Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Girl -VERY SAD UPDATE POST #19

Diamond Girl -VERY SAD UPDATE POST #19

I just wanted to share this with all of you on PT. I am very excited and a bit nervous as well!!

Diamond is a 7 month old pit bull puppy. She was hit by a car and ended up in a vet clinic for over 2 months. The vet saved her life, but her family never came to get her! So she stayed in a stainless steel kennel with only newspaper on the bottom for over 2 months. She is in a very temporary foster home in Davenport, IA. Diamond will be coming to our rescue with in the next week or so. Diamond's back and hind legs are paralyzed from the accident. Diamond is going to need alot of medical treatment and rehabilitation. But we are hopeful that she will live a long and happy life once she gets here and gets the care she needs. We have started a fundraiser for her called "Dollars For Diamond". We will be going to various pet stores in the area and setting up "shop" to try to get funds towards her medical and rehabilitation care. Fingers and paws crossed that her trip to Illinois goes well. I will keep you all posted on her....because I am now back on PT!!!

Here is her picture.

Last edited by Reachoutrescue; 11-23-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: update

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Wow, what a sweet girl... such a shame that the family never came back to pick her up!

Hope everything goes well!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post
    Wow, what a sweet girl... such a shame that the family never came back to pick her up!

Hope everything goes well!
    Thank you. Actually her family spoke with the vet after surgery and stated they could did not want her and could not pay for the emergency surgery that saved her life. We don't even know the circumstances in which she was hit by a car or who brought her into the vet...we just know she needs us.

Update: The lady in Iowa that is helping Diamond is taking her back to a vet to get a complete exam....she is going to try to find out what we are up against before she comes to us. I will update as much as I can.

www.rornfp.org

She's precious!!! She looks like my RB Bully. Best wishes for that little girl!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    You might try fundable.com to reaise some of the funds.
    Read everything carefully. If you don't raise the entire amount you're asking for in the timeframe allowed, you get none of the money. So, keep your request on the low side. Every little bit helps, right?
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Oh, what a beautiful girl! Glad to hear she is doing well and getting that second chance she deserves. I will keep her in my thoughts. Thanks for helping her out!
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

OMG, I WISH I could take her!! What an adorable girl, such a sweetie. Im so glad you will be taking her into your rescue!! That's amazing. I know she will thrive under your care and find and excellent home.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Diamond looks like an excellent candidate for http://www.wheelchairsfordogs.com/ one of Dewey's wheelchairs.
    I've never met Dewey, but he's built several wheelchairs for pets on IMOM.org
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thank you for all your wonderful comments....I just hope I will do well by this girl. I have been doing a lot of research and have been preparing for her here. Dave is going to build a ramp for outside. We have two small steps that lead to outside, so with a ramp she will be able to get in and out!

Kuhio - Thank you for the tips. I am checking out the sights as we "speak". You are right, every little bit helps....and she does need help!!!

I am waiting to hear from Debbie in Iowa to find out how Diamond is doing today. I will keep you posted.

www.rornfp.org

I started the Fundable fundraiser for Diamond as Kuhio suggested. Here is the link if anybody would like to pass it along to their contacts. Thank you all for spreading the word for me.

Dollars For Diamond - Fundraiser #1

www.rornfp.org

Here is an update on Diamond. She has a urinary track infection, pressure sores, and is NOT updated on vaccines like we were told, and she will also need to be spayed. She is going into the vet on Thursday (in Iowa) to due a full examination on her. We need to be sure she is healthy enough for travel, if she is not, she will remain at a foster home in Iowa until she is well enough to travel. Debbie is getting the cart that was donated fitted for her this week as well.

Dave has started his work on the ramp for our backyard as well as getting ideas for a sling for her. I am currently looking into horse slings or goat slings...something that can support her off the ground and keep her still during diaper changes. She does go potty with no issues, which is very good, and we are told once she is healthy enough and used to her cart, we can train her to potty outside. If anybody has any sling ideas, please pass them along.

I will update more when I know more. Thank you for all your support and kind words.

www.rornfp.org

Diamond is a beautiful girl. I know you will get her and nurse her back to health and find her the perfect home.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Diamond is a beautiful girl. I know you will get her and nurse her back to health and find her the perfect home.
    Thank you Taz. We actually have plans for her. If for some reason, once she is fully healthy and used to the cart, we can not place her in a home, we would like to train her to become a therapy dog for children in hospitals and show them that they CAN beat anything with a little bit of fight!! It will be a very long road until that can happen, but it would be so good for Diamond, as well as children in wheel chairs or that are very ill. Thank you again to everybody for your support.

www.rornfp.org

I just wanted to give you all a quick update on Diamond. I am still waiting to hear from the lady in Iowa that has Diamond. I emailed her the other day. I also have a mutual friend trying to contact her for us. I am not sure why she is not responding to my emails....but I am getting very nervous. I really hope Diamond is okay. I will update you all once I hear something. I wish I had different news....I am sorry.

www.rornfp.org

Well, I finally heard from the lady in Iowa with Diamond. They have decided to have Diamond go to a foster home that is closer to Iowa than I am. This concerns me. The foster home I had lined up is experienced with special needs dogs...specifically paralyzed pups. I have great references, which I provided for her, I had a cart being donated to us, as well as supplies to build a sling. I had spoken with a rehabilitation therapist already. We were so prepared for her. Dave even started building the ramp for her. And I started the fundraiser. I am not angry that I am not getting her, just very disappointed. I did a lot of extensive research and work to make her adjustment comfortable. I just hope she is really going to a "foster". Debbie never told me what the vet said. I pray they are not giving up on her. I never worked with Debbie before...so I am a bit concerned. All I can do is pray. She said she would update me. So we will see.

For anybody that donated....we will refund your donation upon request. Just PM me your email address so I can find you on the donation site. It is not right to take money for a dog we are not getting and I don't want anybody thinking I am running a "money" scam.

Thank you all for all your help. Prayers for Diamond's safety.

www.rornfp.org