Thread: Barking Problems

Angry Barking Problems

Alright, so I have three cattle dogs, two red and one blue. The blue cattle dog, is the alpha male, he thinks so, and will not let anyone get up while he is near, or bark while he is barking as well. I get it - this is a whole alpha male thing, but he's doing it continuously, everytime they bark the same time as him. We do not have a problem with them barking, (but the neighbors probably do, but besides the point.) at all, but whenever he is near one of the females, they cower, lay down and he stands over them. They are just fine, and stand up/doesn't cower when he is not around. Help??

I've had two ACD's in my life, and both were very dominant dogs.

Is your male neutered?

I would not say that the fact that your dog's barking is irritating your neighbors is "beside the point". I believe all pet owners should try to be good neighbors and not let their pets adversely affect others' lives.

Dogs, as you know, are pack animals with a strict hierarchy. There is always an alpha, a leader. Ideally, the alpha should be YOU, not one of your dogs. If your male dog perceives YOU as his alpha, he will stop barking/dominating if you tell him to ... just as the females now submit to him.

Have you tried the Nothing in Life is Free approach to training?
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

The main issue here is why is the male the Alpha?

The answer is because you are not.

That is also the problem.

While it may seem OK for the dog to take control and the bitches to be submissive, where are you? Can you stop the dog? Are you expecting the bitches to work? (I can get why you are not so worried about certain neighbours!!!!!)

This either is an issue that you have work VERY hard on with a behaviourist that you trust or you have to put up with it (and see all of your dogs under stress every day***) or you get rid of the dog and work hard with the bitches.

*** All the dogs are under stress - they are looking for direction and "rules" from a leader. The male has assumed the role of leader because he can't see anyone else around that he can trust to do it right. He is a weak leader and has to resort to intimidation to get his followers to do what he wants them to do - hence the cowering of your bitches. The bitches do not want a weak leader, it is a natural state of affairs for any dog to be told what to do, when to do it, how to do it and to understand the consequences if they disobey. A weak leader makes them nervous, a strong leader brings peace and harmony. The bitches understand that the leader is incompetent and know that he will be harsh if they disobey or hesitate. The dog is in a constant emotional state of near panic whilst trying to show how cool he is on the outside - he knows that he is a bad leader. He has to use intimidation to get the bitches to obey him. He doesn't understand the human world he is living in so does not know what leadership decisions to make....it goes on and on and on and on.

These are working dogs by design - humans have bred them to do a job. They need to have mental activity much more than physical. They need physical activity they can make some sense of - it needs to fulfil the instinctive drives they experience. More than anythying they need a strong leader, you, to provide these things and participate.

Have you ever had your female animals around other dogs? If so, do they act submissive then or just around your animal? It could partially be that they are very submissive by nature.

My family has always had "working" dogs. I've found the best way to help them respect you as Alpha is to let them "help" you if you are outside doing anything like yard work. My parents have had issues with their dominant female of their 6 dogs, so they taught her to simply sit and stay. They allow her to walk beside them as they weed flowers or trim hedges (or even when they go fishing). When they stop at a hedge to trim it, they had her sit and stay (praising her of course for the action). She quickly grew to love this and now even accompanies them to help feed our horses. She used to scare them, but now it is much easier to control her through verbal commands.

The animals all also are exercised regularly to work out any extra energy that may be putting them on edge. I don't think you need a behaviorist because you can essentially become one yourself by instating the correct techniques.

I don't think you are the "problem" really...I just feel like we (thinking as humans) don't always understand why are animals do some of the things they do. I really don't want to be condescending either and tell you that you're doing everything wrong. I think that's the most discouraging thing someone can say to a dog owner who is seeking advise. I've used many techniques like the one in the NILIF program and they really do help quite a bit-especially with working dogs who like to earn their keep.

(By the way, I meant to mention that my Weim loved the Kong ball...it gave her a way to stimulate herself mentally, and it reduces boredom. You may have to monitor your male's behavior if you give one to your females so that he cannot scare them or take the toy away though.)

Really good example with the collie getting a job in certain situations - to sit, stay - simple, brilliant and practical!

Smile

Yes, he is neutered. We have yelled at him. We have yelled at him repeatedly, we have told him NO repeatedly in a not so nice manner. I have control of my dogs but he does not listen. It's okay. I'll just keep yelling at him - hopefully he learns. Thanks anyway.

Blog Entries
    I have had Australian Cattle dogs & they can be very stubborn. If you yell at it the results could be more barking. I had a female cattle dog that use to sit out on the side hill & bark her head off. The only way I could get her to stop was bring her inside. I have my dogs trained to sleep on rugs in the entry. I also would put them in the garage where they would not have deer to bark at etc. They are very territoral this breed of dog. Is your male dog older then the females? I would just grab him & pull him off the females. He needs to learn some respect. This breed of dog does require lots of exercise they can be nervous & high strung too. They can be very loyal & will do what you tell them but you have to have control over them. Using a leash & working with obedience can help too. Believe me I have had three of these dogs in my life time & know what you are dealing with.

Cool

When I had this problem I attempted to train Alex (my dog) not to bark. Tried manually myself but needed more help. My neighbour and I chipped in together to order a bark collar. Its true that they can be quite expensive but it solved our problem after about a month of training. I used the Master Plus Pro collar which I purchased online.

The collar only sprayed (I dont beleive in static attacks!). A while after trainging a simple warning noise from the collar was enough to deter him from barking.

Think I paid about £120 for my collar but have noticed it has now came down in price...

NOOOOOO! Don't do a bark collar. Get a empty Windex bottle, set it on jet, and when the poor dog barks squirt his nose. It works, I have a Yorkie. (Another word for Yorkie is Barksalot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    I have had Australian Cattle dogs & they can be very stubborn. If you yell at it the results could be more barking. .
    Yes, when you yell at them they think you are barking too, so they bark louder! I'ts true!