Thread: Our beloved Mr. B has passed away

Our beloved Mr. B has passed away

My wife and I put our beloved cat Mr. B to sleep about a week ago. I hope you will include him in your thoughts and prayers.

Mr. B had at least two deadly medical conditions. First, he suffered from CRF, which will eventually prove fatal unless a more fast-acting terminal condition appears. His CRF was quite advanced. We were giving him subcutaneous fluids (150 ml) twice a day to keep him hydrated. He’d stopped using the litter box and so we had wee pads all over the house, which he would use 95 percent of the time. He was also on a special diet for CRF cats, Science Diet K/D.

Second, he had some sort of cancerous growth in his nasal/sinus cavity. I’ll never forget discovering the first sign of this cancer. Mr. B was sitting on his bed when I noticed that he had a bloody nose. My vet told me to bring him in immediately. They ran some bloodwork and noticed that he had elevated calcium levels, which almost always means cancer. We didn’t know exactly where the cancer was. The vet told me it would be fatal no matter where it was, and so we opted not to put Mr. B through the torment of more medical procedures that would ultimately prove to be merely “academic”. Our vet estimated that Mr. B had between three and six months left.

I’d long thought that Mr. B would eventually die from kidney failure, which we’d been contending with for years. However, the cancer was aggressive and relentless. We were giving him prednisolone and this bought him some time, but we knew he would not be with us much longer.

Over time I grew so angry about and frustrated by his illness. After that initial nosebleed, Mr. B always had a bloody, snotty nose on one side…always. He was very congested, making it difficult for him to breath through one nostril, and when he did breathe it was sometimes very noisy. I can’t tell you how sick I grew of his snotty, bloody nose.

Mr. B was a free spirit who insisted on his personal space. However, at some point the seriousness of his condition seemed to dawn on him. The way he acquiesced to our help was incredibly touching, bringing home to us just how sick he was, but also how much he trusted us to care for him. He gave himself up to us like a little lamb, making it harder than ever for us to imagine letting him go.

For me, the hardest part of this whole process was the beginning. The day our vet told us that Mr. B had cancer and would die within 6 months was overwhelming to me. I almost fainted in the vet’s office, but I lay down on the floor quickly enough to avoid losing consciousness completely. My vet initially thought I was feeling faint because I couldn’t stand the sight of blood and had just seen them take a blood sample, but I explained to her that the sight of blood wasn’t the problem.

We brought Mr. B home that day and in some ways I think that’s when we started saying goodbye to him. Every time I looked at him or held him, the inevitability of his death seemed more real to me. It was terrible, but I also appreciated having this period of time to really show Mr. B how much I loved him and to give him the kind of care he deserved. And we took very, very good care of him, right up until the end. I’m so glad and thankful for this and it was a consolation to me after his passing. We had some good times in those final months. I cherish them now.

The very last day—the day we had Mr. B put to sleep—was also extremely hard. However, at this point Mr. B was finding it increasingly difficult to breathe and our greatest fear was that there’d be some horrible period of suffocation before his death. So making that final decision was not too difficult in our case. Now, however, we find it very hard to cope with his absence. We miss him so much. He was the friend of a lifetime.

I'll try to include a few photos of Mr. B below.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Mr. B sounds like he was a dear friend and will be missed. I hope that the good memories will outweigh the sad ones and bring you comfort during this difficult time.

We are so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to let go, but you know that his suffering is at an end and he can play at the bridge untill you see him again.
    GILL & Crew;

I'm sorry to hear about Mr. B's passing to the Bridge. (Your pix aren't coming through for me.) It's always difficult to let one of our furkids go. However, you did the last act of kindness for him and that's true love, which he surely appreciated. RIP Mr. B and peace to your family.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Our beloved Mr. B has passed away

Sorry the photos of Mr. B didn't show up in my original post. I have attached them this time. Thank you all for your kind words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr B kicking back.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	621.7 KB 
ID:	40785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr. B profile.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	698.0 KB 
ID:	40786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr. B closeup.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	567.5 KB 
ID:	40787  

Beautiful kitty!!

He really was a beautiful boy. Heartfelt condolences on your sad loss -- RIP Mr. B...
    There aren't too many bad spots that can't be made at least a little better by either a nap, a cat, or both.

I am so sorry about Mr. B. Such a handsome kitty.

Rest in Peace sweet boy.

From Decker with Love

I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. B. He sure was a handsome cat. Now he's painfree and playing up at Rainbow Bridge. RIP sweet boy.

I am sorry to read about your boy. We just never have them with us long enough....and you cared for Mr. B with so much love. Sleep softly, dear Mr. B....
    Nine is Fine!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    So sorry that you have lost Mr. B.

RIP Mr. B - and have fun running thru the meadows with all your new found friends.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Losing them is so hard. I'm sorry for your loss. We have another Pet Talk friend whose Mr. B died almost 2 years ago. Your Mr B sounds like he was a wonderful friend. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh I am so sorry for your loss.. RIP wittle Mr.B & may you be a RB with all the other Beloved PT Angles.. Play Hard wittle one.. Huggss & Prayers to your mom & dad..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I am sorry for your loss. Mr B is now painfree and waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Thats Such A Wonderful Story About Mr B , And Thats Heart Warming About All The Things You Did For Mr B To Make His Life As Happy As Possible.
    Its So Nice That He Realized This And Turned To You As Her Friends And Guardians.
    Hes Found A Fantastic Place For You To Meet Once More Where You Will Share A Great Meal, See Fantastic Sights And Be A Family Once More.
    One Fine Day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS