}}, Bud!

Who knows how to make a Grasshopper?

When I was 8 or 9 Granny Mo made my older brother and I a couple of Grasshoppers to get us to go to sleep. We slept and we slept good that night. To this day I have no idea how to make a Grasshopper other then the Creme de Menthe.

[WHITEPOST]Menth Menthe Meanth however its spelled[/WHITEPOST]

[WHITEPOST]This is alot more fun when the Whiteposts are actually White Posts.[/WHITEPOST]
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Thanks guys, I had to stop in and start the thursday thread, I saw it was started and decided to go look around first.

YOU guys Rock!

Phred,
    My mom was a Guy's kinda mom!

I have a ton of stories about her and my dad!

LOL, I can tell this one!

We would go camping on the beach in Mexico and my dad would buy a case of bottled Mexican sodas! It went on the table and we were allowed to split one between us kids. Dad would have HIS bottle and warned us that we were NOT to drink from it.

He was doing the cooking that day and my mom DIDN't listen well that time.
    When dad turned to tend to the food, Mom came over and took a few healthy swigs from it. MY dad caught wind of it and IT WAS ON!

Mom started to get really funny, stumbling around and really loud.

Dad's soda had some of his "medicine" in it and mom got a little tanked. She was kinda rambunctious and us kids walked her to the beach to 'walk' it off.

There were some dead sting rays on the beach and I remember her walking over and giving them a few kicks. I was kinda amused and startled at the time, but we got her back to the tent and to sleep.

She woke up kinda hung over the next day-then, for years we would jokingly offer her a drink only to have her vehemently deny ever having tasted any kind of booze.

We would tell her she was drunk on the beach in Mexico all those years ago and she would call us liars.

A few years ago we caught her asleep on the couch and took a picture of her with a bottle of booze nestled in her arm.

LOLOLOLOL, We showed her the photo and she was so mad that for the life of me I don't know if I lost the photo on purpose or she scared me into losing it.

------------

My mom was also a huge sports fan, She loved her Lakers-the AHs had to lose on Tuesday night on a last second shot-I have to laugh and think if she didn't have a hand in the loss. She was never satisfied with close games. She wanted a 20 point victory every game.

This is terrlible but she was also a motorsports fan. I would go next door to watch the start of the NASCAR races and we would rate the singers who did the Star Spangled Banner.

Her least favorite motorsport? Motorcycle roadracing. I would go over and pop it on the tube to watch a few laps. She would freak out when the racers would put their knees on the concrete in the turns.

"OH, I HATE WHEN THEY DO THAT-I think that they are gonna knock their knees off!"

After a few laps she'd say, "Who is winning?"

WoW that was another great story about your Mother Richard.. Tell us some more ok.. Only if you feel up to it.. I brought some Plum Bread/Cake.. Orc can you go get us some of Karen's Blueberry Tea please??

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Ah Richard, what a great story. Taking the picture is classic! Reminds me of some of the things we did to my mom. Thanks for the laugh and fond memories.

From Decker with Love

hello there!!... I thought to drop by.... I brought some Flaming Hot Lays... letīs have more sizzling stories.... moms are great!!
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    hello there!!... I thought to drop by.... I brought some Flaming Hot Lays... letīs have more sizzling stories.... moms are great!!
    No No Orc dont dump a bucket of water on Isabel.. She did not say she had Flames.. Whewwss whats we gonna do with our Orc..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Hi, everyone! I thought I'd better take over the bartender chores and keep an eye on Orc! It's great hearing those stories about your mother, RICHARD.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    Oh, I had to laugh when I read we were having FLAMING HOT LAYS!

I could use one about now but I ate come vinegar and salt LAYS just before I went on line.... I should have waited!

Blue,
    Let me make you a grasshopper.....DONE!

Menthe-I think you got it right!

------------

OH when I start to think back I can tell thousands of them...

I have one of my dad- I thing a regular thread in the General section would be good later on, for the people who don't go near the DH!

My brother told me this on today.

My dad was going thru alzheimer's disease and kidney failure, dialysis, circulatory problems and he had his toes amputated. Not a nice way to go but he hung in there.

One day, on the way back from dialysis, my brother was pulled over because dad didn't have on a seat belt. The cop explained to my bro and dad why they were pulled over.

MY dad leaned over and asked the cop if he spoke Spanish. The cop said yes and this is what my brother said came outta Pop's mouth. It sounded way better in Espanol, but it's translates well!

"Look, I was driving before there were seatbelts in cars and way before you found a hard stool in your diaper......"

My brother buckled up my Dad and they drove off with a warning.

Richard, how about a mug of coffee w/some Bailey's Irish Cream in it? I've also been in the mood for some homemade guacamole and tortilla chips. I know, it doesn't exactly mix w/Bailey's, does it? My tastes in food and drink are weird but my taste in friends is not. I feel honored to be able to join the group and hear more stories about Mom Angelita. You can skip the food and drink if you like and just go straight to the storytelling. I'm all ears.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11