Thread: I made a little red penguin. *AND A MOUSE*

Threaded View

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

I made a little red penguin. *AND A MOUSE*

Yeah, I just got kind of a wild hair this past weekend and really wanted to start creating stuff. I love making things, it always makes me feel good. But, I really have no idea how. Sooo....

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a bunch of different colors of felt squares, and a yard and a half of pink, black and white felt. Bought some needles, thread, glue, etc...

I got really frustrated trying to figure out how to make stuff just looking at photos online, but I managed to make something that is recognizable. I made a little penguin. Of course, I didn't know that's what I was making at first, so he's RED, hahaha. But, he's still cute, and very obviously handmade!

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to clean up the stitching on him? What kind of glue works best for felt? I got "no sew fabric glue", but I read the bottle later and it states "temporary hold for basting and stitching" so I don't guess that's what I really need. I really need glue to attach little feet and wings, beaks, etc.

The biggest thing, though, is how to hide and secure the ends of the thread. I did an all right job, but it's a little messy looking. I had to sew the feet, beak and wings, too, because the glue didn't work...and I was using black thread. So, he's a bit of a patchy little thing.

I want to make a bunch of little guys at some point, and start dressing them in recognizable clothes (like characters from books, tv and movies...famous people, musicians, etc). I know a lot of my famiy and friends would like them.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I've ever tried anything like this...well, besides a little knitting I did a couple years back, and a few things in elementary and junior high.

He's about three inches tall, and stuffed with polyfil.
    Last edited by finn's mom; 10-22-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer