Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uh oh.. Tilly has an owie

uh oh.. Tilly has an owie

I am making an appointment at the vet for Tilly tomorrow or Tuesday afternoon. Three days ago or so I saw a red mark on her upper lip, and I figured that when she and Bassett were playing she got a scratch. However, in the past two days it has gotten red and inflamed and a bit weepy. It looks like it is chapped. She is also licking her lip a LOT lately like it is bothering her. I'm afraid to put Polysporin on it because I don't know if it will hurt her if she licks it off. Does anyone know? I can keep it clean with Peroxide but I'm sure that has to sting awfully bad! Anyway, I want to make sure it isn't infected so a trip to the vet is safest. I just want her to be comfortable!

I will let you all know how she is doing and how the vet visit goes. Please send her some warm, get better thoughts!!

Thanks,
    Naomi

Tilly I hope your lip gets better soon.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Awww Tilly, I'm so sorry to hear about your owie. I sure hope that the vet can fix it right up. Good luck.

Well we have an appointment for tomorrow at 3pm. I will let everyone know how it all goes!

Poor Tilly! Owies are no fun. All fingers, paws and tails for her and her vet visit tomorrow.[/b]

I hope Tilly's owie is nothing serious, and that the vet can make her comfortable right away. In the meantime, special favours are called for!!!

Owie! Poor little Tilly. I hope the vet takes care of it and it doesn't get too infected. Let us know how she's doing when you get back tomorrow.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I hope little Tilly will get better real soon! The vet can surely give her something to make her comfortable!

Good luck sweet Tilly! When you get back, make sure you get your favourite treats!!

Please let us know how it goes!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Poor Tilly! I'm not sure about the Polysporin, but I bet you are right, she'd probably lick it off.

Let us know how the vet goes.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Hi everyone! Tilly was very good for the vet today and is just fine. The vet said that she had an inflammatory allergic reaction that is an ulcer, although it never developed into a real sore (this isn't technical by any means; she gave me the technical term but I can't remember it). She said that no medication was necessary but if the ulcer came back and became an open sore or worse or something she would need a shot of cortizone or something like that.

She said it might be an allergic reaction to her food, but she really didn't think that was it. She did tell me to change their food dishes from plasitc to glass or stainless steel (she seemed to think stainless steel was better, and said no to ceramic also). Like many posts on this site have said, plastic dishes can harbour bacteria and I guess Tilly is sensitive to it in a way Bassett isn't . I'm going to go look at dishes later this week when I'm done my classes.

She also showed me some pictures from a cat dermatology book that had very severe cases of these ulcers, and it was SO yucky! I said "unless something like that can happen overnight without me noticing, there is NO WAY I would EVER let it get that bad!!!!!!!!! " She did say that they were extreme cases.

She also explained that it isn't necessary to put any antibiotic on it because it wasn't an infection but an allergic reaction from the inside out, and antibiotic wouldn't help.

Then when I left, because Tilly didn't need any medication or anything they didn't charge me the full price for a visit so I only paid $26.75!! I thought that was very nice of her

So now Tilly is resting comfortably and sleeping on my bed It's so good to know she's fine and well! Thanks for all of your warm wishes and get wells! Tilly greatly appreciates it and sends purrs and headbumpies!

I am glad all things look good for Tilly
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

I'm glad to hear that things went well. Is the ulcer called rodent ulcer? I think that I remember reading a thread about someone who's cat has this problem and I think that the cat had to have several cortizone injections. I hope that changing from plastic dishes to stainless steel ones helps to solve this problem. Good luck.

YES!! it is called rodent ulcer You would think I would remember such a unique name as that!!

The vet said that her spot wasn't warrented for injections, and she didn't want to give medication if it wasn't necessary. And I agree

Yeah! Tilly is on the road to recovery!!! Great news. I do have a follow up question about the bowls..why shouldn't one use porcelain? That is what I use....uh oh.....Should I switch? I just think stainless steel are so ugly. What about just plain glass?

Basically she said that as long as your cats aren't having a reaction and you are keeping the bowls really clean like putting them in the dishwasher or washing them in really hot water, it should be ok. She seemed to lean toward stainless steel OR regular china or glass. I have a ceramic bowl that I thought was quite poreous but when I looked at it more carefully last night it's quite smooth on the inside so I'm not going to get rid of that one. I have plastic for all the other dishes and some of them have lids, which I use for travelling. I'm not going to get rid of those either, I'm just going to switch to glass or stainless steel for everyday use.

If your cats are fine and the dishes are cleaned well I don't think there is a problem with the porcelain