Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother makes son wear humiliating sign after bad behavior

Mother makes son wear humiliating sign after bad behavior

It took place right here in Ohio. What do you think?

http://www.yahoo.com/s/995872
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Like the reporter said - you can't even see his face. But I guess after this is televised all his friends at school will know it was him.
    He still didn't aplogize though. So I'm thinking that it didn't work. I don't know how I feel about it in general. I guess she's not beating him. *shrugs*
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I personally think that was degrading and wrong and gee maybe the mom's humiliation of the boy is the cause for him acting out...ya think? Children need discipline but it needs to be tempered with love...she said she tried spanking already and it didn't work...ya think
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I dont think it worked, but I must say I would have gave him a good *pop* on the butt before heading out...

You know how bad it hurts to get smacked BEFORE going out into the cold! *OUCH*

Bet he would have apologized quicker then!

I see nothing wrong with it. Like Cindy said, atleast she did not beat him. My parents would have!

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I think it shows what a failure the mother is! The poor boy won't get many chances in life - this is certainly not going to help him!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I think next time the kid thinks about smoking or stealing he will remember this and hopefully make a better choice later. Either that, or it could totally backfire and even escalate in an attempt to 'get back at her'. I don't necessarily think that the sign was a good idea, but the idea behind it was. I would have made him pick up trash in a public park, or some other type of community service. It would give him the time to think about what he did, and benefit others.

However, this mother gets kudos in my book for creativity. She could have always pulled down his pants and spanked him in public - that's a lot more degrading, yet I've seen many parents do it.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I'm with Randi on this one - humiliation will only make matters worse in my opinion. This mother should be checking out her parenting before tossing the blame on the child. All I can see from this silly act is that this kid will do even worse to get revenge on his mom, worse yet he probably feels hate towards his mom, which is so pathetic. Feel sorry for the child and feel the mom doesn't know much about parenting by using him for personal attention for herself.

I don't know; I'm torn. The boy not only tried smoking but he stole money and a cell phone from an aunt, a family member. Many kids will try smoking for a variety of reasons but not all kids will steal. All she asked for was an apology and even after standing out in the cold for two hours, he still wouldn't apologize. I think that rather than going to that extreme, which obviously didn't work, asking for an apology was not enough. He needs to be made to realize that theft has consequences for the thief. We choose our behavior but we can't choose the consequences. Restitution by working it off and an apology to his aunt would've been a priority. As she said, she'd rather be embarrassed now rather than visiting his grave later.

Some of the people who commented on Yahoo called the woman an abuser. That's harsh. She at least is trying to discipline her son even if some think that she's misguided. Too many kids are coddled today and their parents have instilled in them a shameful sense of entitlement. A friend of mine had the same problem w/her son and she was soft w/him, only asking for an apology such as this woman did. Now her son is 23, still stealing and from family members, too. He told his mom "Well, if you're that stupid, then you deserve it". He's been in jail several times, the exact thing that the mom in this story is trying desperately to avoid. I'm no expert in child psychology but I'm pretty sure that if this boy is allowed to continue on this path, his future and that of his mother and family will be marred w/unhappiness and shame.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I think the mom took the wrong approach when she decided to humiliate her son. Years down the road, the boy may not remember what he did to deserve being humiliated, but he'll remember how he felt.. and I think it'll scared him for good.

I believe parents should discipline their kids, but definitely not by means of humiliating or dehumanizing them!

Thanks ~Jessie~

Kudos to the mother. I think the only way for him to actually be sorry is when the police file charges against him.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Kudos to the mother. I think the only way for him to actually be sorry is when the police file charges against him.
    Unfortunately, that's what it came to w/my friend's son and unless this mom gets a handle on things, it may come to that w/her son, too. He's 12 years old; he knows the difference between right and wrong. I don't necessarily agree w/humiliating him but she obviously was desperate and no doubt there are people just waiting for an opportunity to call CPS if she does something that they don't like or agree with when it comes to disciplining her son, even though they're not walking in her shoes.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I personaly think the mother went a bit far on that one,I have been in her situation and it frustrates you when your children act out.I have been in every situation with mine,You do the best you can and that is all you can do,There going to make these decisions no matter how well they are brought up.I would never though put my child on a street corner and have them hold a sign,Its disheartning i think.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Hmmm - that's a tough one to call. I think humiliating him won't solve the problem. I just hope it doesn't backfire on the mother since he probably has the potential to retaliate against her. It could possibly get ugly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Hmmm - that's a tough one to call. I think humiliating him won't solve the problem. I just hope it doesn't backfire on the mother since he probably has the potential to retaliate against her. It could possibly get ugly.
    Agreed.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

This reminds me of a something- I worked at a grocery store in high school and my friend worked in the photo center at that grocery store. My husband (then boyfriend), Justin, brought me dinner on my break, but got there early so he went to say hi to our friend in the photo center while he waited for me to go on break. There was a woman there picking up pictures. I guess our friend looked at her funny because she said "you saw the pictures, didn't you?" He admitted that he did see her pictures. She explained that her sons had done something wrong (though I can't remember what exactly, something with ladies underwear) so she made them put ladies underwear on over their clothes for punishment. She thought it would embarrass them, but it backfired. They ended up dancing around, joking, and having fun. The woman ended up busting out the camera and taking pictures of her boys dancing around wearing their "punishment".

Justin and our friend were in a "band" at the time and they ended up writing a song called "Panties for Punishment" about the story the woman told them.

Crazy, but true.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla