Thread: Gas stove burner question

Gas stove burner question

Ok, I have a gas stove and basically only ever use the front two burners. Well, I was cleaning the stove tonight and took off the caps of the burners, and the REAR burners that I never really use (maybe a few times a year??) had all this sandy like residue underneath them. It was totally bizarre. I thought maybe it was solid and caked in there, but when I jabbed it with a knife, it scattered. I used a vacuum cleaner to get it all up, but I can't figure out what the heck all the build up is.

Any clues or suggestions?? I don't think it's dust. It was sandy, almost like an ant hill. I don't have ants though, and I doubt they'd survive in a gas stove burner.

Also, one will light, but the other one won't. Even if I put a flame to it and it's on the ignition are (clicking sounds being made), nothing happens. No flame. Could this be because of all that stuff that was there?

I did see this before, I think last year when I was dealing with the rear gas caps, and same thing. I just can't figure out what it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post

Any clues or suggestions?? I don't think it's dust. It was sandy, almost like an ant hill. I don't have ants though, and I doubt they'd survive in a gas stove burner.

Also, one will light, but the other one won't. Even if I put a flame to it and it's on the ignition are (clicking sounds being made), nothing happens. No flame. Could this be because of all that stuff that was there?

I did see this before, I think last year when I was dealing with the rear gas caps, and same thing. I just can't figure out what it could be.
    The residue could be the shavings off of the pots you use on the front burner.
    If you shake the pans on the 'grill' it scrapes the bottom and wears them down.

When you disassemble the burner look down to see little nipple where the gas comes out you can run a needle into the hole and that may clear it up for you.

Another thing that I learned about electric ignition stoves-If you get the stove to click and you do not see the spark coming out of the little igniter, try this.

On my stove the igniter is a little piece of what looks like ceramic with a little steel piece on top. It looks like a breast! Take a crumbled up piece of tin foil, place it over the assembly and twist it around. Make sure you pay attention to the metal nipple.

What happens is food spills and splatters onto the igniter and keeps the igniter from making contact with the burner. THat is the little spark you see before the burner lights.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post

Also, one will light, but the other one won't.
    Even if I put a flame to it and it's on the ignition are (clicking sounds being made),
    nothing happens. No flame.
    You really should CALL the GAS Company that services your house!

Before you indentiy youself and give your address,
    ASK if they will come out and check / re-light your auto-ignition burners;
    and if they will, IS there any CHARGE for doing it?

MOST Gas Companies will do re-lights and very minor tune-ups and repairs
    to gas appliances either for "free" or at very reduced costs.

If the appliance is either unsafe or requires major repairs, the Gas Rep *WILL*
    turn it off and "Red Tag" it - meaning it can't be turned on and used till
    an "approved repairman" fixes it and certifies to the Gas Company that it's
    been repaired properly.

If the Gas Company doesn't do "free" repairs; call a dealer for the brand of
    stove you have and ask them 'how much $$' for a service call.

Get the stove properly serviced by a trained pro - you DON'T want the house
    to go *BOOM* when you light the stove!

I always called my brother about things like this before he passed...the first emergency type of thing like this I will panic without him. He worked on appliances...I had cleaned my burners and then starting making the noise like they were trying to ignite...I called him, he said unplug it fast it will short out....get a blow dryer and dry them off...it worked.

Wish I could help I am not sure what that could be....
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post
    You really should CALL the GAS Company that services your house!

Before you indentiy youself and give your address,
    ASK if they will come out and check / re-light your auto-ignition burners;
    and if they will, IS there any CHARGE for doing it?
    I think she has an electric ignition stove. THere is no pilot light/flame on the newer stoves. There is an electric element that 'arcs' to the burner assembly igniting the gas-which only escapes when the knob is turned to the on position.

But,it is a good idea to call the gas co. to check it out.

I have UGI for my gas service. I wonder if they'd come out. I don't have a service contract with them though. I had one when I first moved in, but it was just for the furnace. That was the only thing they actually gave them out for I think, and gas hot water heaters. I can call and check though.

It is a newer stove. I still have all the paperwork from the owners before me (they kept receipts for everything the bought for the house, which is a good thing for me).

It wasn't wet under the burner cover, but I'm sure it had gotten wet before, between cleaning it and one of the cats peeing on it. Yeah... I know, lovely cat pee on gas stove. Only one time have they ever jumped up on the front and turned the dial to on. It freaked me out cause I came home, opened the door to the house and smelled gas. I know I always turn everything off, and I hadn't used the stove that day. It was Boris or Furbee I think, and they must have jumped up facing the front of the stove and hit the dial. Usually they jump up on the window seat and walk across the sink and then to the stove (not that I allow it, but that's what they do).

I still don't know what that residue was. I don't know if it was the stuff that Richard mentioned, like stuff that came off from the front burners or what. It wasn't like ash, not sooty. It was definitely more like sandy stuff.