Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The US Constitution

The US Constitution

There has been some hyperbolic fear mongering on PT about the danger the US Constitution may face in the coming years.

Facts overcome fear. So here are some facts.

The US Constitution was ratified in 1788. There have been 27 amendments to the original constitution over the years. This is probably a good thing since the country and the world are rather different today than in 1788.

The president does not amend the constitution – congress writes and passes proposed amendments. The amendment must then be ratified by ¾ of the states. Hundreds of amendments are proposed -- very few are seriously discussed – far, far fewer get to a vote and are sent to the states for ratification.

The states do not always ratify what congress passes. An example is the Equal Rights Amendment. This was to guarantee women equal rights under the constitution. It was passed by congress and ratified by 35 of the states. It has never been ratified by the three additional states needed.

In the 20th century 13 amendments were ratified. The 18th and 21st cancel each other out (prohibition and repeal of prohibition.) Other 20th century amendments include granting women the right to vote, limiting presidential terms to two, prohibiting poll taxes, limiting congressional pay raises and reducing the voting age from 21 to 18.

Despite all these changes to the constitution the Union still stands.

So don’t drink the Kool-aid. At ease. Do not be afraid. Change has happen, change will continue to happen. After all...would you really want to live without change?

I mean this with all sincerity...

THANK YOU!

Sometimes hearing a voice of reason makes me feel as if the world hasn't completely gone crazy.

I have to agree... I have been puzzled about the seeming fears that one man could be elected president, go in and just rewrite the constitution himself, even if he wanted to. Just think of how many presidents have been against Roe V Wade or Pro-life, yet they cannot just skip into office and fully overturn it themselves. No president can just eliminate checks and balances, in my belief. That's something to keep in mind for anyone who thinks a president can go in and easily produce massive changes, either for good or for ill. I have no soaring hopes that the man elected president will just get in and solve the nation's problems overnight.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Good post, truly, I mean that. However, many people will answer "yes" to your last question. Many people are so worried about hanging on to what they have, that they have decided that change is the enemy. They have succeeded so far in protecting what they have in the world as they now perceive it to be, and they fear any change. I would point to the Equal Rights Amendment as a perfect example of that. I am also willing to bet that some people (not necessarily people on this board) would point to some of the changes that you have mentioned as being the reason this country is in the precarious financial and security position that it is in now (never mind that most of the countries on the globe are experiencing similar issues). So although your post is most informative, I am afraid it will only enlighten those who are willing to open their eyes to the light.

Thanks. That was good information.

I think this woman really summed it all up.

Thank you for the civics lesson. A small shame that most people do not understand the process you explained.

Obama as President? Fine. Obama as President with an entirely Democratic legislature? Yikes. There needs to be balance.

Like I have said before, several times... I HOPE and PRAY I am wrong. But I fear that Barack Obama wants to turn the Constitution into a document of entitlements, rather than freedoms.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Obama as President? Fine. Obama as President with an entirely Democratic legislature? Yikes. There needs to be balance.
    May I ask you a question, seriously? Did you feel this same way back when Bush was President and both the House and Senate were Republican?

I was concerned and expressed that to some friends. They pooh-poohed me. But the same sort of things happened then that you portend will happen if and when next Tuesday.

I much prefer if there is a balance in the Government.

Excellent post ES. As always The fear mongering is what annoys me most. It's simply ignorance. If you look at facts, the fear goes away.
    I think Grace brings up an interesting point. We VOTE for who we want. If the country wants 100% on either side, it's up to the voters. (God help us!) Oi vey!
    Last edited by kitten645; 11-01-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    May I ask you a question, seriously? Did you feel this same way back when Bush was President and both the House and Senate were Republican?

I was concerned and expressed that to some friends. They pooh-poohed me. But the same sort of things happened then that you portend will happen if and when next Tuesday.

I much prefer if there is a balance in the Government.
    100% absolutley, YES. What Bush did is proof of just how little difference there is between the two major parties.

Balance, good. I'd much prefer WAY, WAY, WAY less federal government. But they got most people right where they want them.... Looking to them to solve their problems.

How sloth we have become as a people. Quite sad, no?

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by kitten645 View Post
    I think Grace brings up an interesting point. We VOTE for who we want. If the country wants 100% on either side, it's up to the voters. (God help us!) Oi vey!
    Sure. But then they just go and do whatever the hell they want. Regardless of what they said to get elected.

Until we break the stranglehold the two parties have on us.... It's all going to be the same. We need to stop fighting each other and focus on forcing THEM to do what they say they should do.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

There is slim chance that only one party will be elected to Congress.

All of the House members are up for election every two years. Their terms start in even numbered years, including this one. All 435 are up this year.

The Senators are elected for 6 year terms. About 1/3 of them are up for re-election every 2 years on even numbered years.

http://www.mahoney.house.gov/index.p...temid=99999999

Plus there are always some Independents sprinkled through the mix.
    Maybe more Independents need to be elected to Congress to keep an eye on the Dems and the Reps.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lets hope that the Dems do not get a filibuster proof Senate.

And I totally, totally agree that we need a LOT more independant/3rd party people in the legislature.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

The problem is that many on the left think the Constitution can be interpreted to fit their mode of how things should be. The Fairness Doctrain, the AWB, and taxing ourselves into prosperity are prime examples of the liberals going against the intent of the Constitution.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I'd be more concerned about the Supreme Court than the Legislature.