Thread: Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Hybrid View

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Wow, I have heard of this breed before, never took much interest to it, but I don't see WHY.

I think I really, and I mean REALLY have found the perfect breed for me. I think greyhounds are second, but this breed is perfect. I SO wish I could've had a dog that enjoys LONG walks, hiking and generally enjoys the outdoors. I loved Sassy but I knew that bigger dogs would more suit me. According to Dogs 101 on animal planet, they have minimal shedding and no horrific health problems. When someone wanted to create the perfect breed, I think they did it.

What do you think? I'm researching them, if one just happens to appear at the shelter I volunteer at, I'll be sure to try and be the first one to snatch it!

I'm so glad I found "my breed".

Ridgebacks are great, I really have no complain about them, we get quite a few in at work. One of the ridgeback's at work I thought was 6, and I found out he was actually 14. He looks faboulos for his age.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

My Chloe is a Ridgeback mix. My Ridgeback breeder friend is just sure she's purebred, but I know better.

I actually just read up on the Ridgeback about 2 years ago. I love them as well. If I had room and time for another dog I'd have a Ridgeback in a heartbeat! They are really good dogs! They are great hiking partners! Make sure you work with the dog a lot off leash as a puppy. They make good off leash hiking dogs. When you get a Ridgeback you have adopted a guard system. They would give their life for their owners. Make sure wherever you end up getting one it has a even temperment. I've meet a few that have got a bad side. Chloe has an issue with new men in her house. She's getting better though. It's all in socialization when they are young. Good luck on your Ridgeback search! They are truely a great, loyal, fun breed.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by lute View Post
    My Chloe is a Ridgeback mix. My Ridgeback breeder friend is just sure she's purebred, but I know better.

I actually just read up on the Ridgeback about 2 years ago. I love them as well. If I had room and time for another dog I'd have a Ridgeback in a heartbeat! They are really good dogs! They are great hiking partners! Make sure you work with the dog a lot off leash as a puppy. They make good off leash hiking dogs. When you get a Ridgeback you have adopted a guard system. They would give their life for their owners. Make sure wherever you end up getting one it has a even temperment. I've meet a few that have got a bad side. Chloe has an issue with new men in her house. She's getting better though. It's all in socialization when they are young. Good luck on your Ridgeback search! They are truely a great, loyal, fun breed.
    Does Chloe have the Ridge? That's such a unique feature, isn't it? I'm not planning on getting one soon, but who knows? I know I NEED to get one when I'm older. Such PERFECT dogs! I have read they are rather difficult to handle, but I think I can do it. You gotta start somewhere, right? I really would like a walking partner, hiking partner, BIKING partner They sound so perfect for me, I can't wait to get one of these gorgeous dogs. I've started browsing Petfinder already and looked at a few local breeders, none met my standards yet, but hopefully soon, I'll find one.

Does your RR breeder friend have a website? I'd love to check it out!

Yes, the Ridgeback breeder has a website. I got to find it first. I'll send it to you this afternoon when I get back from work. Ridgebacks can be a big handful. Be sure you are ready! No, Chloe doesn't have a ridge. There are Ridgebacks born without ridges all the time. I just know that Chloe is not purebred. She looks like and acts like a Ridgeback though. good luck on your search. Check out the Ridgeback Club of America. I think they have a breeder list on their site.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

If you're serious about finding a reputable breeder, your very first intuition should be to check the national breed club =)

Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of America: http://www.rrcus.org/

The RRCUS' breeder referral: http://www.rrcus.org/breeders/index.htm

Although not all breeders in the referral will be up to your standards, all of them are members of the RRCUS and, therefore, will have had to sign the club's Code of Ethics, which guarantees you that these breeders are held accountable for their breeding practices. To fully inform yourself of the genetic diseases that exist in Ridgebacks (and there ARE some) and what issues ail the breed in general, I highly recommend taking a look at the Code of Ethics. Some breeders do deviate from the Code, and it's really up to the buyer to determine how serious of an issue that is.

Ridgebacks are awesome, breahtaking dogs. But they are strong, independent, self-willed dogs. They require an owner more intelligent, more responsive, more stubborn than they are. Also, remember, Ridgebacks are often considered "tri-hounds" because they excel in hunting with their scent AND sight. They are just as sighthoundy as a Greyhound. They lure course, and they excel at it. So they *do* have a high prey drive, although I do suspect that their prey drive can be overridden more easily than a Greyhound's.

They are beautiful dogs, I agree I don't know why I'm not particularly drawn to them (I should be, though, considering I love sighthounds and I like dogs with a little more "meat" to them). But I definitely see why anybody would be so in love with them! They're great dogs!