Thread: We had quite a scare last night

Hybrid View

We had quite a scare last night

Hannah was choking last night. I don't mean *down the wrong pipe cough cough choke choke* I mean face turning colors choking.

We were getting ready for our dinner and Hannah was sitting in her exersaucer eating some goldfish. Last night was a late dinner night so she ate before we did.

anyway Brian was in the living room with her getting his tray and stuff ready and I was in the kitchen doctoring up my food and I just hear brian say "OMG Hannah are you OK... she's choking" so I ran out to the living room and sure enough she was choking.

I honestly thought that the first time something like that happened I would freak out and be in a panic... but I didn't. I was calm. As Brian was lifting her out I ordered him to turn her upside down on his leg and pat her back HARD. Sure enough she coughed up the goldfish... Thank God.

She was pretty upset for a little bit so I snuggled her and Brian got her some milk in her bottle and that calmed her down and she was OK. We were a little shaken up though.

So this was my wake up call to get into a CPR and First Aid class ASAP and get some updated knowledge in case something like this happens again (God forbid)

I recommend everyone take a CPR and First Aid class.

Definitely the scariest moment of my life so far.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

That was my biggest fear when my kids were that age. I did go to a cpr class for infants and children, my babysitter at the time had someone come out to her house one evening and I went.

I always sliced grapes lenghwise, my oldest use to choke on pasta all the time.

That must have been really frightening I am glad you knew what to do.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I´ve been in same situation..only it was China as a baby.. but still... it´s quite scary and good for you to stay calmed too and knew what to do...

CPR/first aid.. might seem unnecesary but they really come in handy in moments like this... always hoping to never ever have to use them..

good Hannah is ok now....((hugs))...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Frightening! So glad you knew how to respond, and that dear Hannah is alright.

Please consider yourself hugged!

You handled it perfectly. I have taken the CPR/First Aid courses numerous times since I worked in child care. I should keep up on it, but I haven't.
    I always wonder how I would handle a situation like that. I mean, I know (in my head) what to do. But to actually have to put it to action. That's so scary.

I am so glad all is well.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That is scary!
    I'm so glad you knew what to do and that Hannah is ok.
    erin.

Thank you so much for the siggy, Husky_mom!

Thanks everyone

yeah I think adrenaline just took over and told our brains there was no time for panicking.

The hospital where Hannah was born gave us the option to watch an infant crp/first aid video and I'm glad that we decided to watch it but I really need to get into a class. I think the YMCA does classes. need to check that out.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Oh WoW yes I would have been frantic.. I know a couple of my cats would be chocking on something & I would turn them upside down & pat their backs & up would come what they were chocking on.. So Glad All Is Good & Well.. Take Care You All..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Yes, on an adult, the Heimlich maneuver is recommended, but with a baby, that's not really possible or healthy!

Now Miss Hannah, chew, baby! Crunch those fishies up before they get to be swallowed, okay?