Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We had quite a scare last night

We had quite a scare last night

Hannah was choking last night. I don't mean *down the wrong pipe cough cough choke choke* I mean face turning colors choking.

We were getting ready for our dinner and Hannah was sitting in her exersaucer eating some goldfish. Last night was a late dinner night so she ate before we did.

anyway Brian was in the living room with her getting his tray and stuff ready and I was in the kitchen doctoring up my food and I just hear brian say "OMG Hannah are you OK... she's choking" so I ran out to the living room and sure enough she was choking.

I honestly thought that the first time something like that happened I would freak out and be in a panic... but I didn't. I was calm. As Brian was lifting her out I ordered him to turn her upside down on his leg and pat her back HARD. Sure enough she coughed up the goldfish... Thank God.

She was pretty upset for a little bit so I snuggled her and Brian got her some milk in her bottle and that calmed her down and she was OK. We were a little shaken up though.

So this was my wake up call to get into a CPR and First Aid class ASAP and get some updated knowledge in case something like this happens again (God forbid)

I recommend everyone take a CPR and First Aid class.

Definitely the scariest moment of my life so far.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

That was my biggest fear when my kids were that age. I did go to a cpr class for infants and children, my babysitter at the time had someone come out to her house one evening and I went.

I always sliced grapes lenghwise, my oldest use to choke on pasta all the time.

That must have been really frightening I am glad you knew what to do.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I´ve been in same situation..only it was China as a baby.. but still... it´s quite scary and good for you to stay calmed too and knew what to do...

CPR/first aid.. might seem unnecesary but they really come in handy in moments like this... always hoping to never ever have to use them..

good Hannah is ok now....((hugs))...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Frightening! So glad you knew how to respond, and that dear Hannah is alright.

Please consider yourself hugged!

You handled it perfectly. I have taken the CPR/First Aid courses numerous times since I worked in child care. I should keep up on it, but I haven't.
    I always wonder how I would handle a situation like that. I mean, I know (in my head) what to do. But to actually have to put it to action. That's so scary.

I am so glad all is well.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That is scary!
    I'm so glad you knew what to do and that Hannah is ok.
    erin.

Thank you so much for the siggy, Husky_mom!

Thanks everyone

yeah I think adrenaline just took over and told our brains there was no time for panicking.

The hospital where Hannah was born gave us the option to watch an infant crp/first aid video and I'm glad that we decided to watch it but I really need to get into a class. I think the YMCA does classes. need to check that out.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Oh WoW yes I would have been frantic.. I know a couple of my cats would be chocking on something & I would turn them upside down & pat their backs & up would come what they were chocking on.. So Glad All Is Good & Well.. Take Care You All..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Yes, on an adult, the Heimlich maneuver is recommended, but with a baby, that's not really possible or healthy!

Now Miss Hannah, chew, baby! Crunch those fishies up before they get to be swallowed, okay?

Aww! I'm glad she's ok!! And I'm very glad you stayed calm, because when people panic, it only makes the situation way worse. But I'm very glad she's ok

"To err is human; to forgive, canine."
    -Anonymous

Years ago I was chewing a Twizzler when suddenly a piece lodged in my throat. My husband and son were watching TV and saw me choking but did nothing. It wasn't until I dropped to my knees on the floor and they saw my color change that they sprang into action. After I got my breath and calmed down, I yelled "What does it take to get you guys to help me?!" They said "We honestly thought you were just sort of coughing at first and then joking around!" I can tell you that, as an adult, that was one scary moment, so for a toddler it must have been doubly so. If you're not breathing, you're dying. I'm so glad that Hannah came through unscathed and you've really made me think that I need to learn CPR. (((HUGS))) to you and very gentle (((HUGS))) to Hannah.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Ooh how scary! So glad that you guys knew what to do. We haven't had that happen yet, thankfully...I think I really need to take a CPR class!

It sounds as though mother's intuition came through and everything you have ever learned to do flashed through your mind. Thank God you knew exactly what to do. It must have scared you both to pieces.

I would be curious if Hannah is a little leary of the goldfish now. If she connects the awful experience to those little fish.

You're a great Mom!!

That is sooo scary. I'm really glad she is OK, and that you were able to stay calm.

It happened once to Lydia too when we were in Kohl's of all places. I'm thankful that that is the one and only time she has ever choked, it is just way too scary when that happens!

give her a hug from me!

I'm glad your little one is ok! How scary.

Several years ago friends of mine lost their young son when he choked on a piece of hot dog. Such a tragedy!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving