Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stray Cat

Stray Cat

I have a new stray cat at my house & he has made himself right at home. The problem is he is sick - sneezing and seems to be having trouble breathing. We got our 1st snow here last nite and it was cold & windy outdoors. The stray cat was in the house laying on the recliner and I knew he couldn't stay there, but I hated to put him out in the cold. I tried calling a few people to see if they could or would take him in. No luck. I ended up putting him out and it abt. broke my heart to do it. He kept looking at me with eyes that were saying please let me stay in where it's warm. When I woke up this morning I looked out to see if he was still there and seen that he had crawled in the cat carrier - I have an old blanket in there so at least he was a little warmer. Anyway I'm trying to decide what to do with him - I don't really want to call the police because I'm afraid they will just shoot him. but I can't afford more vet bills. I wish there was a shelter here where I could take him. What should I do - any ideas?

Where do you live?

You can't keep him in your bathroom until he is well? I'm sure quite a few of us have antibiotics on hand that we can send you. That, combined with steam from your showers/baths, and good food might help him pull through the URI.

Did you put food out for him, and water? Can you insulate the carrier by wrapping newspaper and plastic around it? Or put the carrier in a large box that is wrapped with plastic. If he is going to have to stay outside without help, it may be more humane to call in the authorities to shoot him, better than a lingering death from starvation because he can't breathe well enough to eat.

No offense, but why would you put him back out in a snow storm if he looked like he wanted to stay in the warmth, and he's sick? I don't understand that part. It just seems cruel to kick him back out. Do you have a spare room to shelter him?

Try your local Walmart for material that's like a sheepskin/sherpa like feel, and you can put that inside the carrier, to line it. Then you can put the carrier in a large box to buffet it from the wind. At least that way he has some shelter.

That was one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. How would you like to be put out in the cold when you’re not feeling well?
    A spare room, bathroom, even a shower stall with a towel would be better. The people here on PT are more then willing too help everyone and any one that needs it, but cruelty if hard to forgive.
    Lets see what we can do to get this baby healthy and a home.
    GILL & Crew;

Re

You're right everyone and I am sorry. I wasn't trying to be cruel but I was trying to protect my cats from getting sick. You have sent good ideas that I will try. I also called the vet and they are going to look into finding him a home.

What you put him back out in the snow.. Ekkkk == Can you at least just put him in the garage with a kitty sheepskin condo.. Please take one of our ideas to heart && bring this baby back in out of the cold.. Where do you live anyway??

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I've got a small bathroom for him to recover in if someone can get him to me. HOWEVER, he needs Frontline. I've 4 of my own cats I need to protect. PM me.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

DO YOU HAVE A BASEMENT WHERE YOU CAN KEEP THAT POOR CATS WHERE AT LEAST HE WILL BE WARM AND SAFE.
    I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR CATS SAFE AS FIP CAN BE DEADLY , AND SPREADS SO FAST.
    YOU HAVE TO BE CONCERNED WITH YOUR CATS HEALTH AS WELL AS CARING FOR THAT POOR STRAY.
    WE ARE PRAYING FOR THAT POOR LOST SOUL
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Hey you made a mistake, and you now see the error in that, and it is great to see you are going to find somewhere warm for him, and a home, there are many who would just turn their backs, so good luck with it all, i am certain many here on PT will help you out.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by nancys View Post
    You're right everyone and I am sorry. I wasn't trying to be cruel but I was trying to protect my cats from getting sick. You have sent good ideas that I will try. I also called the vet and they are going to look into finding him a home.
    It's totally understandable not to let him get in contact with your cats, but is there a garage you can put him in, or basement, where he could at least be out of the elements?

Good luck, and hope you can get him to the vet and get a clean bill of health.

I'm glad that you care enough to worry about this cat and to post about him too. It sounds like he didn't have anyone else before he found you. I really hope that you will be able to do a bit more for him and it sounds like you've got a possibility with Moosmom's offer to take him if we can help you get him to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I've got a small bathroom for him to recover in if someone can get him to me. HOWEVER, he needs Frontline. I've 4 of my own cats I need to protect. PM me.
    I hope you will PM her so this little cat can get out of the cold and get some much needed care. I know he must have loved being cared for by you for that one warm night and it must be awfully hard for him to understand why he is so cold again. Thanks for caring about him and please keep us updated with posts.

I will send the flea medication if you let Donna have him!

Donna, dont worry about fleas, I will send it for him if you get him. Before you get him if that is what you want... Let me know!

I will pray for this kitten.. Poor baby.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I "think" she is in Michigan, but I am not positive.. Possible I got her mixed up with someone else...

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Re

About the stray cat I called the vet yesterday and the girl I talked to said she thinks she knows who he belongs to. I tried calling that family last nite, but no answer. I know he belongs to someone or at some time belonged to someone because usually a stray cat won't just come into a house and make themselves at home like he has. By the way I did keep him the house last nite.

Quote Originally Posted by nancys View Post
    I have a new stray cat at my house & he has made himself right at home. The problem is he is sick - sneezing and seems to be having trouble breathing. We got our 1st snow here last nite and it was cold & windy outdoors. The stray cat was in the house laying on the recliner and I knew he couldn't stay there, but I hated to put him out in the cold. I tried calling a few people to see if they could or would take him in. No luck. I ended up putting him out and it abt. broke my heart to do it. He kept looking at me with eyes that were saying please let me stay in where it's warm. When I woke up this morning I looked out to see if he was still there and seen that he had crawled in the cat carrier - I have an old blanket in there so at least he was a little warmer. Anyway I'm trying to decide what to do with him - I don't really want to call the police because I'm afraid they will just shoot him. but I can't afford more vet bills. I wish there was a shelter here where I could take him. What should I do - any ideas?

Reprieve noted. If you need help transporting lets us know. Donna I am sorry the house is full. 13 and a possible #14, but I can certainly help in transportation. For those that don’t know about half of my kids have come from Donna in one way or another.
    GILL & Crew;